Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Maybe not exactly but similar... it was posted completely axxways and was attributed it to a different politician from another party .

Just to set that record straight and correct any misinformation...

( btw love the quote about MMcG below this ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just to be clear it's our politicians I'm calling far left on immigration as there is no debate about the subject.

Government and opposition are all championing the continuation of current policy. That's quite an unusual situation in politics.

It's the one subject not being debated. It's quite scary imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Particularly when the vast majority of Irish emigrants left to try and find work elsewhere in the world and not be a burden to their new country (because you don’t leave Ireland to get better social welfare elsewhere), whereas a high proportion of immigrants came here purely because of the generous social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There needs to be a serious discussion in government about where we go from here.

I'd say many in government, are not so much "championing" policy, more keeping their mouths shut in case the R word is launched in their direction. Just playing along until the issue goes away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

But you haven’t just been talking about one SBP poll…

“But opinion poll after opinion poll is saying the same thing”

For a start, there actually hasn’t been that many polls. Within those polls there has been wildly different findings Like that often trotted out “75% of respondents believed that Ireland was taking in too many refugees”. Yet not long after there was another poll claiming that 52% said it is important Ireland continues to accept all Ukrainians that can make it here. Why should I believe one of those polls over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ireland losing its 12.5% tax rate n growing issue getting staff to relocate here with expensive/ non existent rentals is taking the shine off Ireland for MNCs. It's looking increasingly likely our corporation tax Klondike is drying up.

We're just adding up billions and billions that'll have to be found for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Grand. You don't believe the majority believe we've taken enough refugees.

It does seem baffling to me but that's you're right to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

This I fear could be our logical conclusion, same as several other EU states I.e. Holland, Italy, Poland etc.

We have a government of cowardice on the issue of immigration. The lack of healthy debate on the topic is leading to extremist fringe groups controlling the narrative. You're either anti immigration (far right) or pro unrestricted immigration (far left), the middle ground is being lost. As a self confessed centrist I worry how this may shape the future of society in Ireland. Centrism and moderate policies have gotten us a long way but the lack of political will to engage with a strong public sentiment on immigration could be ruinous.

My 2 cents on the issue. Immigration in general is positive. Diversity generally is a strength. However we have a government regulating immigration in the 2020s like the government of the 2000s regulated the financial sector. We all know how this story goes. The lack of reasonable immigration controls is causing problems. We have people tearing up travel documents so they won't be sent home, people with serious criminal records being allowed in and re-offending and people abusing the social welfare system. All of which is being done by native Irish but that's not the issue, don't import problems that you're not resourced to handle.

There are 2 types of immigrants in my mind:

1. Asylum seekers seeking refugee status due to conflict, famine, environmental disasters etc.

2. Economic migrants. Here to gain a better quality of life for themselves. Many do so via gainful employment, but a non-insignificant number are abusing social welfare to do so.

We need a regulated workable system that deals with both categories within the capability and resources of the State.

And yes, mismanagement of the state's resources is partly to blame. We're chronically short on housing, health care and public transport. But the solution is not to pour fuel on those fires. A temporary restriction / ban is required in my opinion on certain types of immigration until such time as the state's resources can handle increased levels. And also long term regulations and policies are needed to maintain equilibrium between the provision of services and population growth, irrespective if that's via immigration or natural growth.

There's a reluctance for government to propose such regulations due to the fear of being labelled racist. We stood up to international pressure around Israel's retribution attacks on Hamas/Palestine which was laudable. Time to find that backbone again and be willing to regulate immigration. The alternative is the rise of extreme politics in our state and more riots like last Thursday, or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I agree, but there is no serious discussions taking place about why thousands of male migrants are being placed all over Ireland. I mean why are they here? What's the end game? To pay our pensions or some other sound bite like that? Well PRSI is being raised over the next 5 years to pay for our pensions (sic), so it's obviously not that. It's quite hard to believe that not one politician or public representative has answered the question, 'Why'?

The only real argument has been touted, other then the pensions spiel, is that these migrants will fill low paying jobs. If that was true then why not allow female migrants to come here on mass also to fill nursing or carer roles that are so badly need. They aren't qualified? Well I doubt the 25k+ men that have arrived here cap in hand have much qualifications either, or they would have came here the legal route and applied for a work visa.

