Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

I don't really care whether it's cheaper to buy silage or make your own, I don't care whether a contractor is cheaper or more expensive. It's the stress and uncertainty I want to cut out especially with wet ground and sh1t weather. Relying on contractors is not ideal. I put out 2 or 3 tanks of parlour washings every day for the past week an it rained Sunday. Job done and no need to be entertaining the contractor with his diseased owl tank and wellies around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I'd reckon Cross contamination between farms using slurry contractors is as big a issue as wildlife currently regarding tb infection and its recent upsurge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

Alot of cross contamination from the contractors mouth too. They're great for spreading other people's business around. It's not something that bothers me personally but also I have no interest in hearing about other people's issues either.

Begged for a bill for 4 years from my slurry contractor before I got sick of it. Dropped him off a cheque last spring for a couple of thousand and that's the last I heard of it.

I have no plans to reduce contractors use but their getting more difficult to deal with as the years are going by, their obviously under too much pressure and they surely most leave you hanging no matter how much pre notice you give them to go off do bigger farms on short notice. Getting my contractor on the phone is an achievement in itself. I’d be afraid to change and end up with a worse operator and then try and have to go back. In future I think basic things like fert/ some amount of slurry every farmer will have to be able to do themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Most lads that buy silage all the time get the pick of it. Know a couple of lads that buy a good percentage of it and they have the pick of it especially if you pay regularly and always take it.

Know of one regular buy went back to his supplier the year before last and as he was not taking his full quota paid the supplier and got him to store it for the following autumn. The last thing a lad that sells it wants is being left with half a yard of it in April

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Contractors are under pressure with costs and labour also, lads that do abit for me are serious operators

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The getting someone in to feed stock is one I can’t fathom ….if an operation with few hundred cows can’t afford a tractor with a loader and few attachments at a minimum it’s all a matter …..see these types of operation and the man/woman that owns it see themselves as a manager and they don’t want to get there hands dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

One of them near me. Big operation and the only farm machine they use is a quad. Everything else is contracted out, including the feeding during the winter. Father and son operation and the father is the manager and rarely in wellies. The son does a bit around, mainly feeding calves on the quad. Hired help in for milking all the time.

The only plus for him with the fertilizer spreading is the contractor probably has a GPS controlled spreader and this gaurantees him the eco worth over 6k per year to him.

However I think that fertilizer spreading and feeding should always be in-house. Neither are capital intensive investments. You would feed and spread fertilizer on any size of farm with a sub 100hp 20+ year old tractor. His is in one block which makes it easier again.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Apparently last week saw the highest cull cow slauterings ever recorded and 63% of those were P grade so obviously dairy type cows.

• Advertisement

Good few small light jex type cows went through local mart 380/450’kg made 60/70 cent a kg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We reckon we do 50 k s worth of work at home here including silage and slurry.getting it done is no fun sometimes but at the same time there s almost less pressure than dealing with contractors,you just do the work when you can and the expression I use about it is you don't save money but you do earn it.fellas will have a fit over this when I say it but the days spent at silage are the best paying days in the year

It's the bad years like now where trying to find 30-40k to pay the contractor is what kills a farm solely relying on them, its only from late 2020 on that machinery went mental pricewise, upgraded the fert spinner/tank/mowers/ and tractor that year between slurry/mowing/ fert spreading, if Contracting it all out id be looking at a 30k yearly bill, all the above gear is payed for after next year and all is still in great condition, should be some good savings with a few euro left aside for repairs/maintanice when theirs no hp payments to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Or maybe the wife wants her own career and not to be giving that up to support her husband's?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Did over 100 acres of pit silage this year, the bill wasnt 15k, done over 3 different days across the summer, lads gave me hand pull on the covers after. The silage crew were only on the farm 7-8 hours at a time.

I think i would get out of farming before i would go making my own silage.

Our maybe two good incomes are needed to pay a substantial mortgage in what looks like a really nice house their living in, it's a taboo subject when the best and good of Irish dairying are showed cased by our advisory body what the financials of the business are and is it actually possible to do what this lad seems to be achieving our is it built on a foundation of sand where the whole lot could unravel

And that is probably the largest contractor bill. Slurry would be about 50-60% of that at a guess

Slava Ukrainii

The thing is operations that @ the moment are maxed out for productivity and efficiency but highly leveraged with the bank will be in serious trouble going forward with nitrates and new banding rules. Where as where there is more room for efficiency gains things will be OK.

• Advertisement

The advantage with doing your own is it is a form of income averaging, in that in a bad year it will only cost the diesel to do the work and in a good year you can upgrade some of the gear. We wouldn't have had the massive tax bill to pay from last year because of large capital allowances carried forward. Also in a bad year like this one you can do it when the weather is on your side. We would have made all excellent silage this year, just hit the good but limited weather windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

No Kevin and i run veryyyyyyyyy different systems as you do you and i apparently........ I don't agree with Kevin's system. There's a lot of information missing from the interview. I have absolutely no time for teagasc or the bullshit they push on lads. Teagasc have changed their tune repeatedly over the years and over my lifetime. They are about to change again shortly and guess who's left holding the baby. So no I'm not bitter I've no need to be............let's call it cautious,world weary,suspicious of uninvested paid and government funded advise bodies . Some might even say I'm wise........now I hope this clears u the bitter issues for you. Cos I'm tired of listening to you. Go away and be bitter with someone else for poking holes in your system

Of course your wife having a good off farm job is going to be better. You're diversifying your income but the suggestion was that he needed his wife's income to keep the farm on the road. I doubt very much if that's the case, no one in their right mind would make a business plan based on a third party income

You're the lad on here attacking anyone who seems to be doing well

Everyone is hiding something according to you.

The Teagasc whinging is just as tiresome. No Teagasc rep ever held a gun to anyone's head. They're not infallible, everyone has to do their own due diligence. Their tune changes because circumstances change

I doubt people are going out of their way to call you wise

Their has to be a back-story re getting the funds for the rotary on a fully rented block, some serious voodoo accounting going on to get that loan approved

It’s a very distinct possibility …..if wife decides to stay at home full time and farm has to pay mortgage household bills and kids etc .wife could be bringing 40/50 grand and proably more to the table …..a considerable ball of money you’d agree …..I know there would be some savings in childcare but that extea wage would rake some replacing

Without pissing on anyone’s grace your bang on …..and at same time maby back story is none of our business but the story has gaps and all is not as rosey as it is portrayed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

How many cows as in what size farm operation would 40k cover for all the contracting fertiliser spraying etc included leave out feeding for winter......would 120 cows be a good estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Why when someone questions something it's immediately shouted down as bitterness? Im milking over 220, we do our own silage, feed our stock, fertiliser, slurry etc. Only hedgecutting and reseeding is contracted out. Own 300 acres and lease in 80.

I must be doing something wrong as I don't see how I'd have much left over after paying contractors to do everything, pay the lease on the majority of the land if i didn't own it and pay relief milkers as well as meeting any repayments.

Personally I wouldnt be investing on the strength of land I didn't own. All figures done here and cubicle spaces etc are based on owned land only.

Are there actually figures or accounts put forward by these farms through teagasc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

But teagasc our state advisor said i qoute jersey x cows all the way there supposed to give us gd advice based on the millions spent on research and we pay a milk levy if there advice is wrong which it has been why are we paying teagasc levy

Advertisement