Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You don't say, though this comment has come back to bite you. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Richard Dunne said that penalty for Man United was a ridiculous decision. He's right. And McCarthy called it a "disgraceful decision". And they said the penalty for Copenhagen was the correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Copenhagen score

Robbie Savage '' I think United can score more goals

Copenhagen Score again

Copenhagen Score again

Copenhagen Score again

I dunno if was trying to be funny, or if he's just stupid .

Which one? There's been so many and we're only in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Like a throw back to the bad old days of this forum in here.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Wouldn’t be surprised if they qualify. Each of the 3 of them are capable of beating each other and Bayern won’t have any motivation in final game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oh he is stupid, very very stupid. Like pretty much everyone else on BT/TNT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bayern have top spot confirmed now so they could field any team they like in the remaining two games.

The next round of games might actually be the important one because of this, especially for Galatasaray & Man Utd. A win for either side has big repercussions for the loser.

Its only one straggling meme left at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That interview with Ten Hag was something. Talk about delusional. He thought so many of the decisions wrongly went against them, not just in this match, but all season so far.

He always has an excuse. He's been found out again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sligeach (who I thought was a Utd for some reason) might take it a little too far but to be fair there’s nothing too much to the comments.

Feels like you can’t say anything that could in any way be seen as a slight on utd and this kind of comment comes out referencing the bad old days (when the forum have actual traffic and posters commenting ).

Utd are really poor so far this season, just suck it up and stop trying to shut down any commentary that could be interpreted as being negative towards your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Exactly,everyone knows Sligeach's posting style at this stage,honestly don't know why some posters take issue with it. If you don't like it then use the ignore button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The bad old days when the place was actually busy?

°°°°°

So he takes it too far but we should just allow it because it's United he's slagging off?

Banter is fine, posting relentlessly just to gloat about a side you don't like conceding a goal or having a decision go against them in the middle of a game is just petty.

If you want to whinge about United go for it, says more about you than anyone else.

If you think the old days of constant abuse were better I'd have to assume you're in the minority.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Busy with clowns abusing each other?

Ah yes those halcyon days of constant infractions and bans.

At least the forum is readable now.

Glazers Out!

Easy to read a quiet forum alright, you can catch up in 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

My two cents is that a good forum should be about debate with the ability to give it back and forth but it's done in a respectful manner. Yes I get things can get heated but what's the point in trying to wind someone up for the sake of it.

I'm a United fan, I will always revel when teams I dislike lose, draw, put in bad performances, etc. I understand tribalism but I really don't understand the point in gloating or being petty to the point where it's embarrassing. The poster IMO cares more about Man United than the club they follow (I assume it's Liverpool based off other posts?) and is out to antagonise yet posters are told to 'suck it up' cause their team is shyte.

Completely agree that United are shyte and I'm more than capable/willing to take banter, WhatsApp groups are full of it.

I like to be as impartial as possible when it comes to games not involving my own team, give my opinion and try to see other points of views even if they have rose tinted glasses on. It's football, I get it. It's when posters try to bring others down to their level and then a forum becomes unreadable and it becomes a slagging match between children that annoys me. There is no talking to some posters because of their hatred of other clubs. It's sad and that's not a forum.

The fantasy football forum is great for that albeit will less football chat these days. Yes we have allegiances but there's none of the shyte that the soccer forum has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Better to have a good conversation with a small few people that a sht one with loads.

The Champions League thread is usually good because it has people who are interested in soccer and not just the childish "my team" clowns.

That is bar one space cadet and one WUM.

Like the forum is dying, that is patently obvious. I appreciate the trajectory of the site as a whole is downwards, but the soccer forum is a small closed enclave non searchable on the main site with very limited cross supporter interaction and a hugely declining annual post count.

An ever diminishing bunch of aul lads who have learned to survive the rules and mostly talk in their own fan thread is just sad, compared to how vibrant the place used to be. It once successfully towed a fine line between banter and discussion while offering something totally unique in the domain: cross supporter interaction.

When those posts by sligeach, which are so so tame, are singled out it’s just symbolic of it now being a place reserved for touchy aul lads who want to be protected from everything. It’s just sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Rashfords was a stone wall red card. Not sure how people can think otherwise. The notion that you can put in a leg breaking challenge and use the excuse of "oh but I didn't see him" is comical. Maguire handling the ball and then getting a penalty for him team was comical as well. Still, unlike in other situations justice was done in the end and the right team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Its possible all the VAR calls were correct but. if they were, the rules must change. The handballs were a joke. We should go back to frees only for deliberate playing of the ball with your hand. Play on for accidental hand balls as we used to do back in the day.

