Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gone

• 20-10-2023 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭

Irish detective Theo Richter and Kiwi Detective Diana Huia team up to find a young Irish couple who have vanished from a small New Zealand town, battling community fears of a connection to a series of historic mountain murders. Starring Richard Flood and Acushla-Tara Kupe. Watch this Sunday at 9.30pm on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Might have potential.

It appears to have been shown already in New Zealand in May this year looking at the IMDB page for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭tiegan

Watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it - season two set up already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Found it a bit slow.

How much TV licence money was spent to send people to New Zealand.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It’s just ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Irish cop and the reporter aren't very likeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nice to see Deathstroke aka Slade Wilson with two eyes 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Photobox

You can't have just a bog standard detective show any more. Your main characters have to have their 'inner demons'. Thought it was only ok. Clichéd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Radio5

To be fair, the 'inner demons' aren't new in cop dramas. Alcohol dependency, relationship and family breakdown, PTSD - even if it wasn't called that, cop coming back to their unwelcoming hometown, have all been there for a long time.

I thought it was ok, will watch again next week. Nobody particularly likeable but then it's only episode one. The final scene was interesting, it might be something or nothing.

That's true, I just think its clichéd now, the struggles these characters have in modern shows and I think Theo hammed it up somewhat. I know they have to have these side storylines to make it more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I like her , more interesting than the Irish detective anyway

I thought she was ok, that journalist is a right pain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Both cops=personality-free zones I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I found it very difficult to understand the Maori cops accent. Had to really focus in on what she was saying but still missed bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I couldn't hear what any of them were saying. Thought it was my hearing! Kept turning the volume up

I was hoping last nights episode would be better.

I can't understand half what the NZ characters are saying and the Irish detective and reporter as still annoying twats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I also have difficulty with the NZ characters and their accents. It really is a poor series. I doubt I will be watching any more.

• Advertisement

I know a few New Zealanders and I understand them perfectly. One even complains that I speak too fast.

I have very little problem with the others on the show either, just her. She seems to speak with her mouth shut or something so I can't even lipread.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I'd hate to have the 2 of them looking for me if I was missing, very little work being done.🙄😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I enjoyed it last night. a lot of things starting to make sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's strange how the English accent got massacred after they landed in NZ, especially the vowels, but not so much in "Straya".

It doesn't take long to get used to it though, or shouldn't. 😜

I thought a Garda in a foreign country would only be allowed to observe what is happening and not actually get involved but yer man is going around like a bald version of Dirty Harry on steroids.

These Fallon gangsters are laughable, in real life that reporter would be in the ground with a bullet in her head.

Shocker, two police officers sharing a joint!

Big finale next week presumably.

A limited number of suspects left now.

They actually had a good storyline and could have wrapped it up in 3 or at most 4 episodes if they just stuck to it instead of dragging the arse out of the whole thing by throwing in all the Maori stuff which had nothing to do with solving the case.

• Advertisement

I'm confused 😕😕😕.

In what way? They solved Kieran's murder and why & by whom Sinead was kidnapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

What happened the journalist & who was in the shadows.

She went to check out the property linked to the Mountain Murderer. It was in a remote location and she drove their alone. Frank's (the guy in prison whose son died) ex-wife told her where it was. We don't know who was in the shadows, presumably the murderer but it was someone she recognised, so she had met them during her time in NZ. Presume the blood on her phone is to suggest that she has been killed/injured by this person - maybe a set up for a possible season 2. that's my reading of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It could be Fallon using the whole Mountain Murder site as cover.

• Advertisement

They will be doing well to get another season out of it.

Wonder what the ratings were like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was gone after episode two. I preferred to watch paint dry.

I caught the last 10 minutes or so by accident, and thought the paint was not dry yet. Slow as could be with absolute nonsense. A guy with a double barrelled shotgun waving it about and pointing it at anyone - five people in the room. What does he do about the other three if he kills two of them? And they were all spread about the room - daft. And a pointless cliff hang at the end - phone ringing out - for series two, if there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭ax530

Think only two people knew she was looking for the hut so it must be one of those women.

Assume the skeleton was the cop girls mother.

But no idea who that murdered is.

I watched few episodes had hoped the finale would have been better.

Was the skeleton human? I thought it was another goat, but maybe that's just me. Were they hinting that Buster had some dark secrets? Or did Fallon set the whole thing up to 'take care' of Aideen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

Who were rated the better actors NZ or Ireland!

Ireland wins understanding the accent part so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I watched it all thought it was ok, watchable.

I found the reason for the blackmail kind of funny and so so progressive.

The scene of the company boss recoling in horror as he saw what was on the USB stick.

Not a dead body, or some snuff movie, or gratuitous violence, but stats showing his company were not as environmentaly friendly as they were supposed to be.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

The skeleton was from an animal not a human.

Frank hinted about Dana's mother a lot, telling Aileen to take a closer look at her, which made me think Buster was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only getting round to watching this now, the basic story is interesting enough...but that lead Irish detective guy is absolutely brutal...so wooden, not seen him in anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 starts October 20th on RTE.

Advertisement