Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you're grossly underestimating or ignoring the problems caused by solar radiation here, and why Space Stations have remained the most & furthest we have "colonised" the stars. This is why potential Moon Bases have started wondering if building subterranean is the best way to cheaply avoid the radiation. It's a gigantic, deleterious problem among a host of others, and all the aspirational talk in the world can't escape the reality of science here.

Until shielding or otherwise is lightweight, cheap and effective, just getting to Mars, let alone building there, before we've proven the concept on the Moon is ... well that's childish talk. Because it's pursuing a goal that's exponentially more dangerous and expensive for no otherwise than infantile obstinance, cheered on because of some notional idea we should overstretch for its own sake.

It's not rocket science here (ahaha), and your aforementioned NASA engineers didn't start with the moonshot; they incrementally pushed the envelope with higher & higher altitude flights, before the first orbital capsules started appearing. There's a reason why Apollo 11 was number eleven. Apollo 1 killed its crew on the pad, yet they persisted and fixed the flaws. Work the problem, prove the concept; if Musk was any kind of an engineer at all he'd understand this. Funny that.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think you really need to drop this topic. It's clear you haven't the first clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't need to drop anything, mr. expert in things that can't be done. But also I've nothing else to add, I mean once you get that entrenched in "it's too hard it can't be done we need to do something else first" it's very little to be said anyway - only that this kind of people aren't the ones moving us forward, the other kind is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's not just things like radiation, technology etc., but how humans can handle a journey. I heard part of an interview about some of the training astronauts go through, it sounded horrific. And to think that Lyle Langley will send a bunch of devotees on the cruise from hell based on some nice CGI just boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The guy who can't maintain a decent safety record in either his cars or workplaces is to be trusted with safely delivering a colony on Mars? You're accusing other posters of being entrenched in their views but you've shown time and time again how entrenched your own viewpoint is. You've ignored every business **** up of his, I'm inclined to say you're enamored with his "anti woke" positions to the point that you believe every move of his to be genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're right. You have nothing to add here. That's precisely why you should drop it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I honestly don't think you read the posts or points being made if your summary is that mine and others are "entrenched" opinions that Mars is too hard. I think there's only one person here being entrenched if you just refuse to acknowledge the scientific realities of a trip to and colony on Mars. This isn't about vision Cordell, but a weird stubbornness to learn the ins and outs when people are willing to give them why Mars is fantasy stuff.

You're the one who name-dropped NASA - perhaps you should actually do some reading into how they achieved the goal of landing on the moon.

Spoiler: the first launch wasn't for the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It is really hard to go to Mars. Brutally difficult, and that's before even attempting to stay there for any length.

Elon Musk doesn't seem to think so, cool, but that's because he doesn't have to figure it out, he gets smart people to work 100 hour weeks to figure out that part. If it wasn't Musk it would be someone else trying.

Likewise, if Musk had never been around we'd still have electric cars, a drilling company, private space flight, internet satellites, likely with someone else doing the pushing, e.g. Bezos

However recently the mask has really fallen off and exposed a guy who isn't really that smart, doesn't have much critical thinking - he just excels at getting very intelligent people to do the legwork for him. Maybe that's all that's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They nailed it with this one.

Secured The Perfect Cover For Any Past And Future Antisemitic Tweets

All he has to do is reply with a photo of himself alongside Netanyahu anytime he posts a conspiracy theory about Jews destabilizing world governments.

Spoiler: the first launch wasn't for the moon.

Yes, and no one is saying to go to Mars at the next launch.

he just excels at getting very intelligent people to do the legwork for him

You hit the nail on the head. That's his quality that drives his success - his ability to assemble teams of smart people and lead them to achieve his vision.

No you're saying skip The Moon and go for Mars, even though it's the more insane swing for all sorts of credible scientific and logistical reasons we have tried to explain - but got the dismissal that we're "entrenched" and don't have vision to see it.

A martian colony, is a dangerous fantasy and waste of money. A lunar colony makes more sense, is infinitely more achievable today and as I said already it's rather inane that putting a colony on the moon somehow possesses less "vision" that Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Continued fawning versus engaging in a discussion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The only people who really believe Starship will be going to Mars any time soon are Elon's band of merry worshipers, never mind talk of colonising Mars and the likes.

Starship is something I have been following for a while, and I would love to see it become a success, despite what I think of Elon himself.

Starship has huge potential and can be a game changer for the space industry if successful, but there is a long way to go, they still haven't even reached orbit successfully with it yet. And then they have to somehow get to a point where it is proven safe enough to be able to land astronauts on the moon and satisfy NASA's criteria for Artemis. This is several years away at best IMO.

I think the best hope for a successful manned mission to Mars will actually be a new rocket technology, maybe Nuclear which NASA are going to start looking into again. I would be hope that I will see it in my lifetime, but unless some new game changing technology is discovered, humans will not be colonising Mars for a very long time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This was good. Fairly sure this is what happened with Twitter. The Board were just able to force him to complete sale and leg it with their cheques (magic beans successfully sold)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,143 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Here is a good explainer on him. It's 30 minutes long but starts with where his wealth came from and moves on through his various business ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Elon stands for free speech.....except for China and like Gaza, basically he only believes in free speech when it benefits him, what a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No its far more simple than that he believes in speech without consequences but only for himself, pretty much exactly the same as all his fanbois

That’s a good video. I’d forgotten about his ridiculous hyperloop idea (and hyperloops are a terrible idea in general). But his idea would have sold more cars and prevented public mass transit being built, even for a few years, so enriched him. Perfect Musk idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He basically admitted that the main reason for the hyperloop was to deter investment in public transport.

Musks low employee standards are hitting him in the pocket in Sweden. Hes refusing to sign a collective bargaining contract with the Tesla mechanics there so they have gone on strike. In Sweden secondary strikes are also allowed so dock workers around the country are refusing to unload tesla cars, cleaning staff are refusing to clean Tesla showrooms and offices, maintenance staff are refusing to do work in showrooms and on chargers and postal workers are refusing to deliver mail to Tesla buildings.

All so Musk can pay his mechanics a below the market rate wage as well as lower pensions and benefits across the board vs other mechanics in Sweden.

FFS, he is just evil.

When I saw articles about counties trialling hyperloops and other trains in the vain of the Springfield Monorail, a few years ago. I just shook my head. Proven high speed rail has existed since the 60’s. Loads of different, efficient urban mass transit solutions to pick from. We don’t need to re-invent the wheel here and waste billions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Some Norwegian unions are now joining in as well.

Tesla are going to court in Sweden regarding the secondary strikes but like you say they are absolutely legal in Sweden so the courts there will give them short shrift.

Same here when he tried to fire the Irish Twitter staff with no notice and change their employment contracts with his ‘reply or else’ email.

The Government and High Court told him what was what pretty quickly. He didn’t dare tweet-libel anyone here either, our draconian libel, for once, doing some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

• Advertisement

Well there it is, he's admitting the company is fvcked under his leadership

Advertisement