Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

For now it is that routing yes.

It will need new lights / light sequences and road access changes if they’re going to use Seán Heuston Bridge for anti-clockwise O buses and for buses to get onto/off Steeven’s Lane at both St John’s Road and James St.

It remains to be seen if they plan on doing that.

It’s showing the full duties for each bus - they’ve not separated them into each departure. Rather than looking at the bottom, scroll down to the first time that Dundrum or Red Cow LUAS appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

keeping up the age old DB tradition of meaningless obscure destinations, "Omni Park", "Oldcourt" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd expect some consistency, especially when it's a new route and the stop at Sandyford Luas involves the S8 going in both directions so you can't just jump on any S8 bus. Imagine you're at that stop, waiting for an S8 to Dun Laoghaire. The RTPI display says Citywest and along comes a bus that says it's going to Kingswood Ave. Do you risk it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If the O does this, I give up, they're just not serious about public transport at all. 5 years since launch and a simple change to traffic lights and sequencing can't be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Maybe it's not just about the S2 route. When the O route is launched there could be buses every 3-5minutes in each direction along that stretch, which could impact operation of the Luas.

It would be fine only for how busy that artery is for car traffic. Maybe they're reluctant to set a precedent now with the S2. Could they not have sent it down around Islandbridge-Kilmainham junction?...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd rather the island bridge route than the silly diversion on the quays anyway. Assuming the frequencies promised under bus connects can be delivered, which we can be certain they wont, it's been modelled and has shown no adverse impacts on luas services. As for disruption to car traffic...sod them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Sure the W62 is going since, what, July? And it still says St Finians NS and then scrolls to Newcastle. Just say Newcastle like, it’s a village of one street.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK you all probably think I am too lazy to do it myself, but honestly is there a list, just a list with a link to the route (and start and end points) anywhere on TFI?

I am probably not looking in the right place as I don't use buses very often but I am interested in all these changes and would love to know what buses are out there and where they go to and from.

Dublin Bus used to have a list of routes, and a click on any route number would show the stops and the timetable.

Is there anything like that on TFI? I read this thread often and am bamboozled by all the new routes. Some of which I'd like to try on a day off for the craic, but I don't know what bus goes where. There could be many hidden gems that I know nothing about!

TFI (to me) seems to assume that we know where we are going hence the journey planner. This is probably true for the majority of people, but not everyone knows the start and end points that the bus serves. I remember once looking at the Dublin Bus website in the old days and found a route that takes you up the mountains to the Blue Light pub. I never knew, so up we went one day, was great craic. Things like that.

Sorry for going on, and forgive my ignorance if there is something obvious out there that I have missed due to my stupidity.

Moovit Bus Átha Cliath – Dublin Bus, Ireland – bus Schedules, Routes & Updates (moovitapp.com) have a good site for this, but I can't see anything similar on TFI. Am I missing something?

No you're not missing it, and you raise a very good point. The NTA don't provide any current network maps.

But if you use https://bustimes.org/ and click on a bus route, you can click on a route map to see the route with stops marked on it.

Dublin Bus: https://bustimes.org/operators/dublin-bus

GoAhead Ireland: https://bustimes.org/operators/go-ahead-ireland (This does include longer distance commuter routes too)

• Advertisement

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm after. Very disappointed that TFI hasn't got something similar. It's actually crazy that they haven't IMO, and I wonder how bustimes could get this info up and running, so easy and accessible for everyone, yet TFI cannot. Surely that's basic stuff.

Anyhow, not your problem to solve, but you certainly have pointed me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How were the loadings for the new 44d route this morning? Did it go well when it went to O'Connell St?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Never mind - deleted, wrong end of stick.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can do the same on the TFI website and the TFI Live map.

In the TFI Live app, it is under the "Timetables" tab, search for the route you are interested in and then click on the "Maps" tab.

I agree that they should have network maps, both detailed ones with all routes (like the BusConencts one) and a simpler core routes one. Hopefully once BusConnects is done they will do those.

I don't think the TFI app is intuitive. It took me a while to figure out that I had to click timetable in order to get RTI and stops for different buses, and add to favourites etc.

Anyway as bk above said, hopefully the app will be tweaked eventually, because it is not (to me) very easy to navigate at all yet.

Fair points, but you need to know the routes to do that - if you just want a list of all the routes, together with maps, the bustimes website is better.

Google Maps is saying this morning that there are delays on the N31 stretching down from Temple Hill to Mount Merrion/Booterstown Avenue.

The maximum delays there on that stretch of road at the moment is at around 13 minutes.

That would add delays to the S6 & S8 if that news was true.

I was looking up the real time info for S8 on the TFI app beforehand.

The info from the stop opposite Newpark School in Blackrock said one S8 was at 37 minutes and the next one is at 43 minutes. That data suggests to me with a gap of only 6 minutes applied to each bus; they could eventually bunch up together when they're going to Dún Laoghaire Dart Station this morning.

One S8 bus running either to/from Dún Laoghaire have already been cancelled via data from the TFI app.

There are no cancellations in place on the S6 this morning. They are all running to schedule so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Agreed, the layout is poor. Day to day I use the Transit App instead, much nicer interface. And yes the Transit app also shows route maps, though I’d tend to use the TFI app checking out newly launched routes, given it is the official app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Was getting an S6 this morning and it did get about 5 minutes delayed between Blackrock and the top of Mount Merrion Avenue.

