Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Martial wraps it up. 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Everton are so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

There was a chat between people on this forum about Young at the start of the season. My point was that Everton were wasting their time and money on him. The concentious seemed to be that he was worth having around for his experience. Well, that isn’t even standing to him these days. He’s past it and has been for several years. They’d be better off blooding a player from their Academy.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is the oddest 3-0 I've seen in a while.

Utd have been fine, but they've just been utterly clinical, while Everton are utterly incapable of being so.

A Garnacho wonderbastard of a goal and two bits of quality no.10 play by Fernandes (his ball sets up Martial to be fouled, and sets him up perfectly for the third) have won it comprehensively.

But Everton were dangerous throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They've had one of those games today. They should have enough to stay up this season, they should have been 4-1 up at half time but football can be a bastard sometimes.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

56th min United get a penalty.

You said you missed the first half so how can you say with such confidence Young is having an awful game? 😂😂😁 Hilarious stuff.

How much earlier were you going to suggest that Young was going to get himself sent off? In the first half that you didn't watch?🙊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Poster can't reply here right now, they might let you know in two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some goal.

Does he always do the Ronaldo celebration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Agree completely. These VAR rulings are an absolute joke. That was never a penalty pre VAR as there was absolutely no intent by Young.They must change this law. Penalties shold only be for deliberate fouls and deliberately handling the ball.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Situations like that are why VAR exists.

The notion that the "good old days" of blatant offenses being missed were some sort of shangri-la is puzzling.

The penalty was a penalty end of story, Young was correctly allowed to remain on the pitch as well. For once VAR worked and people are still whinging about it.

Glazers Out!

It was not a penalty. There was minimal contact and no intent. Laws that make that a penalty (an almost certain goal) are a joke and bring the game into disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Intent has never been relevant. Most fouls are unintentional, someone trying to get the ball but mistiming it. Intention only really becomes relevant to talk about if you’re looking at bumping up punishment to a lengthy ban.

°°°°°

It was a penalty. There's no discussion to be had about it.

All I'm getting here is the whiff of sour grapes tbh.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ah lads, it was a penalty. FFS, clear as day. You can’t do that anymore.

That goal though from Garnacho, love seeing stuff like that.

Never been relevant? It was once. How often did I play in games when the shout "Accidental ref" went up to avoid a free (never mind a penalty). Anyway, let it be. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm certainly disgusted with the mess created by lawmakers, refs and VAR so any little touch (or ball glancing off an arm) is a penalty. Honest tackles get penalised more often than not. VAR has made things worse, not better, because slow motion replays or (worse) stills cannot capture the real event.

No sour grapes. i don't follow any Premier League team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Only just finally saw the goal - bloody bell that was some strike! Definitely better than Rooneys alright, Garnacho’s is right up there with Bale’s in the champions league final. Would still just about give Bale the slight edge purely for the stage he did it on, but Garnacho’s might have been even more difficult to pull off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Each of these is better than Garnacho's.https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-the-best-bicycle-kicks-of-all-time-ronaldo-rooney-zlatan

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well his is included in that list....

I actually think this one is better than Rooney's. Rooney's was just iconic.

Some of them are better, some are not..missing was it Gary Cahill for villa years ago? And I remember some Italian defender with one in euro 2000 that noone expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For how poor Utd have been all season, amazing to see them only 6pts off top.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes,your brenfer or whatever league experience is what happens in the professional game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

until newcastle pants us next weekend, and liverpool give us our annual humiliation a little while later.

United have been very luck with both the teams we have played recently and that we got through those games too - brentford a great example of scraping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

A good bicycle kick is always great to watch. Great skill. Garnacho’s was brilliant but for me Trevor Sinclair’s for QPR was the best as it was outside the box.

others that come to mind are Benteke’s v Man Utd, Crouch had a couple (hilarious still pics given his build) and Rooney’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Emre Can scored a cracker of an overhead too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Zlatan's one versus England was well outside the box too, a cracker. I think it was his 4th goal of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

Considering the massive injury crisis United have had for most of the season so far, "lucky" is just about the last word I'd use to describe United's season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Lads, if you are looking for competition for Garnacho - he'll have competition in this month's GOTM, not to mind GOTS.

I feel genuinely sorry for Pablo Sarabia, as I feel that his goal against Tottenham took a lot more skill, but in any public vote, there is no way he is getting more votes than Garnacho. Both are super strikes, but in Sarabia's case, he receives a pass across his body, controls it with his right and buries it with his left, without the ball touching the ground. For control and skill I'd rate his higher, but the % chance of Garnacho scoring with his effort would make some people think that's the better goal. Its down to personal opinion I'd say, but I'd hate to see the Sarabia one get lost in the hype.

