Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you vote for Conor McGregor if he entered politics?

• 27-11-2023 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭dublincc2

Serious question.

Personally I think he’s a bit of an arsehole but if he could put the foot down and solve the issues facing this country with strength and determination, then he would have my vote.

Can’t seem to add a poll anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Not in a million million years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No. Just NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Are you ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

he could put the foot down and solve the issues

Absolutely, if he was elected as TD he would immediately form and run the government on his own.

He gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Conor McGregor

King of the Thickos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

He'd be a great man to wrestle with the issues of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭dublincc2

Yes I am, that’s not the question that needs to be asked.

Whether your like him or not, I actually think if he was to run for TD or even president there is quite a chance he would be elected, even if only he scraped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'd rather vote for Dustin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

He'd last 2 weeks and then he'd either get bored and resign or punch the head off the Ceann Comhairle and have to resign (not that I'd even consider voting for him anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

No, he's a thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

he'd be hamstrung anyway in our proportional representation. one person elected can't do much. now if he got a party of 10 or 20 members and got them all elected, we could talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not even if I had two votes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Our own very Ramzan Kadyrov. If the ruskies ever take over he'd be a handy puppet for Putin.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Well if he did run for politics, it would be the only time his followers would vote!😉😉

And no, I wouldn't!

Look at Farage in the European Parliament, a one man show but he was the only MEP anyone bothered to listen to him speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

How could a fella off his tits who treats women like dirt and spews nonsense solve the countries issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

They did, they still do. Can you list some of Trump's achievements so we'd have a bar to judge McGregor to?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

On the face of it, from what I know of him, NO.

He is a foul mouthed, violent, braggard.

But I would do him the courtesy of reading the manifesto and see what the McGregor party priorities are.

We need serious change and fresh thinking in this country’s politicians.

I agree, I don’t think Trump was a good leader. He promised a hardline right wing administration and just continued the centrist crap. However he was a much better roll of the dice than Clinton.

Maybe Conor will be a failure too, but by God it’s a better shot than FFG. SF are not really nationalists in the sense that they want a united Ireland, which is a good thing, but on every other position they are pretty much the same as FFG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

No, he’s a scumbag. But eventually someone will come onto the scene and promise more law and order, a complete review of all NGO spending, stricter criteria for non-eu immigration, stricter criteria for EU immigration, who will ban vulture funds from owning residential properties, organise proper competition laws so that energy companies etc aren’t screwing the people.

And they’ll get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

So are you another one of these people that brands anyone that disagrees with the Government allowing murderers and that in to our country right wing?

Could they not be concerned citizens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...if you think a fool such as him was ever gonna help resolve our most serious issues, you might wanna have a good think about life.....

....hes as thick as sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

He can't even organise to tax and insure his own car.

How do you think he'll be able to organise fixing the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Interestingly enough I see on Facebook a local hard man in my locality is taking issue with a development earmarked for refugees. Guy can’t even spell properly and uses curse words in his Facebook rants. Gets loads of positive responses from the local lumpen proletariat. Definitely cut from the same cloth as mcgregor. These types are feeling emboldened now after the events of last week. It will be a cold day in hell though when a decently educated and sophisticated country like this starts suddenly bowing and scraping in front of thick numbskulls like mcgregor. These types are not the answer. Someone who can appeal to the more conservative demographic of the middle class certainly has scope for electoral success in this country with the intense vacuum created by the political class on the immigration issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 DirectorKrennic

I think what Ireland needs is an 'infrastructure first' party. We waste money on tax cuts and social welfare increases every year that don't solve the underlying issues of unaffordable housing and bad transport. Our parties have no vision for the future. Literally the 2nd time in our history the country was rich and still no metro. There is a growing cohert of very desperate people in this country and the election after the one where SF finally get in will be a complete free for all. Can see the vote splintering even further once SF get in and possibly fail to put a dent in housing. I wouldn't vote for Conor McGregor personally but I know a few people who would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

100% there is very much a “let them eat cake” attitude from politicians all across Europe at the moment, and we all know what happened there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Farage was the only MEP listened to? 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅🤣🤣😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No

Not when people are branded murderers just because of their nationality, religion or skin colour.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd vote for a dog before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Hell no.

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably not but it's never good to jump to conclusions. It would depend on what policies McGregor or his party would be espousing.

Saw a FB ad recently from SF concerning a fund raising draw - serious amount of negative comments below it regarding SF's policy or lack of on immigration matters. Surely their Achilles Heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hes narcissistic, he doesnt believe the same rules apply to him, hence is behavior.....

...mods can you remove the spam block on my account there please, thank you

Terry Pratchet

I think this is an immediate threat and must be taken very seriously.

He is an absolute scumbag scrote of a man. People would want to wise up. It is rampant across social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The economic model of outsourcing everything to cheaper economies has now led to an economic model of insourcing actual labour from those same economies. Yes we need these people to come here and make our economies function in the 2020’s but why has it come to this? Why was the path of de-industrialisation of the west so rigidly followed in the late 20th century? Why wasn’t any of this foreseen? Why? Probably because those implementing these policies did not care and knew they would be dead before the consequences played out. They just could not bring themselves to squeeze their profits at that time for the sake of social cohesion in some distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Do we really need 2 threads on this idiot?

And answer:no, obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Being a pub landlord is a good qualification to be a TD in this country, apparently. But no, I wouldn't vote for McGregor even if he paid me to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well judging by the sentiment and frustration by the people of this country, someone/ group is gonna step up and get the frustration vote.

it won’t be this fella, but it’s coming.

We need a real clued in centre right party. Not the pair of civil war muppets that have shared power since the foundation of the state.

I am surprised no one charasmatic and representative of the hardest working and biggest contributing in society have come out to challenge FF & FG. Both of them parties are so out of touch with the challenges on the ground and the impact of their policies it beggers belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No.

He'd be no more capable of solving the issues this country faces than the bunch of mindless cret$ns in govt at moment.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

I'd rather shite in my hand and clap than vote for that gobshite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

OP put up a poll there to see how many are in agreement with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, he ticks the property developer or landlord or publican or sports star profile of quite a few TDs over the years.

No, I wouldn't vote for him. But neither would I vote for FF/FG/SF/GP/Lab/SD/PBP/NP/IFP

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement