Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh and where is that guy who was giving me grief last week for making the unbelievably controversial statement that Spurs would not win the league?? 🤣

Could go back and check but won't bother, I'm more interested to know if he stands by his words or not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rumours of Allison being out for 5 weeks or certainly for the festive period anyway. Only rumours so far but I find injury rumours at Liverpool usually turn out to be true in the end. Hopefully this one isn't. Bad time for an injury as Liverpool play every weekend and midweek now until mid January.

Could be an extended spell with Kelleher in goal. He's done very well in the past but I don't think he's been particularly great this season when he's gotten a chance. His shot stopping especially is well short of Allison's level. Even though he's probably better with his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the draw said more about City than us.

they are more vulnerable than they've been since 2 years ago. KDB and Stones back will be huge if and when those returns happen, but Gundogan is a big loss. also, as insanely gifted as Doku is, he doesn't give them the control of a Grealish, who wins incessant frees and keeps the ball ad nauseum.

the balance hasn't quite been struck perfectly yet. they'll probably get it right by New Year, as they usually do, but there are chinks that haven't existed for a while. we would not have got that point from that performance last season - not a fúcking hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

If that's the case, then I feel that is the straw that could break the slight outsider title challenge back. What a f**king disaster, this's such a crucial period coming up and we need to take near maximum points in the PL. IMO that is just not possible without Allision, he's our most important player after Salah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thought Trent was better than he was given credit for. I see a lot of the 11 Doku dribbles stat being posted online, but a lot of those dribbles ended up with the ball being passed backwards or just running into trouble. He only actually got around Trent to deliver a key pass maybe 2 or 3 times. Not exactly horrific stuff. Trent actually forced him to run into less dangerous areas a few times, and on one occasion made a brilliant recovery run to prevent Doku getting through on goal in a counter attack into miles of space. Obviously the challenge for the goal was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don’t think any defender this year is going to have great days against Doku. Fantastic ability. Trent I thought was decent enough most of the game.

We were lucky enough to get the draw in terms of just thinking about real chances on goal and only for Allison’s save vs Foden in the corner, we would have been in trouble.

Someone posted yesterday the City bench and its value. It’s insane what they can just park on a bench and we are all to believe it’s not financial doping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It was only 45 minutes but Kelleher looked good last week against NZ. Some smart passes and a really good save. I'd be interested to see him get a run even if I wouldn't be wishing his team well 😜

Don't know if any follows TIFO on youtube, I find them very good. Anyway, here's their take on how we're going about things this season, for anyone that's interested.

https://youtu.be/6Es7yISajrc?si=wUHe-eq1ixJS_qGW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The inch might as well of been a mile because at the end of the day he didn't get the block in. Small margins but that is to be expected at this level

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He didn't get a block in because, if I remember correctly, Allison had to very hastily kick it out for a City throw near the corner flag.

It was very close, their press was causing us problems.

• Advertisement

Exactly nothing came of it 👍

Regarding the Allison injury and rumours about him been out for 5 weeks,its seems to be stemming from an article in the standard where they are speculating about the length he could be sidelined for,pure guess work and that they are awaiting the results of a scan. Now knowing our luck they will be right and it will be 5 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thought Salah was very poor on Saturday.

Goes to show he's human after all.

For his standards he probably was but still came up with an assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The all round quality everywhere in those decisive positions was well below the norm, guessing because of the time, and the international break and travel. Salah, Haaland (even with his goal) and Nunez were below themselves, Jota and Alvarez were nigh on anonymous, and even Diaz was poor enough in his cameo too.

Liverpool City games have been incredibly high quality over the past 5 or 6 years. Saturday was an outlier.

I really hope we don't see that fixture at the early Saturday slot following an international break again.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I think Peps change of formation/approach is the shift in dynamic. Possession is now less important that superpower players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Putting on one of the marquee games of the season at 12.30 on a Saturday after international break is braindead from a promotion perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

I'd imagine the 12.30 starts are there for the Asian markets. It's probably getting a bigger audience than you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was scheduled for 5:30 but IIRC the coppers wanted it changed to an earlier KO for "safety reasons" which is a fairly damming indictment of what they still see football fans at. Hence why Sky had the viewing rights still to the game even though TNT has the 12:30 rights to broadcast this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Have they? They are at 62% possession average for the season according to FBref website and they were at 64% last year. I would think the difference between the 2 years at the moment is in the 3 matches so far they have played the other 4 teams that like to keep the ball (us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Brighton). According to the same site they were at 64% last year. (https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/possession/Premier-League-Stats)

Pep is still Pep, he sets up his teams to not get countered against as that is what kills him in the big matches. Think Inter in the Semi of the CL and think of all those matches against Mourinho in La Liga. He sets up his teams not to concede but that means they aren't great on the counter themselves. This is not to say they do not score on the counter, they just don't play as much as we and other teams do.

What has had to change is he has a striker that is lethal when he gets a chance, but he does not do as much as his other strikers used to do off the ball. So there has had to be a change in style somewhat to compensate for this, but they are still a conservative defensive team that uses possession as a way to stop teams from going at them. He has all the tools to win, and he does win with what he has. But he is also the only manager out there that can buy duds and plant them on the bench and not get hammered for it, think Philips.

