Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nice strawman.

My post, and the content speaks for itself (for anyone expressing doubt because its on Twitter, that's totally fair, but that applies when you're posting videos of Hamas statements or attacks also or complaining about what people at protests are saying when your evidence is...... Twitter).

That post, is another piece of evidence, and there have been many, that show that Hamas have been treating the hostages in a much more humane way than A - The media and Israel/US said they would and B more humanely than Israel treats its hostages.

'Israel bashing', like the haven't been carrying out a genocide for the past 6 weeks. There's a few people here who should log off and have a good think about what it is they have been supporting, and in some cases, flat out calling for more of.

Tell me, should we ignore the words of the various hostages who have been released by Hamas?

Can you tell me why we should accept the narrative from Israeli government mouthpieces, versus the testaments of actual hostages.

P.S. I've condemned Hamas and called for everyone involved in the attack to be 'dealt with' and for funders of Hamas to be targeted through international sanctions.

But, that's the difference between some of us. Some of us can do that and still advocate for the thousands of dead Palestinians. Some of us can look at those dead and cheer on those killing them when by their own admission, only about 1 in 7 is connected to Hamas.

Well if you’re condemning them whats the point of posting this then?

"And story after story from the released hostages tells a story of compassion and of kindness towards the hostages by their captors."

Oh, and if Hamas didn’t kill 1,200 but a smaller total, am I supposed to think they’re not as bad a bunch of thugs as was previously thought?

You keep saying you condemn them but then you come out with the following:

“Tell me, should we ignore the words of the various hostages who have been released by Hamas?”

You’re messaging seems pretty confusing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think its fair enough to bash the Israeli government for what they have been doing in the past month. Are we not even allowed to bash them even for insulting our foreign ambassador? You must very long exiled from Mayo, if think the Irish will just accept that with no comment.

And just so there is no confusion I think there is very little support for Hamas here, however there is no love for Israel either.

• Advertisement

I’ve no problem with people saying they’ve no love for Israel. But posters labouring over the point that Hamas were/are treating their hostages well, especially in the context of October 7th, is utterly surreal IMO.

I would agree on the hamas treatment comment, it is strange. I would also say it is noticeable the lack of condemnation of israels treatment of our ambassador here by some posters who claim to be Irish. Its like everyone has chosen a team and that they cant conceive criticising their chosen team no matter what they do and to whom.

Do you think in a categorical black and white mindset about all things?

American soldiers carried out a similar type of massacre as happened on Oct 7t in My Lai during the Vietnam war. Does that mean that all American soldiers in that conflict should have been viewed as being of a similar mindset?

The point of posting what I posted is that the evidence of how Israeli hostages have been treated is close to 100% the opposite of how Israel said they would be treated. And it is another piece of evidence to show how the narrative that Israel is trying to present is consistently flawed. That's just a simple fact.

Some people would look at this and question their narrative about the wider conflict and wonder really what is going on there. Some would go build strawmen.

Of course its confusing. For some.

Some people bought the Israeli narrative and any evidence that highlights how that narrative is flawed probably find it hard to deal with given their actions over the last 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think this is a great strategy by Varadkar. To be able to get under the skin of the Brits and the Israelis is Irish electoral gold dust I'd have thought.

• Advertisement

This is how Israel are handling the releasing of hostages.

I guess it's hard to know without a poll but I don't think the electorate care about how far the government goes with Israel so it is not a vote winner. I think the riot and stabbing and state of economy will have a much bigger effect. Also SF would be bound to piss off the brits and Israel the most bit that is not what makes them attractive to their voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Could be more the Taoiseach they insulted, I think. They imply he selected words to santise or downplay Hamas' actions, so cowardice (at best) or apologism for terrorists (at worst) I suppose + have run with that. It is quite dirty and dishonest, kind of stuff you might expect from a dictatorships' spokescreatures, and not the shining beacon of democracy in the ME (lol). Anyway their govt. is rotten, and this is just another (small, unimportant) thing that shows it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

So we are pro Hamas now?

Thanks for clearing that up.

I always felt they were a little misunderstood.

I think they could have insulted Leo online and people wouldn't have cared, but constantly bringing it up now and bringing in the Irish ambassador has left a bad taste in Irish mouths. We can insult our Taoiseach but when a foreign country does it is out of order. No different to what happens in a lot of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And theres the whataboutery. Any tactic will be reached for to rehabilitate the Hamas terrorists.

