Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There was no first or second part. Hamas demanded many more prisoners to be released then they released hostages. I asked what's to stop them doing it again.

Your reply ' why wouldn't they '

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You know well that for IDF prisoners they will seek the release of more Palestinians prisoners in return. That's the way it has always been in these exchanges . The only difference this time is that the ratio won't be as disapportionate as it was for Shalit's release and people like Sinwar won't be released as part of the exchange. Hamas will accept it as they are under pressure. That is why they were keen to extend the truce and will be keen to extend it again. The complication is some of the remaining hostages are held by Islamic Jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

If israels stated goal for their operation is to destroy Hamas completely then how can they then kidanp hostages in the future? Or is that just a pipe dream and they are killing all these civilians with no real belief that they will destroy Hamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd be wondering just what these 116 Palestinians were doing to get themselves arrested??? I doubt very much that Israel would be that stupid at this (especially the present time) to just go out on the streets and pick 116 Palestinians willy-nilly and imprison them. These 116 were (to my mind anyway) deliberately provoking the Israelis. to get exactly the reaction that seems to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Article is 6 weeks old. Have Germany provided any military aid to Israel since then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

To my mind, Hamas is nothing more than an Islamic Jihadi Terrorist organization, using Palestinians as a steppingstone to greater dominance in the Jihadi world. Where next after Palestine?

Yes, apart from the 2 drones Germany leased from Israel been handed back to them, there's nothing in the article about military aid apart from medical aid.

First sentence

" Germany is in discussions to send lethal military aid to Israel to help it crack down on Hamas and deter an “apocalyptic” intervention by other hostile regional powers."

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hilarious that you think the letter is

a) genuine

b) not propaganda

c) not written under duress

FFS, the state of that post.

Hamas the good guys all of a sudden.

Sure, Lord Haw-Haw had great things to say about the Nazi regime.

• Advertisement

That post, is another piece of evidence,

It's not evidence, its garbage propaganda, that you are falling for heads of heels.

the future is anytime after (if) they release all hostages.

do you think Israel will succeed in destroying Hamas the day (if) they release the hostages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Watched the amazing (fly on the wall) BBC4 documentary Israel and the ARABS /part3 last night.

Wow!

I wonder was Arafat killed? He looked like shi in it.

Could it have even been the Russians?(quelle surprise if it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The letter really touched a nerve with you guys.

Have you any evidence that the letter is not genuine, is propaganda, was written under duress? I'm sure given the hostage was released, they must have released a statement saying what you claim. Have you a link?

No one is saying Hamas are the good guys. That's the strawman the other posters tried to create and attack. Just that Israeli hostages seem to have been treated well while in captivity. Again, have you evidence to the contrary or are you just claiming so because you don't want to accept the fact.

Someone posted over the weekend that Hamas are the bad guys and that nothing and no one will make them change their mind in that respect. Which is fine, again, I'm not claiming they are the good guys.

But what all of you seem incapable of doing is accepting that Israel is a bad actor in this conversation. They have killed Palestinians at rate greater than 12:1 for every Israeli who has died, they have lied repeatedly with respect to their actions and the actions of civilians in Gaza, they have broken international law repeatedly, and they are actively carrying out a genocide. Too many on here refuse to acknowledge that fact but are instead steadfastly supporting their actions.

I'm commenting on the reality of the news that is emerging, you guys are stuck in a narrative from 7 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think they should negotiate to get the hostages back if the price is not too excessive. They have already freed some already this way so the process is working.

I don't think they will defeat terrorism by killing a bunch of civilians in Gaza. Whether the terrorists are hamas or called something different I don't think really matters.

Its the mask slipping.

No question.

The poster is doing its level best to paint Hamas in the best possible light and the Israelis in the worst possible light.

The same Hamas who murdered families in their beds, burned people alive, tortured them and also attacked a rave for no reason other than to kill as many Jews as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You might have an argument if so much of Israels brutality in the early weeks after Oct 7th wasn't based on false stories as to what exactly had happened on Oct 7th.

And as I said in the last post, have you a link that this supposed letter is false or that it was retracted? Aside from the letter, we've seen hostages speaking as to being well treated and seeing them cordially saying goodbye to their captors.

Absolutely there's a propaganda angle to such images, but once the hostages are back in Israel, I haven't seen any change their stories. Why do you think Israel is said to be preventing them from speaking to the media?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There absolutely was 2 parts to your post. You even split it into 2 paragraphs. Go back and read it.

Why wouldn't they ask for all those imprisoned without cause be released for all the hostages. It shouldn't be one for one. It should be every single one of the Several thousand wrongly and illegaly imprisoned Palestinians for all of the hostages.

