Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

have you a link to that - it's not listed on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I switched both electricity and gas from Electric Ireland to SSE Airtricity on Nov 7th.

I got a closing bill from EI for my gas with final date being Nov 16th and I got a bill for electricity from EI showing I am still on their system and being charged at the higher out of contract rate. I gave meter readings to SSE for both on Nov 7th. Previously when I switched providers I think the billing by the new provider started the day I switched or very close to it. Is this what has happened for others?

I phoned SSE and the lady said it is in the process of happening….. My concern is that EI may get my upcoming government credit on Friday and then I’ll end up chasing them for it when really I should have been switched sooner and the credit going to my actual supplier. It’s 3 weeks tomorrow since I made the switch.

Any ideas /comments welcome . Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pedrohbaron

Nope, Im with Energia for the last 12 months and contract was due to finish, they called me to renew with those rates. I told them I would shop a bit but eventually renewed with them, hard to beat them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, when did you sign up? maybe I'll give them a call to try adn get that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pedrohbaron

Singed up on the 14/11

Yeah def give them a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Has anyone swapped out of the Flogas BWG rate offer to a recent price cut ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They didn't offer it, they offered 15%:

DAY 0.3457 

PEAK 0.3623 

NIGHT 0.1851 

I think Bord Gais might still be better than that for me, since the day value is where we use most.

43.04 32.28 cent per kWh

Urban Peak units (5pm to 7pm)

52.58 39.44 cent per kWh

Urban Night units (11pm to 8am)

31.63 23.72 cent per kW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭billyhead

I signed up to the BG black Friday deal and I'm currently with EI. In relation to the government credit on Friday what happens their if my EI account is credited by the government payment and I have switched over to BG? If the amount of government credit is greater then the outstanding balance on the EI account are EI meant to post me a cheque or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

You can call them and they'll send it to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I signed up with BG 25% discount today and am moving from a 15% discount with Energia.

My rates with Energia were 38.36 day,18.4 night and €1.0246 as a daily rural standing charge.

The new rates with BG will be 33.47 day, 16.55 night and €1.0602 as a daily rural standing charge.

Based on roughly 65% night usage then the switch will save me around €160. If Energia offer 6% then it'll be roughly the same to stay with Energia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Are you tied into the rates with bge for the year or what is the exit fee if you wish to switch provider for lower rate during the year. Could be snookered with fixed rate if rates start to drop in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I switched over as well, we burn about 65% night rate too so should see some savings, the day rate is lower than the Energia package so all good.

Fingers crossed something better will come along in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

From their confirmation email to me "Your contract is for 12 months. Should you leave us before the end of the contract, we may charge you a fee of €50." Supposedly they usually don't apply exit fees so I will jump ship if a better deal comes along down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

1) Create an account with ESB Networks

2) Download your usage history "HDF" file(actually a .CSV)

3) Go to Energypal.ie and upload the file

4) Instant analysis of supplier rankings by price based on your current usage patterns (be sure to select Urban/Rural as appropriate)

The site appears to be updated regularly with latest tariffs. No idea who is behind it, but its an enormously useful facility for comparisons. You can also manually look at the unit rates and see what might be cheaper if you shifted your usage to say 2-5 am on an EV plan (you don't need to have an EV).

100412.2526@compuserve.com

It's a variable rate plan and it'll be €50 to break your contract. The last time I left BG early they didn't charge the €50 though.

You can only download one week? Nevermind it seems to have downloaded it all anyway.

Using that tool for my usage, these worked out within €20 of each other for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

How can I download my usage history? I don't see an option to do it??

• Advertisement

When you create an account and log in, it will be under "My energy consumption"

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭GoodGamerGuy

So I changed to Flo Gas just there, got my last SSE bill and the electricity and gas is 630 euro. That's like 300 more than it was 2 months ago and I honestly don't know why. Great little pre Christmas gift.

Is there some better deals available now or something? I thought Flo Gas was looking like one of the cheapest there, but sounds like theres better now?

Was your last bill an estimate and now it's been caught up because you provided readings when doing the switch?

You were likely using estimated readings as opposed to actual? Plus, I assume you've started to use your gas more this month with central heating.

Depending on your unit rate etc, I don't think FloGas is the cheapest for many (ignoring the expired deals). As you've just switched, you can only cancel your switch and go back to SSE for now. You've to wait to switch again.

I don't know exactly if it is my last, just got an email saying its my latest.

This bill was due to come up now anyways, so I'm guessing I will get a further bill once Flo Gas has changed over? I only did the application last week.

This is the Flo Gas deal I went with:

I went for that over the Smart one because I work at home as a software developer so I am using a computer all day, so the higher day rates might of been worse, but I guess overall I don't know.

Is there a better deal for somebody like me at home a lot working during the day? Bonkers seems to say this is the best.

EDIT

Also yeah we did use a small amount more gas in the past 2 months, a little on heating but we also started running baths more since we have a new born, but that has been over the past 5 months and not the past 2.

Barley use the heating so I didn't think the gas would go up so much

Does it say estimated or actual on your bill? Are the meter readings different then the ones your submitted to FloGas? If they are the same then it is likely your final bill. If they are different, then you likely have another bill coming.

BGE has a better deal yesterday (much better) but it's gone now. The issue with the FloGas contract is that it is fixed. You're assuming prices won't drop in the next 12 months. However, if they do drop, it is only €100 to exit your FloGas contract (€50 for elec and €50 for gas). If Bonkers says it is the best deal for you and you submitted your actual usage in a year as opposed to the national average, then it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,062 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Waterpower gone on holliers

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Take a proper look at your bill and check the rates but also whether the meter readings are actual ones or estimates etc.

So I see this:

Electricity

Gas

So I am guessing the estimate was for the final bill amount.

Shame I missed the better deal yesterday, dang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The link in point 3 brings me to esb networks

Not

energypal.ie

Advertisement