Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Drymaster9000

Yeah looks like you can actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I knew this would happen the minute I had it set up, so this one is on me - sorry folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Still working fine. No issues. Delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

I use the Amplifi HD mesh system but have removed the mesh nodes and bought 3 more Amplifi HD routers as stand alone. These were placed in each tv room and garage. I then hardwired these bach to a switch to connect to main Amplifi HD router. This allows for wifi and 4 ethernet ports in each location. Getting on AVG 200Meg down and 20/30 up....on wifi. And sometimes over 300. Has been rock solid. Thank you starlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Coming from Wicklow where I had siro, virgin, eir fibre options, starlink is a bit of a jolt. Speeds aren't bad but the equipment is fcking awful and they should be embarrassed. Looks sleek coming out of the box but otherwise everything is wrong.

The "check for obstructions" setup is meaningless because you are using your phone camera and pointing at the sky. Unless you have your starlink on a 6ft pole or you lie flat on the ground, you're not getting a comparable check. The short answer is to just find the most open space you can, ideally a roof, and experiment.

The cable. Slots very nicely into the dish and the router doesn't it? What's that? The starlink had to be outside and the router has to be inside? What is this "wall" you speak of? Oh you need to make a hole in your wall for the cable I see. Well you just drill a hole. What's that? Drill bits are round and the cable on both ends is some sort of frankenstein rectangular thing which sits at a weird angle and can't be temporarily detached so that you can pass the cable through neatly? Oooh that's a real puzzler, clearly a brand new problem that starlink will have to spend years thinking about a fancy expensive solution for. Maybe you'll just have to hack a hole 6 times the size it should be and deal with the heat loss. Sure if you were sensible and built your house with a quarter inch of aluminium siding on a wood frame and no insulation you wouldn't be so concerned, eh? Just live in the desert in arizona.

The router. I have dealt with some sh!t routers in my time. I've dealt with virgin media in the early days. I've dealt with 14k dial up. 14k dial up puts this router to shame. Standing beside the router and using the "map your house" results in "very poor" connection. Wifi 6 capable mimo devices sitting next to it are throttled to 50mbps. It doesn't have a wps button. You can change basically nothing so if anything in your house isn't doing exactly what the router expects, you're fucked. Bog standard functionality requires an up sell of some sort, even if it's just an ethernet port.

Overall, connection is workable but everything else is garbage. Fortunately nbi should be here in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

Re getting the cable through the wall. Plug out at the dish end and its a straight connector

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just on the dish and cable, we installed Starlink for my brother back in July and found it a very neat and tidy solution for satellite reception, this based on my own experience installing satellite TV dishes for myself and family for more than 20 years.

I posted a picture of the install a few pages back.

Running the cable is fairly hassle free once you know. Drill 20mm hole, disconnect cable from dish and tape up connector with tape to avoid any damage, push or pull cable from inside to out (wire hanger/drill bit helps), reconnect cable to dish, cable ties to secure cable to pole and silicone to seal the hole. Job done.

I agree with regarding the router, it's rubbish.

It definitely isn't because it's rectangular. You're still having to deal with making a much bigger hole than you should have to.

Might be bigger than it needs to be but the one that goes into the router with the right angle is way bigger. I don't use the starlink for routing so can't comment on its ability. I find the speeds pretty good though. We use ethernet to orbi mesh router and satellites and no speed losses

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dont Be at It

I'm looking to buy this for my parents - is everything I need to get up and running with a WiFi connection included in the package you buy off them? Or is there any additional equipment I need?

Looks decent value now with the refurb option

• Advertisement

If you want to use your own router or WiFi mesh then you need to buy the separate ethernet adapter. You might also want the arm mount if you want to wall mount

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Is the default router they provide not great?

probably no better or worse than any standard isp supplied router - i never tried it - have a mesh router setup so immediately put the starlink in bypass mode.. ive seen few people say it won't do whole house coverage but that obviously depends on the size of your house and construction etc. .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The main limitation is the lack of physical ethernet ports but otherwise its a perfectly serviceable router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We've had some trouble with the cabling on after about 2 weeks once we got it. Got a notification 1st as soon as I was out of the country for work (of course) and the app showed there was an issue with the cable and Starlink kept switching between on and offline. Replacement cable sent for free - fitted and it resolved it for 2 weeks and started again last night. Checked all cabling again on both ends today and all fine so logged a ticket with Starlink with photos of the setup - got a response after about 30 mins and a notification to say they were shipping out a replacement and a return label. Bit of a pain in the arse, but can't complain about the customer service at least.

It's significantly worse than anyone else's. I recommend getting the adaptor and buying your own.

Started getting the infamous "online/offline" cycling behaviour the last 2 days. Logging a support ticket requires me to climb out onto the roof to take pictures.

My absolute favourite, something I genuinely have to applaud because whoever thought it up must be considered a genius in the company: in order to change some of the hardware settings on the equipment when it can't get an Internet connection, you have to... sign into the app over the Internet using the starlink network. Truly a masterpiece of forward thinking. Of course, the screen getting you to do this looks very slick which is the important part. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

You don't have to sign into the internet. You just have to connect to the wifi of the router to be able to change settings. It being connected or not to internet makes no difference

I must have been hallucinating when the settings for changing the heat function were greyed out and covered with a "log in" box which required me to log into a starlink account then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AntiScammer

Looks to be a local SL community, pity I didn't do my due diligence before got mine. 🤣

Does anyone have slow connection today specifically?

Had up to 100 mb for the last two weeks in Tipperary, but today it's down to 10 mb. 🤔

• Advertisement

Just did a test there north Dublin. 186 down 12 up. Have you checked the app for dish obstructions? Maybe reboot the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

Check if an update is needed for dish. Same happened me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm Co. Tipperary based and hadn't noticed anything in the last few days. I've done a speed test on WiFi and was getting 150Mbps. I typically get over 200Mbps on wired.

As has been suggested ... check for obstructions and updates.

I just ran a few wired speedtests there now and it's a bit more variable than I used to see, but still all above 150Mbps down.

Thanks folks, good ol reboot fixes most of the things!

you have 50mb upload speeds? that seems incredible.... doh.. nevermind.. i see its 15 on router

Got a couple of devices I don't recognize.

How do ye identify something like this on SL router?

Am planning to use bypass mode, but not there yet, need to drill holes etc 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

Looking to order starlink for a neighbour but just planning on getting it shipped to my house and then setup at his when it arrives.

Will it be fine to order to mine? Or does your address have to be were starlink will be setup?

It's been two years since I ordered, so I can't remember if there was an option to provide a "delivery address". Might be worth checking.

If not, I think it would need to be set up close enough to the address. How far is your neighbour's house from yours? If you were semi-d neighbours, it would probably be fine.

If at a greater distance, you could order it to yours and then do an address change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Ya if it's close by it shouldn't be an issue.

Advertisement