Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 April2023

Nobody knows the true facts. In no shape or form am I saying that the Gardai killed that baby. That never crossed my mind. Was Baby John murdered in the first instance? Seagulls, who knows? Again, it is a presumption that I am making. It is very sad the entire story and I pray for baby John. May he Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well, someone does know the facts.

Seagulls🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Someone's pulled their horns in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I did not realise "The Sheriff" also fcuked up the Ian Long case, some lad our Gerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Widows Son

Who is Ian Long?

• Advertisement

Murdered: The Baby on the Beach.

Three one-hour programmes, Tomorrow, Tue and Wed. 10:15 on Virgin Media One.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably with interviews from former members of the Garda "Murder Squad" discussing how they were right despite being completely wrong. Maybe even have one POS who might even start discussing superfecundation.

Be good to see " The Sheriff" put on the spot, but that won't happen.

It's a Ch.4 production, let's hope they do the story justice. I won't hold my breath!

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Has this programme been made since the information this year came to light?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

I believe it is a new production and about to get its first viewing. The above link confirms that it includes the fact of the DNA matching that parents.

Strange that Channel 4 are producing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm actually glad it's channel 4 that made it.

Produced outside of the country they aren't going to be worrying about who's feelings are hurt or that their great great grandfather was besties with someone in the village great great grandfather 🙄🙄🙄

Hopefully it will be clear and concise. Not dragged out repetition that could be done in 15 mins.

Hopefully it will be clear and concise. Not dragged out repetition that could be done in 15 mins.

It's three hours long so presumably will be dragged out somewhat.

There's different levels of dragged out.

Did you watch the documentary on rte a couple of weeks ago, based on a podcast...An interview eithIreland's serial killer (I think was the full name) my god that was absolutely painful!

However , it depends on how much detail they go into. Especially if they go in-depth on the poor family that was framed etc.

Then how the DNA sample came about, the desecration of the grave. There probably is enough content to fill 3 hours comfortably enough if they go in depth.

If they go the gloss over everything route , then yeah repetition is all we'll get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Caquas

40 years next April. 40 years of controversy with no resolution in sight. Less than 5 minutes per year.

The real problem is that there is a file with the DPP about Baby John's parents who have finally been identified through DNA but who didn't lift a finger over all those years while another family was put through the wringer by the Gardai for the murder of their baby.

Is this documentary meant to put pressure on the DPP, one way or another?

Not made by Channel 4 but by Peninsula TV - a "content production company based in Dublin and New York". 

They produced the Heiress and the Heist, a 3 parter about Rose Dugdale which is on Prime. An amazing story but produced for a foreign audience and without Rose Dugdale's involvement, as far as I can tell. Do Irish people need talking heads repeatedly telling us "her upper-class British accent would not have endeared her to most IRA members"? Far more relevant would be what the Provos made of her Marxist views and revolutionary aims. The Provos had just split from the Officials over that issue.

Here's a simple rule to judge any documentary - do we hear all the main protagonists directly or do we get one side of the story or, worst of all, do we get a lot of voice-overs and opinionated journalists in carefully lit settings telling us what to think.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Were the parents charged?

Their names were never in the media unlike the innocent lady whose life was ruined

"The real problem is that there is a file with the DPP about Baby John's parents who have finally been identified through DNA "

Is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's impossible to prove the case against them. They have pointed the finger at a deceased family member.

They still conceived and gave birth to a child.

Whatever about being a terrified teenager, in the decades that followed did the moral compass never shift?

Ok you could say the family member told them the baby was adopted or whatever (no idea if that's the story) however if a baby washed up murdered matching the same timeframe as your birth would you never wonder?* When they were looking for voluntary DNA samples would you not think , well actually this would settle my internal suspicions.

* A baby was found alive/abandoned just after I'd given birth to my eldest....I still think what became of the baby and thd mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Withholding evidence, lying, murder assists, surely there is something to charge them with, they can't just say they never wondered or thought the dead baby could be ours etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I’m sure the authorities have looked at these possibilities. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they haven’t been pursued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Did anyone watch the first part last night? I have it recorded but haven't had the chance to watch it. Any good?

Correction - it seems we’re still at the “a file is being prepared for the DPP” stage.

That doesn’t mean the DPP has no file on the case, just that the Gardai have not yet completed their file to the point where they will submit it to the DPP.

My point remains- this documentary is dealing with an open investigation and would need to tread very carefully to avoid contaminating the process and the potential jury pool. It seems very odd to release a documentary just when we might get to discover the truth about the appalling murder.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/gardai-say-baby-john-investigation-will-result-in-file-being-prepared-for-dpp-351982

You must have seen a preview!

So far only one of the "Heavy Gang" has had the neck to be interviewed- no prize fo guessing which one. He's actually doubling down on the atrocities committed by himself and the heavy gang for the last 40 years. He's throwing Supt. Courtney (RIP) under the bus. Courtney was in charge and was as bad if not worse. We were just starting on the superfecundation at the end of part one and the POS will probably double down on that as well, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

watching now. The Hayes family went through hell while others stayed silently.

And when eventually questioned in 2023, instead of some unburdening response, it appears they offered no comment when questioned in 2023.

Hard to know if we will ever see an outcome to this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anonymo203

I watched the documentary and thought it was quite good, although I was surprised it was broadcast and the arrests of the parents spoken about given there is a live ongoing investigation and no charges have been brought yet, if there even will be.

I do hope there will be some sort of conclusion to this case, probably won’t be justice but maybe an identity and real name for little Baby John. I think it’s just a heartbreaking case, poor little child 😢

Post edited by anonymo203 on

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Gerry O'Connell (was it?) must be one of the most tone-deaf individuals I've come across - he just didn't seem to understand the consequences of his actions. Actually I'm not sure what his actions or position were: at one point he claimed to have acted "like a father" to Joanne; at another he claimed to have found it necessary to force a confession out of Joanne Hayes because he had psychological knowledge that allowed him to be able to look into peoples mind's and see them for what they were (err . . .didn't do such a good job on this case then!); towards the end of the programmes he was pictured in archive film ranting at an AGSI meeting about how the "Murder Squad" had been thrown under the bus; and then he claimed he'd known Joanne was innocent all along but was prevented from following that line because of Supt Courtney.

I watched the UK transmission on Channel 4: when they Hayes family were speaking - which although accented was perfectly intelligible - they were subtitled! is that what we've come to? Was that the case on the Virgin transmission??

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

No subtitles on Virgin tf, I watched all the episodes last night, my God it really pushed my blood pressure up.How Joanne or her family coped with the absolute s**t show is beyond me, they were so united and so classier than the so called experts....when Gerry said he held no grudges towards Joanne I was beyond speechless, what an absolute ignorant, self entitled, jumped up,pompous man. I thought it was a brilliant documentary , so glad that the majority of the community supported Joanne and her solicitor was brilliant imo. I really hope that she is getting on with her life since and enjoying it, what a strong person to be able to go through that absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement

• O would be inclined to think the parents of Baby John might have had no hand or part in the tragic events. She had given birth, father of baby likely in a different location, and events taken right out of the hands of the mother who had given birth. That’s my thoughts on it.

Advertisement