I don't know how the GOTS gets organised but if its just a collection of GOTM winners, then I fear just me and him will be remembering that goal in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Benteke scored an overhead kick for Liverpool against United years ago, cracker goal but forgotten as we were soundly beaten that day. Sebastian Coates scored a brilliant one for Liverpool under Kenny in 2012 against QPR, again, forgotten about as we lost the game.

Sarabia controlled the ball and it sat up lovely for the strike. It was a reaction to what unfolded but imo it did not have the intent Garnacho's had or the difficulty.

Garnacho moved into a position to attempt and execute his strike which all involved extraordinary reading of the play, imagination, attleticism, technique. It was on another level to what we see most seasons never mind months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

Apart from Varane and Sancho, who are the other people that arent talking to each other? And is it players not talking to the manager or not talking to other players?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

My issue wouldn’t really be with a deliberate or non deliberate foul.

My issue is rewarding cheating or to put it euphemistically manufacturing or buying the free or penalty.

Martial deliberately drags his foot to ensure contact with Young’s leg. When they are looking at that in slow motion they can see that and should say no penalty but instead they reward him for cheating and manufacturing the penalty. The players then all do that because they know that that’s the way it’s refereed.

Harry Kane is a perfect example of that. I’m not criticising him he’s just playing by their rules.

Why they think it’s in the games interest to reward that kind of diving and cheating who knows?

VAR should be used to get that culture out of the game instead they use VAR to reinforce it. It’s pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm not disagreeing that Garnacho's was a superb strike, but suggesting he had greater intent is a nonsense. Of course it is every forwards intent to score, but Sarabia was bearing in on goal with only one thing on his mind. Garnacho was moving away from goal, taking on a very ambitious ball that could have gone anywhere. It is impossible to say he had the same level of intent seeing as he would have also been thinking about what happens if he missed his kick entirely or if there's a pass to a colleague in the box. He just executed it exceptionally and the other elements ended up being moot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bale's against Liverpool, in the 2018 CL final of all places, never seems to get mentioned.

I don't know if it's because Bale isn't exactly a Madrista favourite, or whether it's because Karius was in goal (therefore taking it down a notch in people's eyes), but the balls it took to try it on that stage, never mind nail it and win yet another CL for Madrid was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Isn't there an extreme level of luck with a bicycle kick? Not denying its great when it comes off, but its never my favorite type goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I havent seen Berbatovs against Liverpool which I think took an insane amount of skill and composure (tbf those are the two things that oozed outta Berbatov but still)

Zero luck in that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The luck is a lot to do with the circumstances where/when you can actually do one. How often do you see somebody attempt one and fail? Far less than you might think, because its not that common that getting a good connection is even possible.

For myself I think Bales was the greatest ever. Not only was it a harder kick to make, but the stage matters and he did it to take the lead in the CL final. That is a different level of performance than having a go in a meaningless league game between also rans in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It is a penalty by the way that is refereed. Martial was right to drag his foot into the challenge and go over because that will win a penalty for his team.

It shouldn’t be a penalty though and VAR should be used to get that out of the game so next time Martial or whoever it is doesn’t stick the leg out or drag his foot into contact with an opponent to “win” the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your back is to goal and your kicking a ball over your head behind you, definitely luck involved. Keepers are stood still for these goals too as they dont expect it as the strikers back is to the goal.

Not an overhead kick but Zidanes CL Final goal in 2002 is my favorite goal of all time. That is skill and perfection in a strike.

• Advertisement

It is impossible for VAR to determine that Martial deliberately dragged his foot there to win a penalty.

Martial has been dragging his feet for ten years, the video would show nothing new there.

They appear to be stood still because most of those kicks unexpectedly reverse the direction of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Seeing the Garnacho goal and what a beauty, fair play to him and surely a contender for goal of the season already. No need to bring out other better goals but just enoy it for what is a unique highly technical goal.

On my side I am not disagreeing on Sarabia scoring a quality goal in its own right. Just din't think it was as anywhere close to as difficult to execute but that is just my own view of course.

Would say Mitoma v Wolves was above Sarabia's also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Personally, I prefer the team build up goals that are just tapped in at the back post via great movement and passing, but in terms of individual moments of brilliance, that Garnacho goal was certainly one of the best this season and will sure to be a staple for PL highlights for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Cole goal vs Barcelona is my favourite United goal for similar reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Berkamp against Newcastle and Suarez v Norwich are two of my favourite PL goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I agree 100% - those team goals are total football. Arsenal seem to be the main purveyors for some reason. This is what they are training on day in day out. The other goals are rare things of beauty, but in the end, most of this is down to people's preferences, I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement