Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, don't forget Sony in all this; sure don't they have Madame Web and Kraven on the way? They're surely about to cream it in 🤭

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a bit too raw talking about those films for me, as my mom was also in the Amazon when she was researching spiders, right before she died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Decent choice to write it.

‘Loki’ Creator Michael Waldron To Write Marvel Studios’ ‘Avengers: The Kang Dynasty’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

i thought Kang was being written out of the MCU due to problems with the actor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Think that was a rumour and unconfirmed. They thought Secret Wars or something was gonna take precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Spider-Verse and the PlayStation videogames are probably the best things carrying the Marvel logo at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I definitely get the distinct impression from a wild guess those running the SpiderVerse films are definitely not those running ... ... whatever you call that live action universe. Not sure if you can chalk up the Miles Morales movies as intentional success from Sony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It'll be very hard to use Majors given the sheer number and content of the allegations and the impending court case that could drag on for a while - but it wouldn't be toooo hard to swap actors. It's already been shown in-universe that the different iterations of the same character can look very different. We've seen a whole bunch of different Loki's. So they can just pull an "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" and have the Kang that emerges be a different version. Or have some bit of time travel make some little change, and 'pop' that change has resulted in all the Kangs having a different face instead of Majors. Since the solution is built into the story already, it seem easier than trying to course correct the whole planned narrative arc.

(side note - just realised that the two high profile in-movie "magic'ed" face changes I can think of both involved Johnny Depp and Colin Farrell. Both replaced Heath Ledger in Doctor Parnassus after he passed away, and then Johnny Depp was replaced by Mads Mickelson, having previously been disguised as Colin Farrell in the Fantastic Beasts movies.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I said the same thing the other day when debating the Kang situation...considering it's Kang and the amount of variants out there ...marvel can easily replace Majors if required to do so!

David Washington maybe even Denzel himself

Donald Glover

Aldis Hodge

Winston Duke (it's a multiverse after all!)

Lakeith Stanfield

Idiris Elba (see multiverse)

To name a few

Aye: considering an entire show, Loki, has gone out of its way to demonstrate that alternative versions of a character don't necessarily equate to having the same face, race or gender, if the Jonathan Majors controversy becomes untenable I don't see why they can't just recast. Though I don't imagine Marvel would be foolish enough to cast a white person to replace Majors - the press and viral sledging alone would be something.

• Advertisement

He can just be replaced by a variant who looks different.

I do wonder were all the 2024 releases actually delayed till 2025 so they can do reshoots next year for that reason if he has to be removed from already filmed scenes and those movies have to be rewritten in some form.

It's as good a guess as any: if nothing else a surprise recasting might drum up and restore a little hype and excitement for a situation that has rapidly declined since Majors became a questionable choice. Bad enough the general response has been meh to Kang as the new Thanos - worse still if the actor yet turns out to be toxic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tbh, watching the second season of Loki I was half-expecting

to see Renslayer take over as the "new" Kang/He Who Remains.

There are a number of ways this particular issue could be dealt with that would have little impact on the larger narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

2 geekdom names to throw out there who probably wouldn't command astronomical pay demands. LeVarr Burton or Michael Dorn.

On the spoiler that was the guess I posted in the Loki thread as Marvel's get out of jail card they could play.

I think it would work myself and the actor is good enough to pull it off.

Would love Donald Glover or Lakeith Stanfield for it.

Watched the trailer for Stanfields new film (The Book of Clarence) and it had me in stiches he would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Possibly but those movies seem like strange ones for Kang to be involved in outside of an end credit. They look like they'll be earth based and none of the heroes or their storylines really fit taking him on.

If they are rewritten to remove him, it would be more to get all the pieces in position to a position to kick off the two Avengers movies by a different path.

Feel most likely that what they were seeing had all the flaws that have caused the most recent movies to have issues so trying to resolve them. Obviously one of the issues of recent movies were the changes that were made so they might be causing more issues than they're fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

A recast is the easiest route as there's no need to fast track Doom for example, which is being speculated online.

When you think about it Marvel were quite fortunate. Of all the characters they could have found themselves in this situation, Kang gives them the easiest out. I'd say they're just kicking themselves over that Quantamania post credit scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kang normally has the blue face which he'd for some of the time in Ant man, they could easily have anyone play him with a CGI face and just get close with the voice.

Generally for movies you don't want to hide someone behind a mask too much though, you want to be able to see them emote and perform, and also to have that recognition to be able to use a big character for promotional work etc. There's also the element that the reason they might drop Majors is to actively distance themselves from him and his alleged actions, so it'll have to be a more firm distinction rather than just hiding the character behind a mask. Actually just recasting him works better anyway, fits within the world they've established, and lets them bring in someone interesting they can make the most of (like Donald Glover/Lakeith Stanfield etc).

Hopefully Feige sticks to his word on this.

Downey’s Iron Man made his exit in 2019’s Avengers: Endgame, still a high-water mark for the series. Marvel has a reputation for resurrecting characters who seemingly meet their ends, but Feige says that won’t happen to Stark. “We are going to keep that moment and not touch that moment again,” Feige says. “We all worked very hard for many years to get to that, and we would never want to magically undo it in any way.”

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Considering the money Downey Jr. was on before EndGame, could you imagine how much he could demand from Marvel were they to come knocking? I'd say Feige's comments are as much driven about the cost as anything - plus the actor himself seems keen enough to put some distance on the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd completely forgotten JUST how bloody amazing season 4 of Agents of Shield was. How has Gabriel Luna not gone onto more things!

And I somehow never copped till now that Polly Hinton was played by Elle from Season 1 of Criminal Minds. I thought she'd completely retired from acting after Criminal Minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They have left enough room from maneuver though in how they framed it. Downey appearing as a different, likely evil, Iron Man from another universe doesn't 'magically undo it', as it isn't the MCU Iron Man so shouldn't take away from that moment. They could probably make the argument that it could enhance it if you see the reaction of other characters (I do not agree with that argument).

There is really only negatives of them doing it outside of a very short term money grab so hopefully everyone looks at that perspective.

Season 4 was such a high point and legitimately good TV; and it's crazy to think much of the season was spent in an ostensible virtual reality where nothing that happened should have mattered - but they made it work so, so very well. The stuff with Mack was heartbreaking but wow wow: turning Fitz into a Dr. Mengele figure - then letting him remember every damn minute of it? Chef's kiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Set photos for Deadpool 3 doing the rounds they spoil something big.

Advertisement