Fearing the worst with Alisson being out for a prolonged time, especially with the lack of news. We probably won't get any until Wednesday's pre-match conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Part of me would have more faith in Adrian to deputize on Sunday but he hasn't played at all.

At least Kelleher will have played Thursday.

• Advertisement

Hopeful Ali is ok, didnt rush off the pitch at full time.

Oh god no, Adrian has been an absolute disaster with at least 1 awful mistake per game in him the last few times he has played. Kelleher is obviously not near Ali's level (few are), but he is far more competent than Adrian.

Whatever keeper is chosen, if Allison is out for the long term, its going to be catastrophic to our slim chance of title challenge anyway. I said earlier that he's our most import player after Salah and he's still so crucial to how we set up. He's made at least one world class save in every game this season that neither, Adrian or Kelleher are making. Yet again he has faced the most one v ones in the league so far this season, 3 years running now, and his saved percentage on them is 69%! The next best percentage is something like 47%, can't remember exactly. To put it simply, we're just going to concede a lot more goals without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I was gonna say this as a reply to you yesterday when you said it but I thought at the time it was just nitpicking but now that you've said it again I'll say it, and it is a bit nitpicky and I'll bet I'll be in the minority thinking this but personally the way the squad is now I would prefer to be missing Salah for the festive period than Allison and for me it's not even that close a decision.

For me the drop off in quality in such an important position is much bigger from Allison to any other keeper we have than it is from Salah to whomever will cover him while he is out. As you said Allison has made at least one world class save every game this season so far and very often it has been at pivotal points in the game. Think about his save against Mbuemo at 0-0 against Brentford, his save against Foden at 1-0 on Saturday and there are tons of examples of saves that he makes that would simply be goals against us with any of our other keepers in. The importance of these saves cannot be understated imo and I would hypothesize that they have garnered us more points this season than anything else any other player has done for us. I know it's impossible to know the answer to this but that's my guess.

I know goals win games but Salah's goals (or anyone else's for that matter) would be far less meaningful had we been conceding at the rate we would have been with either of the other two in goals. And that's not a slight on the other two, we just happen to have the best keeper on the planet right now so the drop off would be huge to any realistic no.2 candidate we could have. Salah's understudies on the other hand are all full internationals with bags of experience in many leagues etc.

Yes, this’s exactly my sentiment and I certainly wouldn’t disagree with you naming Allision as our most important player. It’s like we have both pointed out, aside from his world class shot stopping, he’s just so vital for the one on ones that we inevitably cough up from our set up. There’s no other way to around it, but we’re going to concede a LOT more goals without him… 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is it home to Fulham and then Sheffield Utd next in the league, could be worse fixtures if it's not too serious FOR Allison.

I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've seen Kellegher is a poor replacement, he's a good ball player but is poor at the goal tending part of the job. There is a massive drop off.

Allison is a brilliant keeper, possibly the best in the game, so anyone is going to be a drop in quality, but he does tend to pick up the odd injury, and we should have decent cover.

• Advertisement

After tonight's results in the champions league,there is a good chance that Newcastle could be in the Europa league after christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Or PSG!

Newcastle have the head to head. So if they beat Milan at home then PSG have to win in Dortmund

Either way, there's some big teams joining us in the EL. Hopefully we do win the group and avoid the first round where the CL dropouts join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Rumours are that Allisons injury isn't as bad as first feared. Hopefully Klopp clarifies today.

Strong possibility of UTD been there too, all things considered, it would be a bit mad if ourselves, Newcastle and UTD are all playing Europa League football come February!

Sounds like Ali is out for at least two weeks and Jota for a bit longer.

Allison potentially back for the utd game. Jota will be out "a little longer". See him in March so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Alisson out is a worry. Jota hasn’t been great the last few weeks so a rest will be good for him.

I'd say this means Ali could hopefully be back for Palace, just missing Fulham and Sheff Utd

“Both out (Alisson and Jota). Ali is a bit lesser, so we have to see day by day. He cannot play tomorrow or Sunday probably not the week after, should be kind of okay. Diogo will take a little bit longer, don't know exactly. Have to see.”

Yes just reading the full quote now and a chance he might be back for the Palace game but they might not rush him back either,All in all not the worst outcome and it could of been worse

• Advertisement

So like 2 weeks for Ali, thats great news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Our second highest goalscorer in all comps.

Tho tbf, Salah is the highest and people (myself included) keep pointing out how poor his performances are!

Salah is always top scorer so maybe we should just count 2nd top as the top scorer!

Salah gets compared to himself though, it's very unfair 🤣

Well, if he's not as good as Salah, then fvck him, let him rot 🙄😂

He's been good this season, scoring important goals.

Gonna take a stab at the team for tonight. Should have enough to get the win, and hope that Toulouse can not win to ensure top spot is obtained tonight.

Kelleher

Gomez Quansah Konate Chambers

Jones Endo Gravenberch

Elliott Gakpo Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's going to be all or nothing for united - either they stay in the Champions League or they get illuminated from Europe altogether.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Advertisement