Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think to reenter they will need another ref. Both in terms of showing the EU that it is serious and that the Parties are now invested in an EU future with UK in it, but even more so that the debate needs to be had in the UK. 'Sneaking' their way back in will always leave those brexiteers with an argument about democracy etc.

If people believe that returning to the EU is a good idea, and the political parties align with that idea, then they should be happy to make that argument and put it to the people in a ref. Legally of course they don't have to, just mention something about closer cooperation with EU in the manifesto and like the Tories with Brexit use that to cover every and any idea up to an including rejoin.

But the reason Brexit succeeded in getting the votes was that for years the UK didn't understand and value its membership of the EU. They need to put out a clear and concise reason as to why it makes sense to rejoin. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be the political will do do that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is zero chance Starmer let's Labour's first term in power be dominated by anything about re-joining the EU.

I wouldn't completely rule it out for a second term, but realistically the country needs to convince the EU that they won't just change their minds again with a new government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Polls are a load of $hite. You can engineer them to get what whatever result you want or inadvertently bias the result through your method.

There's zero chance of another ref in the UK inside the next decade imo and rightly so. The outcome needs to be fully absorbed before the question can be asked again.

There's plenty of discontent on the continent for the EU to worry about. They're not even thinking about Brexit anymore and I reckon they'd tell the UK to fck off if there was any back channel calls dipping the toe from the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly it's not even about polls; until the major parties are pro EU overall there's no reason for even considering it. Because let's say UK holds another vote and it comes out 56% re-joining the EU, great. Labour starts negotiate the deal (and will have some very bitter pillers to swallow) but get it over the line and re-joins EU. What's then stopping the Tories from pulling them out because they won the next election? Hence I don't think the polls etc. actually matters; what will matter is that the major parties are for re-joining on both sides (you can always have some rump stump party like Farage's parties claiming no) before it would be considered; because anything less is a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

As well as needing both main parties to be on board, I believe it also needs both parties to be on board completely simultaneously. It would mean the other party can't use 'they don't believe in Britain, want to sell us out' slogans at the next GE.

That would require the sort of mature politicking, co-ordination and co-operation that they aren't famous for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Which means, I think, that it will actually be easier for the Tories to pivot to being pro-EU that it will for Labour; the Tories are much less vulnerable to a faux-patriotic attack from Labour than Labour are vulnerable to such an attack from the Tories.

There are other reasons, of course, why it would be difficult for the Tories to make such a pivot. They have pretty effectively purged the party of anybody who recognises the need for such a pivot, and not only all the current leading figures in the part but also all their rivals and potential replacements are too identified with Brexit to be able to pivot without being (justifiably) accused of rank hypocrisy. There needs to be generational change in the Tories before they can shift back to supporting EU membership.

(But, once they do, Labour will follow them faster than a ferret on meths.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It would be 2040 at the earliest before the UK would be anywhere near a position to be allowed to rejoin the EU. They've fcuked themselves for a generation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also, they'll likely find the EU won't be so eager to indulge in exceptions and opt outs this time either: aren't all accession countries required to adopt the euro now or can you still get an out? Even if not, the lingering europhobic will lament the days when they had vetoes and more a là carte power - methinks it won't be so convenient next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eventual membership of the euro and Schengen are both compulsory for new entrants. You can deliberately sabotage the entry rules though like Sweden with the Euro

In the hypothetical that we're looking at the UK wouldn't, I think, get the degree of leeway that Sweden has been given.

The Brexit process was systematically disfigured by the UK's bad faith — adopting negotiating positions and then, having secured concession on that basis, attempting to resile from them; entering into agreements that had never intended to honour; etc. This was pretty shocking to the EU, which it itself the creation of agreements and treaties. If agreements and treaties are to be made lightly and disregarded for political convenience, that's an existential threat to the EU, and not something we can tolerate.

So, part of the UK become a credible (re-)accession candidate is persuading the EU that this was a temporary aberration by an otherwise normal, grown-up, self-respecting sovereign state, that does in fact act in good faith when making agreements and entering into treaties.

That pretty much rules out a UK government negotiating into an accession treaty that provides for the UK to adopt the euro when it meets the convergence criteria, and then campaigning in the ensuing referendum on the basis that, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, we have no intention of giving up sterling and will arrange matters so that we never meet the convergence criteria (or from doing those two things in the opposite order; it doesn't matter). The very clear message to the UK will be "if you want to join the EU but not adopt the euro then you need to be honest and upfront about that, and seek to negotiate an accession agreement that gives you an express opt-out. We might agree; we might not; we'll think about it if you ask for that, and our answer may depend on what you offer in return. But there can be no question of you signing up to treaty commitments about measures that you have no intention of taking. As far as you're concerned we're done with that, and any hint that you are not is fatal to your accession application".

I mean, it'll be more politely expressed than that, but that'll be the gist of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the Tories have no difficulty with hypocrisy - it has never bothered them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

The British PM, Sunak, just snubbed the Greek PM yesterday.

So clearly they are not going down the route of ".. let's build bridges with our European neighbours .."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I wonder if the day UK decides to apply Greece would put the return as a pre-requisite for letting their application be approved along the lines of Macedonia's name. Only pure speculation of course but it would not surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It smacks of a political stunt to please the Tory base and the Daily Mail. The Greek government's position was well known long before this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't see it. If the EU as a whole wants the UK back, Greece won't hold it up. The same concern was voiced during the Brexit negotiations.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The UK will need all countries to be onside for a successful application. I see no reason why Greece would not hold it up. But my point was that the UK , under Sunak, are not trying to build any bridges with EU countries. And, ironically, the Greek PM is probably closer to the Tories, in policy, than a lot of EU leaders.

