Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

No it's not its simply holding social media companies to the same standards as TV stations or radio etc. If a TV station or a newspaper was to broadcast/publish hate speech and incitement to hatred, racist tropes etc they would be sued into oblivion. Social media companies should be held to the same standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nobody in Dublin has confidence in Helen McEntee. She's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Easier said than done given that social media platforms are not broadcasters in the way TV & radio are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

Indeed they do not broadcast in the same manner as TV or radio stations do but that doesn't change one iota that IMHO we need to legislate for the new technology so they are held to the same standards and face the same consequences for misbehaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They may not be "broadcasters in the way that TV and radio are", but they certainly are broadcasters; they take something said by one person and disseminate it indiscriminately to millions, which is pretty much what "broadcast" means. Two points about this:

First, it's mostly a commercial operation; social media platforms do what they do for profit.

Secondly, if a statement is harmful, it's largely the repetition of the statement to millions that causes the harm.

So, we have a problem here. Social media organisations have a financial incentive to broadcast statements as widely as possible, but any harm caused by that broadcasting mostly falls on other people, not on them, so they have no incentive to minimise or avoid that harm. Which means that their profits come at the expense of other people's rights and interests.

This is generally a bad setup. In general, we should arrange matters so that whoever profits from a particular activity should also bear the downside risks of that activity. For example, if you sell a product that turns out to be defective, you have to compensate people for the loss they incur from using the defective product. Or, if you drive a motor vehicle in public, you have to insure yourself so that, if people are injured by your driving, they'll be compensated. Etc, etc.

So, there's a real problem here. On the one had, free speech. On the other hand, free speech isn't really free; there's a big cost associated with it, especially when it's defamatory, dishonest, false, misleading or Trumpian. Who should bear that cost? And how do we arrange matters so that nobody has a profit-driven incentive to broadcast defamatory, dishonest, false, misleading or Trumpian material?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There have been a number of opinion polls now showing a drop in support for Sinn Fein. They have mostly been within the margin of error so can't be taken as significant yet. However, the consistency across polls is something to notice and the next two or three polls will show whether this is a trend.

Are you a Dubliner? Maybe you're the only one who has confidence in her.

I'm just challenging you putting your opinion out there as fact!

Do you expect everyone to say in my opinion before anything.

You can't deduce when someone's making an opinion clearly.

Instead of focusing on a silly point, why don't ya tell us your opinion on Helen McEntee.

• Advertisement

I don't need to give you or anyone else my opinion on her or anyone else because I haven't been professing anything regarding their competency!

However, it is not for the people of Dublin to decide if she is history given that she is a TD for Meath East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭pureza

I'll tell you mine then

She's the line minister who has taken cuts or rather not as many rises to her departments budget as government policy has been to lower taxes,rise the dole and pensions etc so as to fill voters pockets ahead of an election

That was a stupid policy given events

Sacking her and the garda commissioner for that would be as usefull as site banning you for expressing an opinion I don't agree with

It's political grandstanding

We're already hearing there are going to be many more arrests for looting and rioting

The eejits will feel the pain

Body cams and Facial recognition are going to be fast tracked

The party is going to be curbed for the thugs

It won't end because there's no legislating for eegitery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Agree with all this. If a certain company had been posting increasingly more unhinged and extremist disinformation to everyone's houses through the postal system somebody would have taken them to task a long time ago. The social media companies are basically doing the same thing digitally and have thus far gotten away with it.

It's a matter of record that they tweaked their algorithms, a number of years ago, to push whatever it was that would keep people "engaged" with their platforms for longer. That turned out to be content that elicited stronger emotions such as fear and outrage, regardless of its veracity. We also know that they are reluctant to tackle this issue if it means that engagement drops off. If an industrial company were reluctant to remove a toxic ingredient from their product due to it being far cheaper than an alternative then legislators and regulars would step in to force them. Social Media companies should be treated no differently. They won't change their algorithms and content moderation because they are not currently incentivized to do so. Legislators and regulators therefore need to shift the balance so that those incentives change. They're clearly not going to do it on their own.

No one is saying she should resign from her seat. They want her removed as a minister. That has nothing to do with her constituents.

And yeah you do need to give your opinion on the thing we're talking about. Otherwise what's the point in joining in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

So when you posted this, were you meaning people within the Dáil or people in Dublin as they two very different populations?

Nobody in Dublin has confidence in Helen McEntee. She's history.

As for me having to give my opinion - don't be absurd. I have every right to challenge you on what you posted without an obligation on having to provide my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I notice a lot of the right wing heads are now accusing SF of being too mainstream and too close to the government parties in policy. I get the impression at some point they had been expecting SF to be a radical anti-elite and anti-establishment party and to be tough on immigration etc (which would have been bizarre though, seeing as Sinn Fein have always been left wing). Perhaps it's the loss of this support which has caused the small percentage drops.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Another eye opening poll in the SBP yesterday

62% of people believe Ireland has taken too many refugees since the start of the Ukraine war. (14% neutral, 20% said Ireland must continue to take in refugees of the Ukraine war to help those impacted by the conflict).