I then got said S6 to connect with the S4 in UCD for my commute to work, was pretty seamless overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

75/a timetables still up at bus stops should really be taken down asap confusing to passengers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 TonyK45

Yes, and the L54 displays River Forest - instead of the more helpfull Leixlip. There is also the 142 'Coast Road' totally meaningless - instead of just Malahide. The new S4 shows via 'Dundrum Centre' - it goes nowhere near it! I'm sure there are lots more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

There were Go Ahead inspectors and TFI staff at the Liffey Valley hub this morning helping people figure out the buses. Poor form they didn't have this in place for the Monday morning commute, but things did run smoother today at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I've noticed a couple of EVs on the 27 today, not great form considering it's, what, the third busiest route? I haven't seen them on the 27 in a long, long time.

I'm currently looking at the Routes & Timetables page on GAI's website.

None of the timetables for their S routes, the W2 or the L55 are up there yet.

They should have had these timetables up on that webpage since the routes were launched on Sunday.

Very poor form there from GAI's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

They're on the BusConnects Phase 5B section of their website. More importantly, they're also on the TFI website, which is a far better option as it includes all routes, regardless of operator. With transfers required on more journeys, and operators only distinguishable by a single logo on the side of the bus, this makes more sense than putting selected timetables on individual websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

So far these changes seem to have gone smoothly and passengers are adapting well.

Despite the long routing down the quays, the S2 seems to be doing ok and is even picking up passengers on Thomas Street. When you combine the frequency of this and the 123 there is now a really good service through St. James’ Hospital offering decent connections. The S2 destination needs a “Via Rathmines & James’s Hospital”

The S4 was missing from the stops in Liffey Valley on Sunday, it may have been sorted since. It’s doing quite well in UCD with passengers already queuing at the new stops in the campus. The connection to Milltown Luas seems to be popular. The destination needs a “Via Crumlin Hospital & Rathmines”

The S6 appears to have some running issues. Buses seem to be bunching causing large gaps at all times of the day. Loadings on the S6 are really good for UCD and Dundrum. The destination needs a “Via UCD”

The S8 scroll needs to change to say Citywest. Kingswood Avenue is not enough. Adding in “Via Sandyford Business District” would be a good move. The diversion through Blackrock is annoying but hopefully it’ll be resolved soon. 

The W55 is sensibly operated by the Streetlites but timetables are missing from stops.

Dundrum was the place where the most confusion was happening. The 74 is shown as departing from stop 6041 but drivers are leaving from stop 2825. Space is really tight here now and a lot of buses are being packed into a small space. The 44 has been the most disrupted. The TFI app shows it as stopping at 8152 on Dundrum Bypass but this stop doesn’t exist, a sign in the bus shelter ominously tells 44 passengers to go to the funeral home before the junction. Despite this, the 44 drivers are still serving the interchange. I’m sure it’ll all settle down in time. The L25 looks to be a decent replacement for passengers heading east from Dundrum. 

The 44D inbound is missing lots of stops on the RTPI, it means the bus is not timing correctly and not showing for some passengers waiting along the route. The service has 25 stops between Dundrum and O’Connell Street but only tracks for 11. Not great for those waiting for the AM departures. The destination on the TFI app shows buses to and from “OCS” - it looks a bit lazy.

In Tallaght, the W4 and W61 have now moved terminus to the centre island in the car park and are joined by the W2. They do seem to be planning ahead at The Square to facilitate the high level of routes incoming and to keep the right routes bunched together. It will be the terminus to a lot of BusConnects routes. The only criticism is that the W4 still has no timetables at any stop along its route. For a new service this isn’t great. 

Overall TFI and the operators have done a decent job in rolling this phase out. It was one of the biggest phases for BusConnects and you can already see the benefits of the new routing. Hopefully things like destinations and timetables can be sorted in the coming days. A simple large stop map guide in Dundrum would be a big help.

Great update - just to add a few observations from yesterday:

• The 74 is now using stop 6041 at Dundrum LUAS.
    • The running times on the 74 between Dundrum and Whitechurch are far too generous and buses are running up to 10 minutes early because they cannot drive any slower.
    • The S4 is entering/leaving UCD via the Richview entrance rather than the Clonskeagh entrance.
    • The S4 would appear to be a far better option for ex-175 users going to/from UCD to switch to rather than the S6 if they need to connect from the 15 or 15b - it is quite quick getting to Rathgar
    • There were also quite a few cancelled departures on the S8 yesterday which isn’t good - there were far too many across the network yesterday as well.
    • The running times on the S8 at peak are far too tight and buses are running late.
    • Stop 877 in UCD was full with three 142 buses yesterday at around 16:10-16:30 preventing the S4 from serving it
    • Stop 2975 on Brehon Field Road probably needs a separate stop for the S8 and 74 separate from the 16 layover point - it's impossible for them to pull in at peak times into the bay.
    • The L25 is a much faster connection to Dún Laoghaire than the 75 from Dundrum and Stillorgan.

It would also help if the NTA gave options to people in simple English rather than directing everyone to the journey planner, particularly older people.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

The Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communiications is meeting today at 13:30, for a discussion on bus services in Dublin, Wicklow, Meath and Kildare with all the bus companies and the NTA.

• Representatives from National Transport Authority (NTA) , Ms Anne Graham, CEO.
    • Representatives from Bus Éireann, Mr Stephen Kent, CEO.
    • Representatives from Dublin Bus , Mr Billy Hann, CEO.
    • Representatives from Go-Ahead Ireland , Ms Dervla McKay, Managing Director

It's in Committee Room 2 - and should be available to watch here: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr2-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

I travelled on SG579 on the first ever 05:56 14 from Beaumont Avenue and then the 06:35 44D to O'Connell Street. Both journies carried about 5-10 ppl.

• Advertisement

That 14 and the one that follows it replaces the early 75 trips through Ballinteer, before the regular 14 service reaches the area, and allows connections into the S6, L25 and LUAS at Dundrum so it’s good to hear that it is being used!

Advertisement