The prisoners that they do have cause to keep, have proof of crimes, have followed and given due process too, work away, but release those that they have effectively taken as hostage in retaliation since oct 7th and hundreds that have been locked up for years for now just cause

I can see why you thought I was replying to the whole post, but I wasn't, but I thought you'd be able follow along given I was explicitly taking about the prisoner/hostage exchange.

You can be offended or appalled but your choosing to be

That was 6 weeks ago, has there been any military aid given to Israel by Germany?

It's a lazy tweeter, tweeting a 6 week old article like it's breaking news.

I'd say most countries wouldn't feel compelled to donate arms to Israel so they can keep levelling Gaza and killing thousands of kids. Israel are way way past self defence, past revenge and on to just a massacre of a civilian population.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well Israel has form for locking up Palestine residents for no reason beyond the whim of the arresting officer so yes, and it's in the thousands, so yes, I could well believe , they'd pluck some random folks off the street say some absolute bogus charge and imprison them.

Some they maybe lucky with, some they've just decided they don't like the look of

• Advertisement

How do i know ? The article says " Germany is in discussions to send lethal military aid to Israel to help it crack down on Hamas and deter an “apocalyptic” intervention by other hostile regional powers."

So by that it means they are intending to do so. Scholtz has made his policy clear earlier this month where they stand in supporting a state that is and has for decades broke international law.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One thing that has shocked me about the Israel supporters on social media is that they are all cheering on the destruction of Gaza and the death of its civilians. All they ever say is 'Hamas, Hamas, Hamas, October 7th, October 7th, October 7th'. They know full well the country is being destroyed and a genocide is underway and are thrilled it is happening.

Given that Hamas have been decimated militarily in Northern Gaza, they will most likely be in no position to capture more Israeli hostages in the future as they will be essentially be making their final stand in Southern Gaza once the truce ends. Whether they will be completely destroyed is debatable. Israel might have to redefine what victory in that scenario . Perhaps we could see a deal done by whatever remains of the Hamas leadership in Gaza being exiled to Qatar. I could see Qatar pushing for a deal like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Nonsense post.

”all cheering”

”All they ever say is..”

”are thrilled…” etc

Life must be simple where you live. The situation is ever so slightly more nuanced than that.

A more concerning thing is leaders of certain states doing the same despite the vast majority of their citizens being totally sickened by what is going on as well as the majority of the worlds other governments. A few loons on the internet is no problem as long as they stay in the minority.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

I said previously that I think it probably means destroy Hamas in Gaza followed by removal of whoever else Israel can get to in the upper levels of Hamas wherever they are in the world.

What concerns me, assuming Hamas in Gaza is destroyed, is the next stage for Gaza. Given this whole situation occurred so quickly I’m not sure how prepared anyone really is for that. I’m not really sure, for example, that the UN could cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the aspect that shocks me is that they don't even deny that 12k+ civilians have been killed and that much of Gaza has been destroyed (meaning they have full knowledge of what has happened for the last seven weeks and completely approve).

Unfortunately, it seems this is pretty much the response of the Israeli public as well. There was a journalist from Haaretz on Drivetime on Friday saying Israeli TV news rarely even mentions the deaths and destruction in Gaza, but there is no indication their viewers would even be bothered if they did.

Just who is being provoked here is open to question. Some might say the Palestinians in the West Bank living with daily intimidation and harassment are the ones being provoked. Many of these people being siezed may well not be entirely innocent as you say. However as you know from your extensive travels people generally don't tend to throw flowers and recite poetry at those who they feel are oppressing them. It is inevitable some will seek to resist through violence means. Indeed we saw the same in the 1940s with the Jewish terrorists groups Irgun and Hagannah when they targeted the British.

The Hamas leadership in Qatar won't be touched. The Americans won't allow it. So It's hard to see how you truly defeat Hamas, if the the political leadership who fund the military wing are not targeted. I believe the only way to truly weaken Hamas's grip long term is to through prosperity in Gaza. Without it Hamas or some variant of it will likely rise up again. The best hope after the war is that the PA take over, but they are woefully corrupt which brings other problems with it.

• Advertisement

I'm neither offended not appalled, but your post read like they should take hostages again. If I picked it up wrong, then I'm wrong.

But the question remains, what is to stop them doing the same again , kidnapping and murdering Israelis in return for prisoner releases?

And an independent organisation needs to decide which prisoners are being held without due cause. Neither Hamas nor Israel should get to decide that.

Advertisement