Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's regular fare along Griffith Avenue so you can be sure it'll happen here as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I think a lot of the frustration people have is that after what felt like reasonable progress for a long while the pace of construction does seem to have dropped considerably in the last six months or so. I know most of the main works have now moved now to the outbound side of the road but it really feels like there has been very little progress on the inbound side over the last while.

Given that inbound is practically 90% complete one wonders what is holding up the small amount of work that woud be needed to finish it out. I remember foolishly wondering back at the start of August as to whether the inbound section might be finished by the start of September. Perhaps there are good reasons why they can't do it but that doesn't seem to have been communicated to anybody.

Actually the whole communication plan on this project has also been a bit of a shambles as far as I can see. I don't know what updates locals are getting but for somebody like me who commutes on public transport three days a week through Fairview as far as Amiens Street I'm not aware of any place I can go to get information on the project that is up to date. Dublin City Council (or whoever is the lead in this project) needs to learn a lot of lessons from this if they are to implement similar long-term schemes on other roadways. Ultimately this scheme is an improvement but if you don't bring people along with you then you're undermining your whole strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I passed inbound today, and they are surfacing the path from the fire station to Newcomen bridge. And they were also doing a lot of work on the outbound section, past Annesley bridge. They seem to have the parking outbound reopened on approach to Five Lamps.

Seems like they are trying to lash as much out as they can before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes, it really is for DCC to step up regarding communication. It's all well and good expecting the contractor to do it but they are hired for their expertise in construction, if they are expected to handle the local communications, projects will get a lot more expensive. DCC have the resources and people on their side are getting feed project information, they need to sit down with the comms people to produce sm posts, newsletters, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Good to hear - those seem to be biggest pieces left to do - maybe the aim would be to restore full two way access inbound in time for the Christmas period when there will be an increase in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Trailfinder100

Lots of up-to-date info on what works are happening on the DCC website

Cant post the link unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The info today is avoid Fairview if possible. Traffic seems to be horrific in every direction. 🙄

Half marathon added a lot of traffic early yesterday. Planned reduction to one lane while resurfacing works carried out during the middle of the day. Easily avoidable for the majority of motorists, thankfully.

Updates for traffic are the only up to date ones. Everything else looks pretty stale.

Fairview has been a disaster the last few weekends with road resurfacing reducing it to a single lane for both directions. It's to be like that for another weekend or two yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I went into town yesterday and cycled past all the heavy traffic, it was made worse by the marathon alright but there are some silly things going on at the moment. Why is that bus lane on the Howth Road running into Fairview only a bus lane for a few hours a day? Buses get stuck in lines of traffic there all the time, they really should be prioritised and not held up so people can park in the bus lane sometimes.

Often people haven't moved their cars in the morning, when the bus lane comes into operation. It's a joke.

so like do people living there move there cars for a few hours and then move them back? it's so ridiculous. there should be a no nonsense approach here and parking should be banned at all times from that section, it's a major artery into the city and more important than a few people's parking spots.

I'm not sure. A lot of those houses are in multiple units. I'm sure some of them go to work early and return after the bus lane isn't operational.

One of the houses put in planning for a drive and was refused. They did it anyway, and it looks good. After leaving the opening for a couple of years, I noticed they are finally putting gates on it. So maybe after a number of retention applications, it might have been granted.

This comment on an article about Eamon fasttracking the Adare bypass. What would you have to do to make it clear to people it isn't bike lanes causing allt he disruption? Interrupting broadcasts? Dropping leaflets from planes?

New cycle path working out well.

Continuing work from yesterday.

Section between Newcomen and Five Lamps. I'd thought water main works were complete, but seems not.

Section along Fairview looks like it's not far off. I might be optimistic, but hoping they are trying to get that section done so businesses won't have to deal with it for December/Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Some people are angry and like it that way. They don't want to listen so there's no point in trying to communicate with them.

why do you need all those pipes for a cycle lane?? underfloor heating?

It's clearly the reason the cycle lane is costing €320,000,000 and taking 12 years to complete. It must be to provide water stations every hundred metres. And cyclists don't even pay any tax!

I reckon that section in Fairview has a few months left yet judging by the pace of previous sections.

• Advertisement

never met the guy but it's amazing how much I f*cking loathe him from reading his comments around social media

Does he think they are installing all that water piping and services for free? I’m confused.

I attempted to work with him in the past on some disability & accessibility issues where our interests overlapped. Ended up having to cut off all contact with him. He is one of the most toxic people I've ever met in my entire life, truly hateful. That he uses his disability to get off the hook for his behavior is disgusting

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So effectively there is no cost to dig a big feckin hole all the way from Amiens St to Clontarf, replace the existing antiquated water mains pipework and then close the holes again?

Regardless,to what any eejit might try and claim to their eejit followers, the business case for the cycle path mentions the following savings (over a 30 year period) which far outweigh the cost of the cycle path (even if the full €60m budget was just for the cycling part) [pg 9 of this document]...

I conducted a survey of businesses along the area, and they said the contractors are trying to have the section open for the December Christmas period, but will then revert back in January to finish the footpaths outside the shops.

They may hope to have something like that but there is no way they'll actually be able to do that. There is still a lot of work required along there. Some of the sections along the shops are more advanced than others but I just don't see it myself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The more I go through it in the morning, the more that this junction annoys me. Very much a lost opportunity. It was predicted on here that people heading into town and turning left would eventually go back far enough to block the bus lane, and that's exactly what's happening. The proper way of doing this would have been to continue the bus lane as the left most lane, with the turn left lane in the middle, and then it's just a matter of lights sequencing to ensure that buses can go straight forward without any danger from cars turning left.

Very frustrating that we're doing stuff like this wrong.

• Advertisement

Huge number of workers on the outbound section today. Probably most I've ever seen working on it.

Advertisement