Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Over the last two days I've been given quite a few close passes, mostly from lazy driving. Had a taxi driver yesterday evening pass me quite closely. I caught up with him at a set of red traffic lights in Newcastle (Co. Dublin) and as his window was half down I just said in "if you are unable to overtake safely then maybe driving isn't the career choice for you" and moved in front. He shouted out his window to me "I didn't see you" with a look of seriousness. This was despite me having a hi-viz ankle band, a luminous yellow backpack, a solid red light, a flashing red light and a spinning red light around my Cycliq camera lens. Plus it wasn't dark! I just gave him the "are you a fuppin eejit" look before the light went green.

Today however, I was treated to a few close passes whilst out with the club. The worse was someone on really important business driving outside Intel who felt the need to beep us several times before skimming past us just to make sure we knew how badly we ruined his day 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

To make it worse that car 'lives' about thirty seconds down the road !

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

A lot of those "I didn't see you"s are just "**** you"s in disguise. They saw you all right. Easiest reply they can hit you with is "I didn't see you".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh I'm well aware that the taxi driver saw me. He even moved out slightly to get past me. It was more the absolute stupidity of his comment given the amount of crap I carry to make me visible (plus he was well able to see me when we were talking).

But that's the point, it's not a stupid comment: it's designed to antagonise. It has purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Don't think it is meant as an antagonistic comment, I think it is just a general excuse when there is no plausible one. One they think they would get away with if they walked into someone coming down the street. Like an auto reaction, rather than the more honest, I seen you but my brain just didn't care to give enough time to think the situation, likelihood or consequences through. As a species we are quite atrocious at those two things, even worse at putting them together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I consider it a reflex and no more. And I know they saw me, but they generally don't register me.

My reflex now is to using a form of sign language tell them to cop the **** on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

'I didn't see you...

because I didn't look properly. '

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had one elderly lady tell me recently 'I'm very sorry, I couldn't see you, you've no lights there at the back'.

"I've three lights at the back, mam, one solid and two flashing".

'Oh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nearly forgot about this with everything else that was going on, apologies if there's another thread on it.

Have to say don't see many 'proper' sentences like this here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Frankly, I think that sentence is disgusting and I hope the state appeals it. The damage she did to that poor man and his family, to the point he couldn't even come to court to give his victim impact statement, and she'll likely do no more then 3 years. Across the water she'd have got at least twice that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am so used to ridiculously lenient sentences that I am surprised at the length of this one.

You are absolutely correct though

The driving ban should have been for life imo. The fact that she was absolutely pissed working with toddlers should be another alarm bell, but I'd also suspect the prison time is near the max amount that can be awarded

She got a "proper" sentence because he is a Garda inspector; simple as that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect it's about normal for the offence - manslaughter would get 10-15 years i suspect had he actually died in this incident (based on the document below) so the fact that this was not a fatal incident would have knocked a good deal off that.

"Offences in the high range of seriousness attract a sentence in the range of 10 to 15 years. These cases tend to involve aggravating factors which may include a history of violence between the accused and the victim, indifference or callousness towards the victim, use of a potentially lethal weapon, and death resulting from an unlawful act carrying a high risk of serious injury of which the accused was aware or ought to have been aware. Previous convictions for assault or other relevant convictions may also be a factor."

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

10 minutes into my first ride with this light on my head tube (wearing a long-sleeved high-vis jacket and high-vis gloves) and a BMW driver pulls out without slowing in front of me on a mini-roundabout. She apologised profusely and said that the sun was in her eyes (it was behind broken cloud). Presumably the idea is that if the sun is in your eyes you just drive on regardless. I wonder if her remorse will drive her to buy a pair of sunglasses.

Mid Cobber Front Bike Light | USB Rechargeable | Knog

EDIT: I guess the sun was in the driver's eyes: Luas services between The Point and Smithfield stopped after collision between car and tram (thejournal.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Tragically and bizarrely, in the courts of this country there is a precedent and that actually is considered a valid defence

And it should've been thrown out. That driver was driving west, the sun was behind her in the east at 8 am or whatever it was.

