Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It was a penalty. It should have been a penalty. Both got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That’s a penalty

Edit; nope, that’s very harsh, deflected onto his arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Big pressure to give a penalty now again. Need to see a replay of it myself

Edit: think that one is a bit harsh as it rebounds off of his side first. But they should have had their earlier one IMO so they kinda balance off, within the game.

Ego maniac this ref but when push comes to shove a yes man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

That shouldn’t be a penalty.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's not a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Farcical

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It shouldn't be a penalty, but don't UEFA rules basically say its it hits the hand its a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭mobydopy

That’s a scandalous penalty decision wtf

• Advertisement

Ah it wouldn't be given as a foul outside the box either. It was a player falling over at the slightest contact, ironically from another player who does the same.

It's the very type of thing that we should be applauding refs for not awarding. A 50/50 shouldn't reward a player who kicks it away and falls over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Incredibly harsh penalty call for PSG - off someone's chest and onto their arm from half a foot away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

That should never be a peno. Hate these shite handball calls.

Yeah they basically just give everything as handball in Europe, not matter the scenario. It's bad but consistent I guess.

The Uefa handball rule is different to the PL handball rule?

I don't like either, but they barely have a first team at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

If the final 2 games go to form, Newcastle will go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Terrible decision but two horrible, moaney, whingebag teams so probably a fair result that neither of them won

Well do you know what I dont disagree. Funny thing is they give penalties for less than that these days.

Going by recent and current decisions, that earlier PSG one was a penalty but the second one wasn’t.

Maybe they were trying to balance things out and managed to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Depends on whether either Milan or Newcastle can get their crazy injury lists sorted. A full strength Milan should beat this Newcastle for instance.

Dortmund are also through so that could fuk both of the above and make it a battle for the Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ref and VAR rightly said no to the previous two peno shouts.

I can't believe they then gave that as handball. Never a pen, not in a 100 years. Was praising the ref for standing up to the PSG shite all game and then he bottled it at the Var screen .

Dortmund are through so I’d expect PSG to get second. Also Milan are no mugs.

Where’s that Milan expert guy that’s on here that was calling Inter Milan pygmies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

UEFA introduced some guidelines in an attempt to introduce more consistency to its implementation. These include recommendations that handball should not be called if the ball has deflected off another part of a player's body. 

Pity they don't read their own stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Surely Newcastle had some options to bring on in midfiled, Joelington and others were woefull at the end - once again VAR ruining football

Nope. The earlier shout with Gordon (not the earlier hand ball one) was a penalty. Amazing that they didn’t give that but VAR and refs don’t like disagreeing unless they really have to.

They then compensated later on with second handball one that wasn’t actually a penalty. Sometimes two wrongs make a right type thing.

Just seen the penalty Milan were given for handball, what the actual ****!! His arm was by his side, turned side on and the ball kicked at his arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

People don’t get that you have to write the rule in a rule book and if you write it so a handball after it deflects off another part of the body doesn’t count as a handball then….you give players a loophole that they can use their hand deliberately.

people never think that all rules have to be written down and the handball rule is a hard thing to write

BT’s ignorance of the actual rules of football is amazing to behold. Even when they are told the rules they immediately disregard, forget or misunderstand them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is an angle where it shows his arm clearly stretched out.

• Advertisement

Don't agree the Gordon challenge was a penalty.

Nor did the multiple refs who looked at it tbf.

You'd need to have a seriously lucky deflection to be able to use that as an excuse thougj

The same multiple refs that gave the handball penalty at the end to “even things up” type thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Respect the referees, lads.

Is that not what everyone is told when it happens to their team?

Just suck it up. You win some, you lose some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I thought the Dembele booking was funny. He was clearly booked for booting the ball away after the whistle but McCoist kept going on about it being a harsh yellow for the tackle - like could someone not tell him in his ear-piece what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ally "ill tell you what" McCoist is as thick as pig sh1t, stealing a living with his analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its pretty obvious the PSG project is over now that world cup has happened in Qatar, they have no use for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I agree. It was never a penalty. VAR is not improving things at all. Thats three pens awarded this week that were incorrect (and I don't follow any of the teams involved). Last night (ball went on to his arm off his body), Fulham v Wolves (tackler played the ball), Utd v Everton (Young never moved his foot but Martial ensured he went over it). They should not use slow motion replays or stills - actions can only be judged in real time. Tackling is being outlawed. For the Newcastle goal, the PSG players were afraid to tackle in the box - that's ruining the game..

