Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Heard nowt about my vetting but passed ctc vetting for home office inbetween waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 21 avjjken

if anyone interested, new campaign for call handlers live on join PSNI website. From experience exceptional role with decent pay and shift pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

@avjjken Thank you! Is it just Maydown again or have they opened for Belfast/Gough?

Never mind, checked and it is Belfast Armagh and Maydown for anyone wondering

Nope it’s open to all 3 sites this time. So the shift pattern varies. It’s either 10.5 or 12.5% for anyone coming in externally for the Monday - Friday 8-4 & 4-midnight pattern, I have done for a while whist isn’t a bad pattern. Then 20% for the patterns that cover nightshift, have to be in a while before can shift over to this pattern. Anyone wanting a foot in the door it’s a great start and I couldn’t recommend it well enough!

• Advertisement

Part of me is hoping and praying they’ve means they’ve found a little bit of cash, even if I know it’s not likely lol. Just as they recruited call handlers in October.

I’m not sure about student officer but I believe contact management has been given a bit of a go ahead, still other lists active for call handlers and dispatchers so other role could be advertised soon too. Honestly I’m not even sure I would go for student officer anymore staff has so much better benefits and pay

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

But I thought they didn't have funding?

Dont get this at all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

G4s are always looking for Station Enquiry Assistants too. Although the Salary. Pension etc wouldn't be a good

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

@avjjken How long between the campaign closing and you being offered a post was there? If you could remember thanks.

• Advertisement

Mine was a disaster, I originally applied 2021 around same time as the student officer, got a call to do custody 2022 went to it thinking it wouldn’t be that long. Got injury and was on restrictions was surgery in custody and heard that course was happening in October for Call Handler so I did a transfer then during the course I got an email asking was I interest in call handling still. With how it is I can’t see it taking too long the ones on my course it’s happened within the year for them. It is a really good foot in the door and there is a lot of foundation knowledge learning that anyone can take forward. I know it’s frustrating but I would try and get potential time frames and that kind of thought out of your head cause it will honestly just drive you insane, public sector it might not be doable one day and next day it is and honestly if anyone gets it wouldn’t be surprised if you stayed in that role and even considered going for dispatch instead of student officer. Shift pattern much better, pay is much better and not dealing with anywhere near as much crap and once shift over you go home no workload to come back into just fresh shift.

Im considering applying. Is a call handler someone who answers 999 calls then a dispatcher is someone who assigns call signs to jobs?

Yes Call Handlers take 101 & 999. Dispatchers take 999 if it’s very busy but majority is all call handlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

The pay is pretty poor or I would apply to get a foot in the door, 23-24k a year to work shifts wouldn't be visable for me unfortunately for me 😔

Trust me it’s advertised a lot lower than what you actually receive. For me to drop to student con now would take my 5 years to be back to the same pay.

So what should a call handler expect to earn annually if figure advertised is alot lower?

Easily 30K, also OT most weekends if you want, don’t have too if don’t want too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Civilian staff are under NICS terms and conditions

In addition to the % of salary uplift for shift working (Shift disturbance allowance)

Normal rota'd hours for civilian staff Weekends;

Saturday 1.5x

Sunday - Double time.

Over time;

Weekday 1.333x

Saturday 1.83x

Sunday - double time

Also as Police civilian you get mileage from home to work and back for overtime

The current motor mileage allowance rates are:

• cars, all engine capacities up to 10,000 miles 45p per mile, over 10,000 miles 25p 

per mile;

• motor cycles unlimited mileage – 24p per mile;

• Public Transport Rate – 25.7p per mile;

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lighthouse666

Anyone else praying that Stormonts up and running in next month like people are predicting so we can finally see some movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Tbh, I've given up at this point and stopped getting my hopes up on predictions and media lol

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Had to fill in medical form again 😩

why was that? I just signed something saying I changes and emailed it to them

@georgie1305 To be fair, in the past, in similar situations like this, trainers in GV have been sent out to stations to be normal police officers in the interim when GV had next to none student officers. So at least that hasn’t happened yet as there are only 8 student officers currently so that easily could have happened by now. Suppose it’s a sign that the PSNI themselves haven't given up on this recruitment campaign.

Just out of curiosity when did the 8 start? I thought there were intakes April May June, surely the June ones are finished and was that not a larger squad?

Sometimes Student Officers can fail a stage of the college or get injured or something which can cause them to have to repeat a section of learning. For example, Student Officers have their first exam after 7 weeks or roughly around then and if they failed that exam they could end up having to repeat those 7 weeks, causing small bunches like that number of 8 to form over the 21 weeks.

Ah didn’t even think of that, thanks for confirming!

Same boat as you, only here now as police where at my house as fiancées mums house got robbed and they stole my partners engagement ring. To be honest it seems like the police are so understaffed the officers can't even answer the most basic of requests as they are all over the place. Caught the thugs but no sign of her ring which cost me a small fortune just things that weren't of any real value.

Finally got vetting back lol

• Advertisement

Take it you passed then lol

Advertisement