I'm no Utd fan but Rashford's red was harsh as was Maeda's the night before. Its a contact game. My goodness, players like Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Ron Harris and Nobby Stiles wouldn't last two minutes today.

While I'm at it, change offside to being only when there is a clear gap between the forward and the last defender (assumming the keeper is in front of the forward).

Or, perhaps better, ditch VAR except for clear matters of fact and have refs who can read a game.

°°°°°

If somebody can't get through a day or even a few minutes without needing to rub it in against a club they don't like their opinions aren't something worth reading.

Some people have an unhealthy interest in rival clubs, I had better things to do the other day than come on here and **** post about Liverpool being a goal down against Luton but there's always comments about what's going on in any given United game.

Go on twitter and vent that crap if you need to, I'll take this version of the forum over the previous version with people flinging handfuls of their own excrement at each other.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Theoretically Liverpool.

But essentially a redux of "AndersonisGod" proportions concerning United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Liverpool fans on this forum talking about not shutting down conversations just because others don't like it is extremely rich. The forum lost many good posters because of conversations some of that fanbase didn't like. But hey we'll just suck it up and put up with it cos LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It's a very small number of posters at it, not an entire fanbase. There are still a few Utd fans on here biding their time until the next time Liverpool go through a bad patch or fail to win something. Plenty showed up giving it loads when City beat us to the title on the last day of the season 2 years ago. It happens. Though nothing will ever eclipse the carry on here when Real beat us in the Champion's League final in I think the 17 / 18 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorry a few days later here. Where did I say I wanted to whinge about Utd? It’s not something I usually do and won’t be starting.

My point was, that you can’t say anything remotely negative about Utd and people get all worked up about but you didn't want to see that, you wanted to get worked up about a perceived attack on Utd.

I won’t be making anymore comments about this, if any mod is worried it will derail the thread.

also apologies for the late response. I was too busy wallowing in the midweek misery of being a Liverpool fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Maybe someone should go set up a new forum.

Oh wait, someone tried that and failed miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 5

Tuesday 28th November

17:45 Kick-offs

Group E

S.S. Lazio (ITA) V Celtic FC (SCO) - Live on TNT Sports 1

Group H

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Royal Antwerp FC (BEL) - Live on TNT Sports 3

20:00 Kick-offs

Group E

Feyenoord (NED) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 6

Group F

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Newcastle United (ENG) - Live on RTE Two / TNT Sports 2

AC Milan (ITA) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 3

Group G

Manchester City FC (ENG) V RB Leipzig (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 1

BSC Young Boys (SUI) V FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Group H

FC Barcelona (ESP) V FC Porto (POR) - Live on TNT Sports 4

Wednesday 29th November

17:45 Kick-offs

Group A

Galatasaray A.Ş. (TUR) V Manchester United FC (ENG) - Live on Virgin Media Two / TNT Sports 1

Group B

Sevilla FC (ESP) V PSV Eindhoven (NED) - Live on TNT Sports 3

20:00 Kick-offs

Group A

FC Bayern München (GER) V FC Copenhagen (DEN) - Live on TNT Sports 4

Group B

Arsenal FC (ENG) V RC Lens (FRA) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Group C

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V SSC Napoli (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 3

SC Braga (POR) V 1. FC Union Berlin (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Group D

SL Benfica (POR) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 6

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) V FC Salzburg (AUT) - Live on TNT Sports 8

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

A great prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Livermento will not be at Newcastle long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

unbelievable. and only got in cos dan byrne was injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With money not being an issue, I don't think they'll be letting anyone go they don't want to let go. If anyone wants one of the players they want to keep, i'd say the figures needed would be huge.

Elsewhere, some performance from Openda so far for Leipzig! Looks unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

PSG are so poor. A poor goalkeeper and a group of individuals with pace and little else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm sure he will. They just spent decent money on him and Trippier is pretty old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Only after turning on the PSG - Newc game now. Thought that should have been a PSG penalty myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Amazed it wasn't, especially in the CL where the tend to award the softer decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

PSG having their annual CL meltdown. This will turn very nasty last 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This Polish ref is dodgy

Ref has been very good in this Paris-Newcastle game

It was a penalty. Then he stops the game quickly but then the check backs up his wrong decision. Looks like a control freak but barely in control of proceedings.

It would have been an extremely soft penalty. Certainly not clear and obvious error. Don’t know why he was told to stop the game, but clearly the VAR told him to. PSG only have themselves to blame with all the chances they’ve missed.

Newcastle are a horrible team. All the money they have and they send out teams to park the bus Mourinho style from 20 years ago.

It wasn't a penalty, he stops for VAR who confirm it. Ref has been very strong, taking no nonsense from either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement

Well regardless, VAR didn’t overturn the call as you couldn’t say for definite it was a penalty.

Advertisement