Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Same, assuming there's going to be a few scrums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Jack McGrath was bloody good, so unfortunate with injury

Probably one of Ireland and Leinster’s greatest ever props but doesn’t get much of a look in as he kind of faded away after the injuries, move to Ulster and eventual retirement

Brilliant player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's phenomenal. Doesn't take way from the poor defensive effort v mun.

• Advertisement

Yeah, agreed, it really frustrated me how many times he allowed Archer to get away with having his feet set way too far back, and then just bellyflopping down when the pressure came on. He'd just reset the scrum and then remind Archer once again to bring his feet further up.

The sole penalty he gave to Munster in the scrum as well was a terrible call - he claimed Leinster weren't driving straight, but it's obvious on the slow-mo replay that Leinster are driving through and the Munster pack is splintering.

You'd think even just logic would get into Busby's head there - Leinster clearly have a big physical edge in the scrum here. On the Munster balls they retained they go channel 1, in and out as quickly as possible, whereas the first Leinster put in they keep the ball in the scrum, drive Munster back and win the penalty. If you're the dominant pack and capable of pushing the opposition back like that, wtf would you then be crabbing sideways shortly later?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Was that the penalty early in the second half? Watching the game last night, it was a very harsh call. Loughman is driving across from the first moment and the entire scrum is moving infield thereafter. Busby was on the other side of the scrum but his AR was 10m away looking straight at it.

I think Busby was generally quite good though. He missed some stuff as any referee will but controlled things well and didn't take any crap. Leinster were on the edge in their dealings with him, disagreeing fairly strongly. I thought Ryan was fairly harshly done for not rolling on the penalty in front of the posts to bring it to 14-13. He had clearly rolled to the side and not obstructing any ball coming back. I think that interaction did pay off though as I'm not sure there was another defensive ruck penalty against Leinster aside from the Doris slapdown.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yeah, agreed, generally Busby had a good game. Couple of calls on both sides you'd quibble with, but you'll have that in every single game.

You could argue the penalty against McCarthy late in the game was a defensive ruck penalty (offside at the ruck), but I think it was clearly a wrong call. He warned McCarthy a ruck prior, but on the one he specifically penalises him on, McCarthy times his run perfectly and is very obviously onside at the time when Murray lifts the ball.

I did find him a bit precious in his dealings with some players - he marches Leinster back 10m for a penalty just after the Scannell yellow for Ryan speaking to him when he's not the captain, but he has a conversation in the second half with Jack Crowley as Crowley is lining up a penalty and asking him to yellow Andrew Porter. There should be some consistency there at least you'd expect.

Equally - have no idea why he spoke to Andrew Porter after Casey's little petulant shove on Porter. It was Dan Sheehan who retaliated by shoving Casey back, Porter just looked kind of bemused during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Murray can't roll the ball with his hand on the deck. He has to use his foot for that. It's something that isn't called too often (nor is it really done that often anymore) but when it should come into play if the opposition react to it. McCarthy's error was not asking/pointing that out to the referee. The offside is something that will happen and sometimes will be marginal either way, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Busby was inconsistent is my issue with him. And this does appear to be a theme.

Marching us 10 for JGP not giving the ball back all the while not pinging Casey for starting the scuffle before the line out was non sensical. If one is a pen the other is all day.

His feedback was also extremely poor. He was constantly in Porters ear with feedback that didn't need to be any more words than "you're mullering Archer in the scrum". He's constantly in Archers ear too coaching him about what he wants to see. Archer doesn't do it and the reward is a reset?

Also Leinster finally ask him about Ahern launching himself across the lineout. Busby says to him to stop jumping across, he continues to do so and nothing.

I can reconcile with a ref missing some decisions. I can also reconcile with a ref having a frustrating interpretation of the rules.

But a ref actively NOT making decisions is a frustrating one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I thought Busby was actually quite good tbh, I don't think either team benefitted more than the other. For all the not making decisions, I think there are non-decisions Munster could point to too.

I think he wasn't overly officious but was stern enough to keep things from simmering over.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

That's a great answer in fairness!

