Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭leath_dub

johnny does zero research for that slot. If. he hasn't. seen a player/gam recently on the telly, he has very little to contribute. It has always been thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Odd comment to make considering you literally had people gloating in the ROI thread about Kenny not being good enough as soon as he was appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Johnny turned 83 earlier this month, not up to speed on the current game, understandably forgetful on names etc. The Thursday slot will hopefully finish up sooner rather than later, wouldn't like to hear Johnny struggling any more than he may be at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sunjava

I'd get a ban if I was honest....but even in its current state I'd rather 25mins be spent waffling to John than some of the topics that are being discussed. I agree with all the criticism but they are obviously due to the age of the man. If you want cutting edge there are plenty options.

I don't think John was ever known for doing a whole pile of research, even when he wasn't long retired. Dunphy and Giles featured as a double act in Dermot Morgan's "Scrap Saturday". Any time Giles was asked for a comment, all he ever said was " Great player, great player" 😊

Some of his observations are very interesting, I have to say - but the game he played has very little relevance to the "product" the modern game has been turned into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sunjava

Exactly, he shouldn't be compared to the stat bots who often just recycle the opinion they've heard elsewhere in the 24/7 world of podcasts and fan channels. Mostly quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I'm not sure you used the word gloating correctly. Were people stating he wasn't good enough? Every manager should be given a chance. It turns out those posters were correct with their statements though. It's a pity we had to go through almost 4 years of wasted time with Kenny. We don't even have a play off for the Euros to look forward to. That's how bad it's been under Kenny. We're miles behind where we were when he took over, that's how you measure the performance of a manager and the bar was already quite low when he took over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Giles is knocking on a bit and is a bit forgetful but I still like the slot. There's a bit of nostalgia to it which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'll level with you... I was very hungover when posting that. I meant to say people were gloating every time we lost as soon as Kenny took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Exactly!! Agree with this and what an earlier poster said about the current crop just constantly quoting stats. If you are listening to John for cutting edge insight then you are listiening to the wrong thing. The slot is there so we can hear a player from a totally different era, but basically the same game, make comparisons to todays game and how it is so different.

The man is a national hero, and by jesus we shall miss him when he is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

People notice John’s obvious mistakes.

Have people not noticed that he sees the entire game through the prism of his own position? If a player takes the ball off the back 4 like John did and playmake they are a “proper midfield player”, if they play more advanced on the pitch or are just a defensive holding midfielder, John refers to them dismissively.

it’s quite funny that he can only see the game through his own position and any other positions don’t measure up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'm not a subscriber but look a few of the short clips on YouTube these days, is Ger on leave for personal reasons? Presume he wouldn't be taking 2 weeks off this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Someone mentioned David Connolly earlier in the thread for being terrible. What was the context to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How long until the lads climb down on the subscription?

I think they'd have got away with 4 euro a month. Really poor research and decision making to go 10 across the board. It'll finish them.

Michael McCarthy will have to go. Really tough to listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

It's a big assumption to make that the subs model isn't working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason that he's still on is because of how he left RTE.

I remember at the time he went on OTB within a couple days of RTE announcing that he wouldn't be returning with them and John said how it was RTE's choice and that he was keen to continue but they weren't interested.

I remember thinking at that time that he was going to be on OTB as long as he wanted after that because Nathan definitely allowed John to let off some steam about feeling hard done by.

I still like him, mostly for nostalgia reasons to be fair but I also like the no nonsense approach that he suggests football and football management can be. There's no shortage of the analysis by death pundits and at the end of the day, it's all just subjective opinions.

I'm surprised they haven't transitioned his slot in to a magazine type piece where he discusses things outside of recent match analysis. As others have said, during Covid, he did a couple of pieces on legendary teams of old and they were entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

That one they have on Sundays, Anne -Marie or something has atrocious diction. It’s a staccato delivery that is harsh on the ears. Throughly unsuited to radio. Apparently minimal knowledge of most sport also. You’d wonder how she got the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing on Saturday afternoon - they had a sort of sorrowful wake for Stephen kenny and raking over the ashes of how things went so wrong for him.

Lots of depressed sighs and almost crying over how it didn’t work out for him...

They read out texts along the lines of “OTB was wrong in backing SK, he failed, get over it” and by god was there a narky, bad tempered attitude from them over it.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

They keep harking on about the amount of players he capped. From my understand he didnt cap may more than mon etc.

They always fail to mention the amount of games he lost against poorer teams. Like thats not had luck. Its poor management.

He was lucky to last as long as he did. A spoofer.

OTB will go to town on the new manager as soon as things get difficult. SK has normalised failure and the young players have bought into it. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

Yeah i like him. There are endless hours of the latest and greatest analysts out there. It's less than 30 mins a week including ads. I like him and so what if his mind wanders a bit.

• Advertisement

He’s not a spoofer. If he was a spoofer the players would have cut him loose and not supported him. He's probably just an average manager. His problem was he just always believes in playing football while our players hadn’t the ability to play that all team total football way.

Ok. As ive said before we have huge issues if our players are buying into that level of failure. Any player worth his salt would have kicked up blue murder in the dressing room. The players got comfortable under Kenny, he didnt ask the hard questions or make the demands required of them. They were delighted with this. Thats the way dressing rooms go with weak players. No way would a John Walters or Glen whelan have accepted it. And they were fairly limited. It stinks.

Thats not good. I can accept players being limited but that sort of weak mentatlity is toxic and is a much bigger issue than the poor manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Black Friday deal - €100 for the year, or €8.50 a month........

Dadcast update again - our child had an issue last night which was alerted by the under mattress monitor which Nathan Murphy scoffed about people getting. We were so lucky to have been alerted by it.

There should be legal censorship over such ill informed advice by this clown.

Remember the players backed Staunton to the hilt? Players even went on the late late show to defend him. He also gave debuts to loads of players and tried to introduce a new style. How is Staunton remembered as Ireland manager?

Kenny will be viewed the same, a failure who was way out of his depth and extremely inarticulate.

I vaguely remember the man he made captain Robbie keane batting for him on the late late show. I don’t remember anyone else.

For Kenny, all players have spoke well of him when asked. In his final dressing room meeting, John Egan spoke and Jayson molumby spoke on behalf of the players old and young and it was understood to be emotional.

if he was a spoofer this wouldn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

99.99 a year deal now on according to Ritchie last night before he went straight to the cash machine which he would recommend you to enter.

It was a long time ago but there were others who defended Staunton. Point being, it's irrelevant what the players thought of the manager, the evidence is there in the results and performances. Kenny, like Staunton, proved to be way out of his depth.

On Pat Kenny today they were discussing tech gifts for Christmas.

Shamelessly included was an annual subscription to Off The Ball for the low-los price of 99 euro, instead of the usual 130 euro 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Advertisement