However, the above broken down by party support:

Fianna Fail: 56 / 17 / 27

Fine Gael: 62 / 18 / 17

Sinn Fein: 72 / 10 / 16

Ind: 77 / 6 / 15

In this poll at least, SF voters are to the right of the existing 2 parties on immigration. Completely out of whack with party policy.

The far-right here absolutely despise Sinn Fein for several reasons:

• They're pro immigration and stand up for refugees
    • They came out in favour of repealing the 8th amendment on abortion
    • They currently absorb a lot of the malcontented vote that would be the natural voting base of the far-right

They want nothing more for Sinn Fein to enter government so that they can then hoover up some of that malcontented demographic who will shift away from SF when they are actually in power.

• Advertisement

As I mentioned just up, it would suggest that at least some of SF's support is coming from right wing voters who are under the (mistaken) impression that SF is an anti-establishment right wing party (perhaps because of the party's strong presence in working class areas).

There's not a hope in hell that SF will move in their direction to accommodate them. They have been a traditionally left wing party and have always embraced the ideas of the left. If those voters want an anti-immigration party to vote for at the next election, they'll have to find another one.

There was a rise of 2% in support for other unnamed parties in the most recent poll which could support your thesis. Many of these votes will either disappear after the first count or revert to SF. Unlikely to transfer to government parties.

The problem Sinn Fein have is that a large part of their support consists of a coalition of the disaffected and disturbed, many of whom could disappear in the election campaign as it becomes clear that Sinn Fein will not deliver for them. Those votes could move to fringe parties or just not vote out of disillusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It would be interesting to see what would happen if an actual right wing party emerged - it would probably hoover up a good few of those disaffected voters. At the moment though, this slip in support for SF could nearly see an FF-FG government returned again....immigration becoming an issue could well be bad news for SF, rather than good.

I agree, the party to watch is the recent one formed by two rural independents. Likely to be conservative on social issues and anti-immigration. If it could attract a few urban personalities, it could form the basis of a right-wing party.

Agree about immigration being bad news for Sinn Fein, a lot of the anger out there is unfocussed as people are angry but not sure what they are angry about. If that coalesces around an issue - immigration - where Sinn Fein differ from the mob, they could lose votes.

I think that Sinn Fein will hold the vote together until such time as they get into power (most likely after the next election). Yes, a lot of their voters disagree with them on immigration but crucially they'll still vote for them because they're not the establishment party in the way FF & FG so obviously are. Many of those voters care about others issues more than they do immigration. Even if they do vote for one of the micro far-right parties their votes will often transfer to SF in the end.

Now, after SF go into power then all bets are off. I predict that's when we really will see an opportunity for the far-right to emerge. On that note the National party did well to oust Justin Barrett. They were never going to go anywhere with that guy - he literally showed up in Dublin recently wearing a Nazi overcoat. The new guy is a rural farmer so that might play well for them although chances are some entirely new party could come along as well.

One thing to watch next year is the local elections. Let's see if the far-right can make any break throughs. They've historically never gotten close anywhere but the discourse seems to have shifted in their favour in recent years. I'd imagine they will be targeting the North inner city wards in Dublin as well as some of the towns around the country that saw large protests against Asylum centres earlier this year. One person I'll be keeping an eye on is Paddy Hoolahan the ex-UFC fighter. He got elected as a SF rep in 2019 but was then kicked out for repeated controversies - many of which would chime with the far-right. He's been an independent councilor since and I wonder if he goes for re-election will he lean into that stuff or possibly even join a far-right party and run for them. Regardless it'll be a good test to see if he can get re-elected without the SF brand.

It'll also be interesting to see if that new farmer's party has many candidates and to see if they engage in much dog whistling on immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

With FG forced into saying it is time to curb immigration it may be an issue for those who have let immigration become an issue, i.e. the sitting government.

It is they who will be held to account or should be for allowing it to be hijacked by the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭pureza

If the main opposition party is more immigrant friendly than the immigrants themselves, how exactly are they to react to the growing attitude in the country that we've taken too many in,without becoming the kettle calling the pot black ass ?

One thing that goes against the right wingers is that Ireland has never been what we could call a right wing country. Yes, FF dominated the political landscape for 50 years, but theirs was a very peculiar form of right wing rural Catholic conservatism, steeped in deference to the Church, rather than what we would normally associate with right wing or far right politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The far right have no political presence here though. There is no ukip equivalent in ireland to prompt fg to move rightwards. There is also no motivation to return to conservative social values which the more right-wing parties here seem to think there is.

Advertisement