Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCEP Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah lads. My cows have dropped big time. Some gone from 4 to 2 stars. Has this to do with cow weights or what? I wouldn't mind, but my cows were bred to be maternal in the first place. The worst animal I have here, a heifer, is now my best according to ICBF. I give up.

I see they've added a TB contribution now and seem to have gone heavy on docility too.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Looking at LM bulls, serious cut in replacement on a good few bulls in my tank. Cerberus 1 star replacement now! Ampertine Magnum 4 star to 2 Star. I've used these bulls for spring 24 so I'll already breeding 3 star heifers where they would have been 5 when I used them.

Ridiculous changes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I can't complain, my best cow has gone over 200 points. Bull I bought this summer went up 17 points. Had a BA bull that was bought as a terminal sire and I kept a few of his daughters after a tb outbreak, he dropped from -42 to -73, can't argue with that. Looks to me that strong maternal traits have gone up and bad ones have got worse. I wouldn't like to be a pedigree breeder.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Diarmuid B

I’m in the same boat. Predominantly shx six and aax cross animals here and all bar 2 went up in points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

is there an easy way to see the changes on each animal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ladeeen

click into individual animal and then click Evaluation History

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a Madison heifer who is + for milk, - on daughter calving interval and low on calving difficulty (which is what I’m looking for) dropped from €93 to €38

LM2117 is gone from 4 to 3 for terminal (already a 1 star for replacement)…. 70 percent my cows in calf to him….lovely….that’s the end of him. Nice calves, very vigour which I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Looking at bulls that have gone down, some seem to be dragged down with this new TB index.

• Advertisement

Has anyone figured the new indexes out? I found the following from the link below but can't find how the € values are calculated.

They keep changing the goalposts. For example, Cow fertility made up 19% of the overall Replacement index before, now it's 15%

TB only makes up 2%.

PowerPoint Presentation (icbf.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Had a good bit of a look through at the profiles on ICBF, on my herd salers and limos have taken a hit, I had on old cow drop €78, aubracs have taken a good rise

One thing I have spotted and wondering has anyone else have similar, docility figures seem to be driving a lot of the change. I'm spotting the few with a higher negative docility rating have dropped like a stone, the ones with a high positive docility figures have risen sharply. I would be interested to see if others have experienced the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I reckon you’re right. CWI a bull with 98% reliability has fallen from 123 to 93 to a 3 star He would have poor docility

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks patsy, link here for anyone who wants more bedtime stories PowerPoint Presentation (icbf.com)

AA and Hereford have done well too, I suppose MEQ is starting to count. Not sure how they worked out the whole carbon section. I suppose earlier calving and quicker finishing is reflected.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I see it’s noted that data given to bulls come from all progeny finished (in Ireland). Which is what I’ve been thinking for a while. Sires to top quality weanings exported are not getting a true evaluation

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

We kept heifers of a AI limousin Bull few years back. Stars stars stars. Worst cows we ever kept. Didn't join the scep scheme. Went back to basics. Good stock bull and not ever looking at stars again. My father said its a sad day if you have to look at a report and count stars to know which is your best animal. The farmer knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I second that, I've a lovely cow here, kept as I've all red and she came white off lgl, teaasc were around one day and told me not to keep her, I did as I said I'd chance her, top cow for breeding calves, massive weights off grass, going back a few years ago I went to look at a 5 star pb lm in calf heiffer and he had two he said other is 1 star she no good to u , I said I'd try her, tbh she a better cow than the 5 star ,

From looking at my small herd, it looks like all my best big (750kg+) cows have gotten cut. All my smaller cows 600-700 range have moved up. There must be a big weigh on the "carbon" stat. Nearly all of my best cows have taken a drop where these all would have a calf at 1.5kg/day+ and my best prices when i sell. I don't think docility has impacted as much as Knell has low figures but he's jumped up in the new Stars. Its actually highlighting which are my best cows more if i invert the stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

All my stars gone up, many animals jumped a star in the process. Bulls I own all way up passed 5 star now. A few years ago my herd was an example of what they didn't want. Makes no sense but I'll take it.

There are few AI Limousin bulls from the big companies that are suitable for replacements. They are all mostly terminal with milk and fertility figures way into the minus. Compared to the selection of bulls in the UK we really don't have good selection of most AI bulls.

New replacement index where they have lowered the importance of fertility, milk, calving ability and docility. There you go lads, disregard these 4 things next time you pick out replacement heifers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

How do we know what Sire to use now ?

I presume that the AI brochure that I use is obsolete now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Icbf should actually be disbanded for their carry on at this stage. Moving the goalposts again after farmers signing up to a five year scheme. There really is no sense to what they do, I try my best to record all the surveys and weights and everything accurately and its like it's completely disregarded. I sold heifers that were 3 star that are now 5 stars and the ones I kept that are 5 star are gone to 3 star and 10 year old cows that have had a calf every year since a 2yo and reared them and sold them for decent money gone from 5 star to 2 star. Useless cows that are not doing the business after getting a big jump then. Whoever came up with the formula for how it's all calculated would want to go back to school for a while.

I had to reweigh all my cattle today in the presence of a Dept Guy. I was afraid the cows would go nuts with a stranger about, but it went ok. Anyone else have to do this?

I was told the reason was an administration error from 2022, I've no idea what this is.

At least I had them all weighed right the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭anthony500_1

My worst nightmare........ They seem to be doing a lot more checks for some reason, your not the first I've heard saying simmular. Was he/she at least a normal enough sorta type or did he just stand like a robot totting in numbers into his ipad?

How could reweighing now sold an error in 2022? It would be different cows and calves you have now?

Have you your own scales?

I know you have pedigree stock so did you have some massive weights for calves that statiscally might flag as an outlier and get them suspicious?

He was sound, to be fair. A major pain doing it, as I had to drive 20 miles to pick up the scales and the same to drop it off. One of those day where you wonder, is farming worth it at all.

If anything my weights are well back this year. Noting special there.

Was it part of SCEP? Or just an inspection. They check much else?

I wouldn't like to be forcing cows up on scales this time of year. Be a pure pain. I've weighed 3 times this year so if they rang me to do it they'd get an ear full.

• Advertisement

Looking at the 2024 calving section where they estimate date and replacement and terminal value. I've gone from all 5 star replacements calves to 4x 3stars now with the change. I've only a small herd so if they are all heifers, Ill be fairly caught out as I breed my own replacements when I can. Nearly all the bulls I've used for AI have dropped too.

Advertisement