Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Everyone has their own situations, and everyone has to make the most of those situations if they want to. Some cases are more advantageous than others but such is life.

There is likely not one of us here where what we have done would fit someone else's place or situation bang on or in some cases even any way close.

Grand to discuss things but throwing out aspersions is pointless imo.

That lad has held plenty discussion groups not just open days or whatever and answers away questions fine. Has worked hard to get where he is and it hasn't happened overnight, he put in time milking close to 20 rows of cows while pouring concrete etc the same day. Timing had a part too as it was done back before things went mad cost wise, the cost of construction alone might make it unviable today

Different ways of doing things and obv to apply things to your own situation you may have to read between the lines. Stuff done differently ways can lead to different outcomes. In my own case I bought ground boundsing that would only come up once in a lifetime but the the repayments on it if were put towards renting ground would rent 3 times the land area and could prob have put more towards facilities. Obv positives and negatives to every way of doing things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

This is the quote I said was bitterness, I don't see any question there, just a snide remark

He's dyed in the wool farmer of the year teagasc incorporated

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Bull calves could not be sold theres a slaughter ban now on calves

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

The importance of a second income on large farms is been way overstated here. A farm milking 200 cows will be costing over 300k to run, if the farm isnt profitable no off farm job will save it.

I was on the farm at a farm walk years ago and it was stated that land had been used as security, also that farm has made some saving on building costs front loading development at a fraction of current building costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭older by the day

In fairness we are only talking about the video we have seen. And us normal homosapien dairy farmers can't see how that system is working not to mind being future proof.

More luck to him. But would you advise a young fellow to copy him.

There are seasoned farmers on here a few weeks ago telling how their bank were slow to lend and how it was up to six percent interest.

This story is telling us, you can walk in from the side of the road, build a farm like that and not even have a spike to give in a round bale.

It's a bit like farm simulator

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Where do the bull calves on these farms go? Genuinly interested as i dont see it mentioned in any of the articles. I've no problem in saying we rear most of ours to finishing and we sell some as well. Sold some 5 week old holstein bull calves last week. 130 euro from yard to local farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We used to do our own silage. The hardship. Then having to milk etc, breakdowns, then face into covering the pit.

I don't know for him but I'd imagine it's sexed semen, leaving him with a handful of jex bull calves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What’s the plan going forward re rearing all your own calves ?

are you your cows a 106 kg N herd ? Are you still in 250 zone.

were still in 250 zone. Over half our land is rented /leased. I wouldn’t be farming fulltime if I was to only base my farm off land we owned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The phrase coined a few years ago for farm walks and PR purposes was "we sell them all to a local farmer".

It reminds me of the song "Not exactly lyin' but she's careless with the truth!"

Yes ours goes to a neighbour this time of year and we rear the majority of spring calves. There is a good demand and scarcity for calves this time of year. Look at any of the marts online for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mighten necessarily be a lie if the facility their going to, owners had farming interests also, it brings up another scenario in rearing costs and facilities on these farms where double the number of calves from this spring on will have to be carried, but that's a hornets nest teagasc are steering clear from bar rambling on about sexed semen and using high dbi bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Some farmers are great with machinery while other would break all around them. It's a total waste of money for some to buy their own gear.

We are a 220 zone. 106kg herd. I will rear the majority until it drops to 170kg then il sell most and drop back cows if needed. Will need to sell more next year now as the limit has dropped.

Every situation is different, I just treat leased land as if It could be gone in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

very true.. my wife continues to work fulltime away from the farm and i dont want her to stop working... better than having her around everyday doing my head in...