Interesting piece on Jack Conan today saying the positions didn't matter to him and Doris as their roles in ruck and set plays often don't reflect the number they wear, so maybe it's not such a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

La Rochelle have started the season very poorly. They're 11th in the table and have won just three or their eight fixtures. We know they're a side that can raise their level to meet the opposition's, but right now they have more on field issues than Leinster.

Sale, by contrast are top of the premiership. Could be a tricky match even if there are doubts about the overall quality of that league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect we'll be without Ross Byrne for our Euro matches which is not great for Leinster either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

The way Europe is set up they should qualify for knockouts regardless.

I don't wish injury on anyone but there is a log jam at 10 even with Johnny gone.

Leinster need to see Harry and Frawley at 10 in Europe. Its potentially a big month for both of them.

Harry had a knee heavily strapped when running as the 24th man at the weekend so hopefully he is fit enough for some gametime this weekend.

Hopefully not, but I think you're right. He looked very uncomfortable sitting on the bench after coming off.

If he's unavailable then it has to be Frawley starting at 10. He's a better athlete than Harry Byrne and can stand up to physical threat which Danty will bring.

It's a shame whats happened to Harry. I don't think he's as good as he was at 21 before he picked up all those injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Frawley definitely has something. And the last time Leinster's starting 10 was injured in a game against Munster in a "neutral" venue things didn't go all too badly, eh?

Nienaber arrived in Dublin last weekend and starts coaching the side today.

Hopefully that's enough time to bed in a change or two before the La Rochelle match.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Frawley is a solid placekicker and is very physically robust for the position but his kicking out of hand and his ability to initiate or playmake aren't at the level required for Leinster right now. That isn't to say it won't get there but Prendergast in terms of heads up rugby and kicking out of hand is miles ahead. I think they are very comfortable with Frawley giving them an additional kicking option at 12 if needed or at times filling in at 15. He has utility player written all over him which is a great thing for Leinster but maybe not for Frawley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

His kicks for touch were fine on Saturday. Perhaps the hoists need work. Would you seriously be considering starting Prendergast for the upcoming Heino/derby matches? There's a lot more downside to that imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Ooops.

Much relieved that Frawley performed on Saturday, but with Harry carrying a knock ? we're looking at Prendergast on the bench for European games.

I would continue with more experienced players for the larger games for the moment but I think Prendergast will give the coaching staff some headaches which is a good thing for Leinster at the end of the day,

I don't think the injuries long term are that bad that an extra player needs to be brought in, worst case scenario if everything went to crap, they could find a serviceable fly half on a short term loan to cover them but I can't see that happening.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Serves Leinster right, tbh, for naming co-captains. Stupid idea

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I don't disagree on the co-captains concept, but you're still expecting consistency from the referee there.

It's a bad look anyway asking for opposition players to be yellowed (especially in the ridiculous situation he was asking for it), but he (Crowley) also has no business at all to be having that conversation with the ref. Ref should have shut it down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He did alright on Saturday, but I am uncomfortable relying on a player that Leinster have very definitively decided is not suited to the position a number of years ago. Different coaches and all that I guess, but Leinster have pretty clearly shown they do not consider him a 10 in the last 3/4 seasons.

Would like to see him get himself involved more in play if he's going to be at 10 also.

Byrne is out of the Connacht game. If Frawley is named to start at 10 this weekend we know what the line up will be for La Rochelle.

If Ross is out, I would go with Harry. Harry has done well so far this season. RB missing probably assures Frawley makes the squad for La Rochelle.

I don't know what to make of Busby. For me, he was very inconsistent. The scrum was really reffed poorly. But, I prefer Busby to Frank Murphy. On the captain issue, Leinster should announce just who is captain that day.

Jacques Nienaber is finally at work in UCD.

• Advertisement

I would prefer RB in situ for his familiarity with the players that will suit up for Europe. I'm fine with HB also.

It's food for thought though what Frawley brings. He slots in just about anywhere.

Advertisement