Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Looks like another bus set on fire tonight in town.

Hopefully this behaviour ends quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Yep, it was parked on Parnell Square west. Cops got them as far as I know.

Thanks.

Why arent they (or parents) made to pay for the damage. I just dont get it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You want people's actions to have consequences?!?! We don't really do that type of thing here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Surely they shouldn't be lying buses over in the city centre unattended given the current climate

Fact of the matter a bus service on the M50 is not serving any bus stops so its not really that efficient especially if the bus has to leave the M50 to serve a bus stop/s then return to the M50.

W4 already uses the M50 between Liffey Valley and Blanch as did the 76a and the proposed N8 will be using it from Blanch to the Airport. The other issue is the M50 is a carpark for the peak hours so time savings will likely be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Those groups of scumbags who are setting buses on fire on the streets of Dublin really are a new level of filth.

Dublin Bus should make those responsible to pay for the damages to their fleet out of the scumbags (or scumbag parents) dole payments to really make them learn a hard lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Yes cause that will make them feel less marginalised and more supportive of social cohesion.

In any case, this is not a thread for such a social discussion.

The first L25 bus from Dún Laoghaire is using an SG this morning.

The first S8 to Citywest is also using an SG as well.

Both buses are in the green/yellow NTA livery.

The route display for the L25 has Dúndrum written in English and Irish.

However no 'via XXXXXX' sign is included underneath it.

• Advertisement

Their "feelings" do not trump their social responsibilities.

If any of us commit premeditated criminal damage, we should be made to pay for it.

Its called equality of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

This I think is rather typical for networks that have vehicle diagrams encoded properly—they end up showing the full string of the vehicle's workings rather than a single trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

And it seems like the L55 got a streetlite (12108), that will probably be on it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

... but also have the extinguished routes still listed - 17 & 175 on your example. Comparing TFI app live stop times to the Google Maps Departuture Boards, Google is still showing scheduled times only for the moment.

I'll be interested in seeing loadings on the S6 on the section between Rathfarnham and Dundrum on Tuesday mornings which seem to be about the peak use. Even with the increased frquency, piling all the college-/Luas-/Dundrum-bound trips from the 17, 75 and 175 onto the S6 is potentially problematic. Hope their modelling was top notch.

Yep I did spot this morning that the 17 was still showing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Some people who previously used the 175 may be better staying on the likes of the 15 and 15b to Rathgar and change onto the more frequent S4 rather than the S6.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Yeah I agree and I think the S6 could go to every ten minutes at peak times.

The Sunday frequency on the S6 and S8 could also be increased to every 15 minutes. The routes have big trip generators at the weekend for people who want to shop in Dundrum or go for a walk in Dun Laoghaire. Even though it's a Sunday, there would be a demand which might warrant a service better than every 20 minutes. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

I took a spin on the S8 from Dun Laoghaire to The Square in Tallaght this afternoon. It took roughly an hour and ten minutes. No more than 20 on the bus at any one time, with plenty of short journeys. I can't offer a comparison to the 75 on a Sunday afternoon. It's been at least a year since I'd last been on a 75 (plus I'm conscious that the 75 took a different route between Dun Laoghaire and Tallaght).

The driver had to pull in twice to clarify directions over the radio. That's not a complaint about the driver. He was openly telling passengers it was his first time driving the route and everyone on board just accepted that. It's more a comment about the standard of route familiarisation training that was provided prior to the route going live, given that it is a route that weaves a bit.

Speaking of the S8, it seems it uses the slip lane outside Frank Keane to turn around for now, since there's no right turn directly from Stradbrook Road onto Monkstown Avenue. Not what I expected to be the solution!

It's actually Monkstown Road. Not Monkstown Avenue.

But yeah that is a very interesting move for the S8 at the moment. That right hand turn at the top of Temple Hill probably won't be built until the Blackrock to Merrion CBC planning application gets approved by ABP.

When is that decision due again?

The S2 and 74 were also using SG's for their duties for their first day of service today.

The TFI Live app on Android also has the wrong stop written in for the S8 stop opposite Newpark Comprehensive School. The stop is named in the app as "Fleurville Road, St Augustine's Park".

Although; that stop name is supposed to be named "Fleurville Road, Castlebyrne Park".

I don't know whether if errors like that from the NTA/TFI are a recurring trend for stops used on the other new routes that came out in service since yesterday?

• Advertisement

The GT's are out on the L25 for their early runs this morning. The GAI SG's are still on the S8 today.

Also the single bus stop pole that was used for the 17, which is Stop 3083, located outside Frascati SC in Blackrock does not have any real time info on it anymore.

I would assume that Stop 3083 will eventually disappear very soon maybe before or after Christmas.

The real time info for the S6 at Frascati is now shared at the bus shelter, at Stop 3084, which provides live times for the 4, 7, 7a, 84a and 703.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

Saw a new stop this morning for the 74 only on Patrick Street inbound on the approach to Christchurch. It's in a spot where traffic is often backed up so it will struggle to get into its lane for Winetavern Street while traffic cuts across it to the make the turn into High Street. A deeply, deeply stupid place to put a needless stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭alentejo

I saw an S4 (with passengers) driving up Rathgar Road towards Rathgar at 9 oc this morning. I am assuming the driver missed the turn onto Highfield Rd!

That is daft all they need to do is change it to except buses. DLR you had one job.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

The pole for stop 2083 has been missing for a few years now (think it was when the new shelter for stop 2084 got installed), but the 17 still technically served it. The RTPI screen still showed the 17 however as it was shared between both stops. Glad to see they finally just put the S6 onto stop 2084 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's fairly messy at Liffey Valley this morning. The W2 already cancelling many services. It doesn't look like they have the drivers to add the increased departures beyond what the 76 had. A lot of parked buses. The S4 doesn't seem to have any bus stop. It's waiting at the W2 stop 8062 and nobody seems to know it's there or where it should be. A lot of confused regular commuters today who didn't know anything about the changes. It has been very poorly advertised to those actually using the buses every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

Is it just me, or is Google Maps showing completely off the wall journey times since they loaded the new routes in? The 74 to leave Eden Quay at 12:30 arrives at Dundrum at 20:47 apparently. It's not just the new routes... the G1 to leave Castleforbes Road at 12:40 gets to Red Cow Luas at 23:45!

Also why are buses on the S8 displaying 'Kingswood Avenue' instead of simply 'Citywest' like the 175 did. Reminds me a bit of the whole N6 'Drogheda Mall' not quite as bad but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Is the routing of the S2 towards Rathmines from Heuston finalised, i.e. is it planned to permanently have that dog leg rather than using Steeven's Lane? I guess the O will have the same issue.

Advertisement