Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Its got to be Barron, right? He’s the guy who is being named captain. Why wouldn’t it be him?

It would be interesting, because that’s the obvious spot to slot in an NIQ.

I think there’s a strong argument to give it to Crowley.

it’s a lot to put on a young player, but he looks to have the right personality for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

He tackles Porter there, Porter offloads to JvdF and play moves on a few meters, Crowley leaps off the ground chasing play and is in over the ball as soon as Hodnett tackles JOB, JvdF can't shift Crowley off the ball. Penalty Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I bet you Jack Crowley's kitchen is immaculate.

Shiney tiles, brand new kettle. Bet you it's got an island too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement

Found it. Tackles a loosehead prop in open countryside. Back up to win a jackal penalty at the next ruck, swatting off a clear-out attempt by a WOPTY flanker. Outstanding.

Maybe Jack could give Josh some tips on clearing out an opposition 10?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/62EQCYfVARM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Very lucky to win a penalty there. JOB isn't holding on and there's no lift from Crowley. I'd say Busby would admit he got that one wrong on review.

I just rewatched this game today and leinster got away with the most obvious wheeled scrum of all time, so i guess they cancel each other out.

edit: everyone cheats at scrums, this one just really stood out to me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I try not to criticise decisions other than TMO ones. The refs only get to see things once, and there's a lot going on. Crowley did well to disrupt the attack, aside from any ref decision.

• Advertisement

Oh yea big time. I didn’t even notice it on tv the first time. Busby generally did a great job imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit of a nonsense call, in fairness. There's no penalty offence there. Crowley is first to the ball, he should just pick it up and play it.

That said, Vdf does himself no favours with his pathetic attempt at a roll. He should let Crowley pick it up and then smash him head on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm getting a bit sick of looking at Porter's face after he cheats at every scrum, gets caught and then acts like it's so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

In fairness you couldn't see Archers face. It was face down in the mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Happens every game though, to the point where as a Leinster fan I can't really complain about it. In the current interpretation that's given as a pen all the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It does annoy me though as in a lot of those scenarios if they player actually "lifted" the ball they'd fall flat on their face as they are over extended to get to the ball.

Penalties should really only be given if the player can legitimately play the ball if allowed.

JGP milked at least two penalties (Zebo's and Archer's ) when the ball was clearly available for him to play.

TBF - they're different scenarios. Leinster are attacking there, so even if the ball becomes available to play, the time Munster took slowing down the ball has allowed the defence to reset and is a penalty offence in and of itself. It's rightly always a penalty.

I don't have an issue with Crowley getting the penalty for the jackal, I was more annoyed at JVDF's poor attempt at a clear out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

youll often hear a 'good' ref call out "no lift" when a player just plops down on the ball with their hands expecting to get the penalty.

i have to explain this at least once every game to youths teams when im reffing a game recently. The penalty is not for them being on the ball, but against the player on the ground for holding on. if they dont lift the ball, theres no way to show that the player on the ground is holding on. ive actually had to explain this to some coaches as well.

im not saying this happened in this case, as busby is a lot closer to the play than the camera. he may have seen a lift attempt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - The penalty offence is for the attack impeding the defence playing the play , not for the defence failing to do so.

Pulling at a jersey of the player on the ground or reaching out and touching the ball doesn't get you a penalty or at least shouldn't - If the attacker stops you playing the ball then it's a penalty otherwise it's play on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Personally think it was a pretty obvious penalty, the type of which you see almost every game now.

But speaking more generally for a jackal penalty, I sometimes wonder should attacking teams just release and allow the turnover?

Yes it allows for quick transition ball against unstructured defence, but it's also vs unstructured attack. You'd surely back your scramble d there ahead of conceding the turnover, penalty and lineout setpiece option (where, I think the majority of tries are scored from?)

The flip side is it can be hard to judge in that split second; you're entitled to place it and you want to give your support an opportunity to affect the clearout and not cede cheap possession.

I think Nash does brilliantly defensively there as well. Leinster had a huge overlap, and he puts enough seed of doubt into Porter about the intercept while also covering Ringrose in case the pass goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I don't understand why Munster were lucky to win that penalty.

JOB was holding on. Gets tackled, places the ball but doesn't release. You can see he keeps his right hand on the ball and then reaches back with his left hand as well to hold it when he realises Crowley is over the ball.

No?

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. There are loads of times, particularly in certain parts of the field, where it's far more punitive to hold on and concede the penalty (as frustrating as it is to be turned over) than to simply let them have the ball.

In either scenario your attack is dead, but the difference is between giving up possession either where you are or potentially 35-40m down the field.

I know sometimes you hold on that extra second and a lenient ref lets it go, and your cleaners arrive, but more often that not if a guy is latched on you'll get the penalty (with the notable exception of Jaco Peyper in the Champions Cup Final 😉)

Nash is playing great this season, and IMO should be ahead of JOB right now if an Irish squad is being picked tomorrow.

And more often than not, with the slow ball anyway, you're kicking on the next phase or 2. It's potentially a 60-70m swing.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its probably the right call, though theres no clear evidence of a lift in that clip. as i said above, busby is closer so perhaps he seen something which isnt clear in the clip.

one thing i look for in the jackler supporting their own weight is if their boots are firmly on the ground, and in this case Crowley's left foot is firmly planted, so hes supporting his own weight, and would have been able to lift the ball without falling over.

its great play and show of strength by Crowley

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Munster squad update:

In player news, Oli Jager has joined his new team-mates at the HPC and his availability for selection at the weekend will be determined as the week progresses.

RG Snyman is also back at the HPC and continuing to rehab after undergoing surgery on a chest/shoulder injury following the World Cup final.

On the injury front, there is good news for Peter O’Mahony (shoulder) and Jack O’Donoghue (ankle) after they sustained injuries against Stormers.

O’Mahony and O’Donoghue are unavailable for this weekend but both injuries are not expected to keep them out long-term.

The news is less positive for Jack Daly as he suffered an ankle injury at training last week and will undergo surgery this week.

Continuing to rehab: Liam Coombes (shoulder), RG Snyman (chest/shoulder), Joey Carbery (wrist), Patrick Campbell (ankle), Roman Salanoa (knee), Mike Haley (hip), Cian Hurley (ankle/achilles), Niall Scannell (groin).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Jack Daly has zero luck.

• Advertisement

Advertisement