What I’m saying is I’d like to know how the PL writes the rules so that you it isn’t legal to deliberately handle it after a deflection off another part of the players body.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Either you are on the wind or you're an idiot.

In the Premier League we have scored the second most goals and only City have a better goal difference.

Imagine parking the bus when you have the lead in a huge game away to PSG. Bear in mind also that our bench consisted of 2 goalkeepers, a 4th choice left back and 5 players no older than 18. AND we had to start with a 17 year old in the heart of our midfield.

A superb performance from all out there. Absolute daylight robbery for that to be awarded as a penalty in the 98th minute. Sickening that it changes the whole group with our destiny now not in our hands because of pure negligence on the part of VAR and the referee.

a ridiculous law, but that is pretty much always a penalty in Europe I'm afraid. it's silly, but that's how it's been for a while now.

also, it was not an unbelievable performance by Newcastle. that analysis is purely based on the result, and how late the equaliser was. Newcastle were barely holding on, and they were holding on because of a couple of incredible Pope saves, plus an incomprehensible amount of wastefulness from PSG.

if PSG had anything like their clinical boots on, that was a 4-1 game. the fact it wasn't was due to their profligacy, and a bit of dumb luck. to pretend otherwise is a bit disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ah well. Newcastle got the benefit of a dodgy ref decision against Arsenal in the PL a while back and these things tend to even themselves out over the season, as seen last night.

Depending on which model you use, PSG had between 4.47 and 4.82 xG. So let's split that and say 4.5 xG. Take away the penalty (0.76 in most models) and you have 3.75 xG. PSG should have scored close to 4 goals, save for bad finishing / some big saves by Pope.

FWIW Newcastle's xG was between 1.29 & 1.57.

4-1 sounds fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Will we just start an xG league then and hand out points based onit. Forget about actual goals.

Nonsense stat.

xG is nonsense, but we also have eyes.

Take the penalty controversy away, Newcastle were battered. They still didn't deserve to lose that way, but I'm just countering the notion that they were brilliant, as I've seen said all over the place today. that analysis is a classic case of looking at the scoreline, and the nature of PSG's equaliser, and just concluding that Newcastle must've been amazing.

they weren't. and i'm not saying it's even their fault - injuries are ravaging them.

The VAR official from the game has been stood down.

It's somewhat comforting that they agree it wasn't a penalty in retrospect but not much use to Newcastle.

Not sure why the ref gets away from bottling it on front of the screen.

Thought Newcastle were excellent tbh.

Obviously they didn't run the show but they were incredibly composed and thought PSG barely played a ove until the last 10

ha a Newcastle fan, did I offend you? I don’t watch them much, any time I do watch them I find them boring as hell. It would have been daylight robbery if they got all 3 points although PSG really only had themselves to blame for the plethora of chances they missed. That sub Barcola how many sitters did he need.

Was he stood down for not giving the earlier penalty that Gordon was responsible for perhaps? It was weird the way that happened, they seemed to tell the ref to stall the game but then immediately told him to get on with it. Strange one.

Well I disagree with the young one. I can see it was or wasn't a penalty. He didn't make an attempt to tackle properly and he intended on blocking the player. Because he stuck his arms up and made a cursory effort to look like he wasn't tackling doesn't make it not a foul.

I didn't see the wolves one, but I also don't believe tackler gets the ball means it's not a foulm sometimes tackler gets the ball but it's still definitely a foul.

Psg for all their possession and shots had 7 on target, one of which was a penalty. They were not particularly good and had mostly half or speculative chances at best, and this was because Newcastle were incredibly well organised and they could have had a second themselves.

You can be excellent without playing swashbuckling attacking football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement