Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

People make big deals over these. They are player led usually. Older players usually the driver, younger lads hate it. Middle ground is where it lands. Club in question have had this before. Most clubs have some variation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That would be a good question at the next team meeting!

Should be taken with a pinch of salt. Every team tries to set the highest of standards which are basically "goals" what they set out to achieve and what they actually achieve both on and off the pitch are two different things.

Even the "rules" when broken down aren't exactly life changing.

J1 is contentious in most clubs. Young lads will still rock up in May saying they're off. Little can be done but the more advanced the warning that would be helpful.

Holidays is again just letting management know. I'm sure it's discouraged but I couldn't see any club GAA player planning anything close to August (players choice) Mostly go in June with clubs blessing.

Drinking one is irrelevant. Mostly. These lads will drink after most games as they did last season. So on the beer after championship match then two week break to the next game (Galway run every two weeks alternating Hurling/Football). They won't become monks anytime soon and most clubs I'm aware of in Galway apply the same logic.

Training ones speak for themselves and I'm guessing are pretty much the norm.

Other sports one they wouldn't get away with in other clubs as plenty are dual. This club is hurling only and has a serious disdain for football. Again it's not stopping a lad cracking 18 holes on an off week with a few lads. It's anyone playing other competitve sports. Most clubs wouldn't ask of this but they must know their audience.

I'm sure when it was brought out plenty of jokes were had and eyes rolled to the sky so I wouldn't see it as a leak just lads having a laugh with unrealistic expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

yes every club sets high standards but you don't write it down and hand it out like your back in school. these are adults not a bunch of 14 year old kids. Rumour has it that his not manager anymore. It has to be remembered that it's an amateur sport

Every Premier league club has them too.... they must of forgotten school was out as well....

They are paid professionals with contracts earning extraordinary amounts of money of course they are going to have a written code of conduct

A code that's broken most weeks by a lot of players, if listening to podcasts by ex-prem and championship players is anything to go by.

There's an article in the Irish independent shedding a lot of light on it. Here's a small bit:

A club source has accepted that the wording on the statement could have been less strident, but that the sentiments were coming from the players themselves.

“It was [as a result of] a discussion between the players and management,” the source told the Sunday Independent. “The players came back to the management and said this is the feedback from the year. We feel we didn’t put enough effort in, we feel we didn’t put enough work in during the summer.

​“We had nine or ten lads who went to America playing hurling for the summer. They came back but they didn’t have the work done from a conditioning perspective.”

The source, who asked not to be named, also said there had been “a bit of a drink culture in the squad” and the players wanted to move away from that.

Clarinbridge reached the county final in 2021, losing to St Thomas’s, when managed by Jarlath Niland, father of county player Evan. The following year they lost in the semi-finals to Loughrea.

This year, under new manager David Forde and with coaching assistance from former Limerick hurler Niall Moran, they were eliminated again by Loughrea at the quarter-final stage. Forde was centre-back for the club when they won the All-Ireland title in 2011 and the team has reasonable prospects of winning a senior championship in the next few years.

With several first-team players away on J1s, Clarinbridge weren’t in a position to prepare for the championship with a full hand. The club source said that all of this had been agreed with the leadership group which included seven senior players and had the backing of the wider group with no dissenting voices.

“The feeing among lads was that if they really want to have a crack at winning a county championship, they needed to make more sacrifices. If you want to go for a J1, if you want to go to Australia for a year, that’s fine. Best of luck to you, you are always Clarinbridge. You can train with us but we can’t have you back a week before the championship and expect to go straight into the senior team. That was the context, that if we want to have a proper crack at the championship we have to do the work.”

The source said the conditions weren’t as inflexible as they read and were written with a degree of “tongue-in-cheek” and they “made sense to the players”. He said the ban on golf wasn’t as intractable as it came across.

“We weren’t banning golf, it was more about lads not missing training because they’ve played 18 holes of golf. You don’t play golf the same day as an important training session. You can’t train with the proper intensity.

“And just doing things at the right time. We had a couple of lads who said ‘oh we’ve booked two weeks in Ayia Napa’ the week before a championship game. They’d been told to book holidays in June, don’t book them in August when we’re playing championship.

“So it’s just those common sense approaches. The club completely believes in a player-led system. This is what the players wanted. The players met themselves, read down through the [charter] items, said that was grand, every single one of them signed off on it.”

​He said the leak of the charter by a player was unintentional. “It wasn’t out of disrespect. He was the first player who signed it actually, saying yes, I need to do it. In the cold light of day it reads a bit crazy but it’s not like that at all, the players are 100 per cent behind it, and behind management, and so is the club.”

He said it had made the club and its management team look like a “deranged dictatorship. Nothing could be further from the truth,” he added.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

But if none of it really matters - the training thing is a given, players are not expected to not drink, and playing golf is perfectly fine etc. then why have this 'charter' in the first place. It's looks even sillier when it's argued that it doesn't really count or mean what it says.

It looks to me like there's a Primary school Principal in there somewhere who's used to endlessly drafting various policies and decided that this could be tried in the GAA club as well. Looks to me like a few adult conversations about 'goals' would've done the job. When you're the subject of cringey discussion in a national newspaper it doesn't really matter how benign your initial intentions might have been.

Don't think I said it doesn't matter..... every club/association/business/school etc have some sort of "code of honour" for use of a better term. Most sporting teams have some variation of this. The players had a meeting in early November as an end of year review and these were the issues they felt held them back last year. Some more important than others. At the first meeting of the year the issues the players raised were included with this slide as part of a wider PowerPoint presentation of the teams plans for the year ahead. It was player led, player driven. Some make plenty of sense, some common sense some less so imo. But any player dropped or banished can't say they were forewarned.

Go down to Junior C at the start of the year and you'll hear manager's say "lads that train will play, if ye don't come down to train stay at home for matches, no beer 3 hours before a game, if ye can't fit into the geansaí bring your own" this kinda stuff is almost a parody in the GAA at this stage.

Really don't see the big deal. But each time their I guess.

and fined accordingly as they are in breach of their contract. Matic did an interview recently that when at united they collected 75k for players being late to training. Maybe David and the boys from bridge could use this method in collecting the 15k.

Fixtures confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

Surprised that a game is being fixed for Tuam with the stand roof torn down and the new one under construction by then I presume.

Tuam development group said the stadium will be finished. Seems a bit far fetched but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

These look class. I think we should petition the county board to make this our away colours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"maroon and white for ever, I'll stick with what I know 🇱🇻🎶🎶🎶"

Team that played in Cork over the weekend

• Advertisement

No thanks. I think there horrific. Maroon and white for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think compared to the "streak" kits we've been getting lately, these look much more classy. We play in the maroon home jerseys much of the time anyway. Something like this in the "proper" colours if you insist would be a big step up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can't have a maroon and white away Jersey......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

True. I think the current one is white after the notorious camouflage one. Not sure is this blue edition replacing the white version or in conjunction with in. Not that any of them are used very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Looks like a shite tipp jersey and no effing way am I wearing that. Maroon and white forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Or a Roscommon away jersey even worse. Same here. No way!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Funnily enough, the one high profile game it's going to be worn is against Wexford in championship, who's current changed strip (unless updated in future) is this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Advertisement