Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Is the charger tethered or untethered?

If its tethered, then a cable swap can be done if there is a problem, untethered just use cable that comes with the car.

Some BMWs are jap imports and have a type 1 socket (rare)

Nissan switched from type 1 to type 2 in 2018 (I think)

Any way, its not a huge problem, adaptors exist and cable swaps are possible.

Are you sure the charger is going to be left there? fairly easy to remove it, depending on the charger it could be worth up to 700 euro.

Just be wary that it doesn’t short out the circuits on your indicators.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have you got a picture?

It will 99% sure it’s a type 2 connection so once you get a Leaf 40 onwards your grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

We got this deal 2 weeks ago, Fokearn are the company that come install, they even installed off the Meter for us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is it worth going untethered and a long cable, to save swapping around cars on the drive to reach the charger. I reckon I'll only be using the charger every 3-4 days. The flip side just the general ease of a tethered unit.

• Advertisement

I do this. I have a long cable and both cars can be charged without moving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

These cables are for sale at €99.99 in the Lidl warehouse sale in Mullingar this weekend if anyone needs one, good value at that. There was a good few left when I was in earlier.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I have a Zappi v2 and a Tesla Model S and I started having problems last week and now the Zappi won't charge the car. I got an error one morning after the overnight charge attempt saying the voltage was too high or something. i checked the readings at the time and nothing seemed out of order. I updated the latest Zappi firmware to 5.402 and tried again but it starts charging - i.e. Zappi goes green but the current never goes up beyond 3A before going back to 0 and after a while the Zappi and the car both give up and car says Charge failed. The Zappi retries a few times and then gives up.

The car is charging fine on DC and on the 11kW ESB charger near the house.I looked online and it could be one of several things:

1. The onboard charger has given up the ghost
    2. "Dirty power" and a software update that now causes the onboard charger to protect itself and refuse to charge - i.e. the charger electronics are not the best and to prevent damage the software update now refuses to charge.
    3. Poor connection on the Zappi.

2 seems unlikely since I haven't had any issues for 3 years - apart from a Zappi cable that was changed under warranty in August.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Also if anyone in north city Dublin (D3 or D5) has a Zappi v2 I could try my car with or has a Tesla Model S (or even another EV) that they wouldn't mind trying to charge at my house I would much appreciate it. Please send me a PM if you are willing to help out. Thanks.

If your charging in the 11kw ESB unit then the on board charger should be fine as that’s AC, same as your house only 3 phase.

Can you test it on a friends home charger or anyone nearby that would let you plug in for a few mins to see if the problem replicates on another single phase charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yeah that's what had me confused. If anyone in Dublin 3 or 5 has a single phase charger I could borrow for a few minutes...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Better still, get a long tethered one. I replaced my 5M tethered with a 7.5M tethered and I can charge either car no matter where they are parked in the garden.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

So this happened today.......

Any idea if it can be repaired?

Installer recommends a new one for €1000 supply & fit.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Can't see it being too difficult, not much harder than wiring a plug. Hopefully it's easy to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

This or similar YT content may help you; https://youtu.be/MBq81HjC00w?si=fSBjCPeAVtiJRdPQ

Make sure you turn off the power supply at the isolator switch first.

And double up by switching the breaker in the consumer unit too.

Thanks all. Appreciate the help.

Tell me does anyone know what the 4th white cable is that is shown in the picture?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The wires don't look like they were snapped out. It should be repairable but depends on how it happened.

Did it "just fall out" with a tug of the cable or was it ripped out with force?

Any damage done to the plastic casing? You wont know until its opened up really.

The white cable is a control cable that the car and charge point use to communicate with each other to stop/start/control the charging process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I wonder did someone drive over the cable and pull it out of the box. Because you'd have to wonder is the charger damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

That looks like an easy fix.

if you do buy a new one you could sell that on adverts and someone else would fix it.

Dont let the installer take it away

• Advertisement

So the cable was ripped out of the charger by a car reversing out beside it. Cable got stuck in the wheel arch.

Im hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Any recommendations for cheap reliable replacement with tethered connection and scheduled charging setup?

All those cables would have been crimped, and it looks like the crimps have just been pulled off them which would be good as it hopefully means the connectors they were screwed into might have escaped relatively intact. From the electrical side it would hopefully be just be a case of recrimping the cables and putting them back in the correct place. (The 4th white cable is the 'control pilot (CP)' which is how the charger and the car communicate with each other)

Unfortunately there is now probably a big hole in the bottom of your charger as some of the plastic bits that hold the cable in place and keep the elements out have most likely been broken. In the past I've fixed things like that with sealer and glue but it will all depend on how much damage was done. For now I'd get some tape over the hole to keep the insects and moisture out of it until you're going to look at it.

I assume the car that damaged it was family or whatever and you don't want to get them to cover the costs?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

@Buffman Thanks for the info. I will tape over the hole tonight.

Unfortunately the car that damaged it was mine, with me behind the wheel so in a way the culprit will be covering the costs.......

Ah, nasty, hope you get sorted. It should be fixable, the only real show stopper will be damage to the printed circuit boards or associated components.

The vast majority of cars can do their own charging schedule on board, so a cheaper 'dumb' charger might be an option if it is fecked, I see a few on DD/adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

I know we don't get huge extreme of weather here but just wondering what the recommendations about charging when weather is bad. The wife has a new plug in hybrid and she charges overnight. But what would be the advice if for example it was do to snow overnight and get very cold overnight, or if there was a severe drop in temperature expected. Can these plugs get frozen / stuck easily.

Wife has a Hyundai and from what I gather the scheduled charging on their app is crap. I set it up on the wallbox and all was fine so deffo need that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Don't worry about the weather here when charging. Doesn't seem to be a problem even in much colder climates than ours. Perhaps there was a problem with frozen snow on front opening charger doors in heavy snow, but otherwise cannot see any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

depending on your insurance, you could claim ok that.

I know I’m allowed 2 claims a year without affecting NCB.

@ted1 Never thought of that. Will give them a ring tomorrow 👍🏻

• Advertisement

I charge in the sun, wind, rain, snow, sleet, ice and everything in between.

Don’t over think it 👍

Advertisement