It's actually criminal that it was accepted. Should've had a sentence for the **** driving and another for the trying to bullshit the court

I am starting to hate a certain type of ebike riders and, in the most click bait of titles, it is not the one you are thinking of...

It is all men my age, commuting, just ploughing on through groups stopped at lights, through reds as other cyclists come from other junctions. I used ungentlemanly language to express my frustration at the one who winged me while I waited for the red light to change this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I feel your pain. Kind of goes to prove the old adage *, a d**k is a d**k whether he's driving his car, cycling his bike, or queuing for a bus.

Edit: * may or may not in fact be an old adage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The schoolboys salmoning on them really pisses me off. Cop the F on you're 15 not 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's an adage as old as time.

I suppose some of it is the commuter mentality now on ebikes.

When I commute in Dublin by bike I know it'll take in and around the same amount of time whether I bull on or enjoy the ride. 5 mins either way. So I enjoy my 25 mins of solitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah I'd have done the same in school. Unfortunately there's a reason nobody wants to insure young fellas in cars.

I really don't feel they are as much of a danger as they appear to be. I used to see them all the time and while they annoyed me, I can't recall an incident where they continued on a collision course but your mileage may vary. Men my own age cutting through people going in the same direction are much more annoying although only appear around commuting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess you can only go so far when it comes to legislating for what is essentially rude behaviour as opposed to dangerous behaviour. (And the behaviour of other cyclists during peak commute time does annoy TF out of the me but it's generally just rude behaviour as opposed to actually dangerous behaviour).

As an aside, I generally feel less aggrieved about someone on an e-bike ploughing through to the top of the queue of cyclists at red lights as I know that at least they won't be holding people up on the other side. The slow cyclist whom everyone just overtook shoving their way to the top of the queue again on the other hand...

100%, never have an issue with someone who was clearly gaining on me going ahead. The lad on the ebike came through me and someone else despite a) I overtook him only 25 seconds before, b) there wasn't space (he hit me), well there would have been if he had slowed c) he went through us all at the same speed he was tipping along at, maybe 30kmph, straight through a ped junction, which someone was on but luckily he missed but he couldn't see because of his speed and there was a large vehicle blocking his view on approach. d) he was a ****, not knowing your a **** doesn't mean your not a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have had that discussion/argument with a few cyclists/commuters up and down the quays over the past few years. Narrow cycle lanes so not always possible to overtake and when you do they shoal at the next set of lights and often plough through them for the process to begin again. Some cyclists are genuinely baffled that their actions are annoying, others are somewhat apologetic and others just double down on the rudeness.

One that really took the biscuit earlier this year was a middle aged female cyclist on the south quays sauntering along on a Dutch style hybrid. I overtook her 5 times from before O'Connell bridge to the entrance of the Phoenix Park. After the 3rd overtake I advised her if she abided by the rules of the road and didn't keep breaking red lights I wouldn't have to keep overtaking her, by the 5th time she had a go at me shouting that I needed to mind my own business. Well when you actions impact me then it's also my business.

I think you need to mind your own business too and concentrate on your own cycling. I'd never give out to another like what you're doing. Plus, I avoid cycle lanes if I can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a weird one - try explaining to non-cyclists why that sort of behaviour is irritating, and they look at you like you've two heads.

• Advertisement

I've interjected once and only once. Some arseholes kept mounting the kerb at the 5 lamps to get to the front of the queue of anything from 5-10 cyclists. He'd then saunter on at a plod with limited overtaking unless you did it at the junction.

I said something very non confrontational after about 5 days of this and he lost the head, but he then came a cropper because he was so annoyed he wasn't paying attention. He had to drop anchor and get off his bike when he didn't realise he'd gone through a light I think and nearly smacked into a turning car. He then got pissy with the driver.

But I generally say nothing and wait for the moment to just leave them behind. Use it as training

Advertisement