And today, Cameron is visiting Brussels to try to mend fences. (Meeting NATO but he is hoping to have a meeting with Maroš Šefčovič ).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sunak is months away from being yesterday's man. It doesn't really matter and I doubt the Greeks are that immature.

I don't know what will happen, I'm only going by precedent and I don't see Greece holding up anything if the EU26 are happy. They've more important priorities for their political capital. They might not even need to given Osborne's recent statements on the subject.

“I hope we can reach an agreement with Greece,” former chancellor Mr Osborne said during his speech.

“An agreement that enables these great sculptures to be seen in Athens, as well as London.

“An agreement that allows other treasures from Greece, some that have never left those shores, to be seen here at the British Museum.

“As trustees we look for a partnership with our Greek friends that requires no one to relinquish their claims, asks for no changes to laws which are not ours to write, but which finds a practical, pragmatic and rational way forward.”

It's not a commitment to returning them but it's the best hope we have of some kind of mutually agreeable compact being reached and it doesn't need either Brexit or the EU to happen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

But the meetings the Greek PM was having with both Sunak and Starrmer was, at least in part, to further that partnership? It was the Mitsotakis exact words in that interview with Laura Kuenssberg. The snub from Sunak can only be that the UK government does not agree with the position of the British Museum on this partnership.

Greece did hold up FYRM application for less so i wouldn't be at all surprised to see them hold up any application from the UK. Although realistically, any application will be decades away so both Sunak and Mitsotakis will be just names from history.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Huge difference between holding up the Macedonia application which very few in Europe really cared too much about and holding up the entry of a major economy.

The issue was also a way way bigger on in Greece than the marbles. It involved naval blockades, almost collapsed governments and even led to stuff as stupid as whether Macedonia should sit with the M or F countries in the UN (compromised as T for the 🙄)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Doesn't the UK still have lots of 'compliance' things to do? It's not like they're checking imports thoroughly, are they? I don't think much has changed in the last few years. This might be why Cameron's meeting with Sefcovic, I thought there was a 2025 deadline that no doubt the UK will whinge and miss.

• Advertisement

I suspect that Cameron's meeting might have more to do with the tariffs on electric vehicles because of foreign batteries. In either case , it will need support from member states to agree a change, at least that is the French view as they see this as reopening the trade deal negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Whatever about having to wait for a new generation to emerge in the UK, before a return to the EU might be contemplated, there's probably a similar need to wait for the current generation of EU commissioners, MEPs and member state leaders, who had to deal with the UK's breathtakingly awful "negotiation tactics", to retire or move on to other positions.

I'd imagine quite a few of the current incumbents have far more sympathy for De Gaulle's position on UK membership now than they did previously.

Can't imagine the average citizen of the EU wants them back any time soon either. Certainly not the countries that didn't rely on them as an employment destination.

They mostly already have moved on. Michel Barnier, who was head of the EU's UK Task Force, resigned in 2021. He's 72, and unlikely to return to that or any other gig. His sidekick Sabine Weyand moved on even earlier, in June 2019; she's now Director-General for Trade. Even the EU ambassador to the UK has changed; the first ambassador, João Vale de Almeida, retired in January 2023 and was replaced by Pedro Serrano.

The current point man for relations with the UK is Maroš Šefčovič, who is the EU co-chair of the Partnership Council established by the TCA, but that's very much a second job for him; his main gig is being  Vice-President of the Commission for Interinstitutional Relations and for the European Green Deal, and Acting Commissioner for Climate Action.

If the UK were to apply to accede, the application would likely be handled by the Commission's Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations. The current Commissioner is Olivér Várhelyi, but of course by the time the UK actually applies it could be someone else; all the current Commissioners' terms expire next year and, even if their national governments reappoint them, there'll be a new Commission with a new allocation of responsibilities. And matter wouldn't be primarily handled by the Commissioner anyway; someone at Director level or below would be the main point of contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah but most of the compliance stuff is on their side afaik, ie they arent checking ports inbound to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hrm. So, besides being a 'rule taker' going forward, seems like they'll want to change the agreements one they finally decide that not checking things is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Thanks for the details there, Peregrinus. Brexit often seems much more recent to me than it is - Covid and lockdown seem to have scrambled my sense of time. That said, I wonder how much institutional memory will be a factor in the EU's attitude to the UK - maybe not as much as I imagine.

There'll definitely be a corporate memory of the Brexit process and how it unfolded. And, yeah, it will definitely condition the EU's response to any (at thist stage, hypothetica) approach from the UK about re-acceding, or joining the Single Market, or whatever. I don't think this will depend on the same EU officials handling the approach as handled Brexit — that almost certainly won't happen. But whoever is involved on behalf of the EU will be aware of Brexit and how it unfolded, and they will be concerned to see the UK demonstrate that Things Have Changed.

It's mad to think we are closer to the 10 year anniversary of the vote than we are to the vote.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say so. Between the indicative votes, May's deals, Johnson's plotting and covid, that sounds about right. It's been a depressing decade here if you include Cameron and Clegg's austerity nonsense.

Advertisement