You have built your own strawman utterly misrepresenting My Lai as comparable.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that Hamas as a whole did not approve of the civilian atricities inflicted. Some of which were live streamed. And on that footage we see Hamas fighters celebrating over the bodies of mutilated civilians. Those are actual facts not the 'simple facts' you misrepresent as such which are nothing of the sort.

So your desperate attempt at whataboutery is a total failure.

Israel calling out Hamas misconduct of hostages to a global audience is what put pressure on Hamas in the propaganda war to not inflict further horrors and atrocities on them.

If people cant see through that and start giving Hamas any kind of credit for that, they are the ones who need to question their own narrative.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Israel calling out Hamas misconduct of hostages to a global audience is what put pressure on Hamas in the propaganda war to not inflict further horrors and atrocities on them.

They have you hook, line and sinker.

You've plenty here who will this plotline. I'm not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

It is curious that you want to view Hamas in as positive a light as possible but appear to have completely the opposite approach to Israel.

The letter seems to have been written the day before her release given what ‘she says’. It is common enough practice for hostages to be forced to write or ‘confess’ etc. Has happened as far back as the Gulf War etc from memory. Perhaps the Israeli woman is thinking of the welfare of other hostages and did write it entirely by herself. Or this could be the reason she hasn’t retracted it.

It’s a bit like the Hamas terrorists staged waving to the kids getting into the Red Cross vehicles. In fairness to Hamas some people have swallowed it hook line and sinker so it was worth doing.

Other media sources have hostages losing 7kg, one meal per day of bread and rice, struggling to cope with the light etc but thankfully, aside from splitting up families, no signs of physical torture that i have read about yet.

For the avoidance of doubt, it is not ok to keep hostages even if they aren’t actually physically tortured. God help their families at home as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How do you think this solution can happen when Hamas still exist and they refuse to accept the existence of Israel and vowed to keep attacking until the Jews are eradicated?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Obvious what I meant by "we"

Yes ,do speak for yourself .

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

“American soldiers carried out a similar type of massacre as happened on Oct 7t in My Lai during the Vietnam war. Does that mean that all American soldiers in that conflict should have been viewed as being of a similar mindset?”

Ah right, so there’s some good lads among the ranks of Hamas….

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hook line and sinker falling for Hamas BS?

Theres plenty here who will.

Is that how this is supposed to work?

Sure Hamas are a great bunch of lads.

They deliberately killed, mutilated, raped defenceless civilians.

But according to you give them credit for not abusing the hostages they seized at gunpoint in a war crime.

Hostages whose fate was under huge global scrutiny in part because of Israels publicising of Hamas atrocities against civilians.

Incredible some people seen to take more issue, produce more volume of posts, over some faux concern wrt Ithe exact number and specifcs of the atrocities, than concern wrt the actual horrific atrocities carried out by Hamas which have been established and what that says about Hamas.

Less outrage over 800 dead than about whether Israel reported it as 800 or 1200. They are all victims for which Hamas holds ultimate moral responsibility for attacking civilians in the manner they did.

Any excuse to defend Hamas.

Says it all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looks like they are trying to provoke the Palestinians. What a way to behave?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A shameless rogue State.

Imagine the outrage if, after a prisoner swap between Ukraine and Russia for 100 captives each, Russia just went around the occupied territory and picked up a fresh 100 random new prisoners off the street.

How do you feel about the Israelis releasing 117 prisoners and arresting 116 at almost the same time?

What happens to the prisoners released by Israel?

Are they going to Gaza ?Or are some going to the West Bank and some to Israel itself?

If I was being released to Gaza ,self interest might dictate me staying put in prison because if /when the conflict resumes will they be considered legitimate targets if they are pro Hamas?

Israel should not be in the West Bank at all but in the ongoing situation where they are being (justifiably) attacked then it is logical that they are going to be making arrests on an ongoing basis(and replenishing their pool of potential prisoner swaps)

Cynical,probably yes but they may not even have the choice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

It is. It's also morally correct. And there was nothing wrong whatsoever with his tweet. He should apologise to Israel...for absolutely nothing.

Does anyone believe that Hamas will release all the hostages?

I have my doubts that they will release the soldiers they captured because if they do then there is nothing to prevent the Israelis flattening everything in Gaza. Keeping the soldiers in the tunnels might prevent bombing or flooding them as they might kill their own too. They held a captured soldier for 5 years previously.

Any views lads? How will it pan out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Advertisement