Weekly shop here would be averaging 300 euro, so ballpark 15k a year, done out of farm account, contrast that to a situation where the wife is picking up the shopping, paying it out of her salary, if going for a loan the above will have a huge bearing on calculating repayment capacity, with the 1st example having 15k less repayment capacity contrasted with the 2nd example everything else been equal drawings wise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It’s been well understated in my view ….a wife or husband or partner bringing a second income to the table is massive ……it can allow the farm to borrow more without worrying about paying a mortgage ,house bills and rearing kids

Sometimes less is more …..u go spending big money on yards ,storage etc for compliance based on a lot of rented ground **** hits fan if u loose ground or rent goes up ….land would want to be secured on 10/15 year lease

Before I brought alot of the machinery work in-house in 2020, my 2019 bill for 140 cows with the contractor doing everything bar the feeding was hitting 40k, I would of been spreading 30% of the slurry myself at the time aswell, per cow on a spring calving set-up maybe only making 3 months worth of silage grazing 280 plus days a year probably pare it back to 30k, our 200 euro a cow cash cost

• Advertisement

I hear you. Between getting help and everything cutting your own silage for most isn't practical. But surely spreading fert, spraying weeds, giving in silage to the cows is a part of dairy farming.

When I hear of machinery trouble this gives me a laugh.

Two kids off with the flu today so daddy day care is on his phone too much

I dont care what anyone says it not possible to fully lease a farm buy land and build facilities if anyone did all three id like to see the figures

• Another view on this.

A good farm accountant will typically do work for a lot of different farmers every year for many years over and over. They are in a unique situation where they see all income streams (in all glory including as low level as the dairy statements showing yields etc), all costs split out, know stock numbers, know acerage, capital investments etc and typically have a face to face meeting with each farmer at least once a year so fairly tuned in. All of this data will be sorted in a consistent fashion on their accounting software which is easy to slice and dice and compare. Who else has this level of information on the farming industry??

That’s a very valuable information bank and if the accountant is a good one will give a few bits of advice from the substantial amount of time he would have spent reviewing your fellow farmers accounts.

Not sure why you would snigger at a suggestion that you might be spending too much on vaccinations. This comment probably came from the fact that the accountants other farmers spend a lot less.

as others have said, maybe you have the wrong accountant, anyone can pull a set of accounts together and submit to the revenue following all the rules, a good accountant will go beyond that and also give advice, it might be simple tax planning or it could be advice from their wealth of experience and access to your peers / competitors. Only a fool would ignore that, doesn’t mean you have to follow it but at least give it some thought (eg is your vet over subscribing, is your local coop charging too much, are you using the wrong brands, what’s the root cause of the need etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

It depends on the scale of the farm, the larger the farm the less important it is.

We borrowed money for yard development, when the kids were very young and my wife wasnt working, neither of the two banks or finance ireland cared. Once the farm accounts demostrated repayment capacity thats all the mattered. We farm in a ltd which was a much bigger positive when looking for money

sure very few of us would be farming if we worried about the what if all the time

planning going in here for another slatted tank in the new year. It can be offset against tax and it’s needed

What if nitrates goes to 220 on u or let alone 170kg. Its not what if, its clearly being signposted as a possibility. That's without even losing any rented land u may have. Have u a plan if the country does hit 170kg/N in 2 years?

Im making plenty of money never need advice from accountantant to run my farm i use my own brain not like some and if things go wrong i dont blame accountant teagasc.Hasnt kevin moran said lately his buisness isnt viable if derogation goes wud u not think that wud have been in some of those buisness plans

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The more I think of it. It's a complete bag of shitt. No topper either. Over 100hect.

The Titanic could go in the holes that this story is missing

Fair play 👍👍👍but when dero is gone where will it leave you …..only my opinion but your stretching your system putting more cows on building more tanks buying more machinery based on a lot of leased land ….and speaking from experience when time comes your dad will have to step back his workload considerably you’ll need 40 k plus to attract a labour unit

• Advertisement

I’d have to chuck the sfp I think and take the chance. Say we get 2 more years at 250 then dero is gone completely, could take fines for 2 -3years before it’s really gone. We’re up to 2029 then.

there isn’t going to be enough land available for us all to farm sub 170. I think you’re going to see a lot of farmers dump the sfp if it means they can stay viable

Advertisement