The whole situation is a disaster waiting to happen and the horrific events on Thursday were probably the tip of the iceberg unfortunately. The question of 'Why are they here, what's the bigger picture' still hasn't been answered, even after these events that have sparked some much debate and discussion. Its actually been the opposite, with the media doubling down with their 'anti-immigrant/rightwing' rhetoric and the government have followed suit by fast tracking hate speech laws to silence anyone apposed to their disastrous ideologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TokTik

Third line…….it is not registered as a political party. That’s some in-depth research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I just don’t take these polls that seriously, even the ones that have findings I would agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well what's your view then. It seems obvious to me that support for housing refugees has dropped since February 2022.

The State has taken 100,000 Ukrainian refugees so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I know...I was jokingly suggesting a new 'immigration-critical' party might give themselves of the first, completely failed, attempt to bring such politics into the mainstream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TokTik

It will eventually happen. Ireland is a good bit behind Europe, but as was said 10 years ago about us having the same issues as other EU countries with uncontrolled immigration are now here. We were told it would never happen here because we were getting “doctors and engineers”, well it’s happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A "soft" way of discouraging purely economic (non conflict zone) migrants without any skills we actually want is removing incentives. Pare back benefits to the EU norm or average.

Rip up your passport? I dare say I'd get booted back on the first plane out of any country if I tried the passport ripping up stunt. They'd go through camera footage and find out what flight I got in from.

I know the plethora of quangoes/NGOs will go nuts but fk em.

As an engineer in a large MNC myself, the main issue with hiring from within Ireland or elsewhere is people have nowhere to live. You're hoping to poach someone from across town and pass the problem off to that company instead. We've had to limit taking in students from abroad for internships too because there's nowhere for them to rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What your issue with men?

And We do have plenty of female refugees here.

Refugees are generally accepted from a refugee program, where Irish authorities interview, photograph and interview them. Ukrainian refugees exempt.

Asylum seekers are people fleeing something, they are looking for refugee status. In general, when people are fleeing, the men go first, as they are stronger and alone, with no one to hold them back. Once they are safe, they send for their families. This has been explained millions of times, people just don't want to hear it.

So again, what is your issue with men?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Any 'economic' migrant will not be granted asylum....that's the whole point of the asylum process, to investigate their claim. People from Albania are seeing something like a 95% refusal rate by immigration authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

And what happens then? Are they left to "self deport" with no follow up or do they appeal ( on the taxpayers dime) and drag it out for years .

I think what most are asking for are limits to immigration and more stringent regulation of immigration. If we don't have the social services to support the native population and immigrants already accepted then why do we continue to accept more? And then house them in villages of tents? It doesn't make much sense to me.

We can take a double ended approach to the problem, decrease the acceptance rate of immigrants and increase the provision of necessary social services.

It's plain to see that if we continue to grow the population at a rate faster than we can provide social services for the population then the general standard of living will decline. Or worse, more lawlessness like last week will ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I agree that aspect is definitely that needs to be looked at....perhaps the authorities are a bit lax on following up what happens after the claim is refused.

But nonetheless, talk of 'economic migrants' is glossing over the fact that if they are an actual economic migrant, then they have little or no chance of being granted asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They don't need to be granted asylum just hang on long enough to secure residence status, we've seen multiple times previously people with Deportation orders stay here and eventually gain citizenship which is no government is then willing to either strip or deport for committing serious crimes,

They need to seriously get tough before it's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

We should have a poll on how useless and out of her depth poor Helen "I haven't got a clue wtf I'm doing, is that a far right person over there? no its a dustbin lid Helen!" McEntee is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This poll/survey? -

The survey questionnaire was designed by IPSOS in conjunction with several Government departments and representatives from different civil society groups. These include Pavee Point, NDA, AsIam, Independent Living Movement, the Irish deaf society, National Platform of Self Advocates; Voice of Vision, Physical Impairment Ireland, Disabled Women Ireland; BelongTo, INAR, MRCI and the ESRI. In addition, several civil society groups were shown the survey and asked for feedback.

The poll will inform Equality Strategies and point us in the direction of where more work is required to combat prejudice against different groups

Worth saying this again about the Govt commissioned poll/survey -

The survey questionnaire was designed by IPSOS in conjunction with several Government departments and representatives from different civil society groups.

NGOs basically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

NGOs and influence on government policy really deserves its own thread as it is one of the main factors affecting people's lives now and impacting what those in ivory towers deem unacceptable in society, regardless of the impact on that society.

Lots of money changing hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Where did I say that I had an issue with men?

The majority of international protection applicants are single males, not just in Ireland but all over Europe. In fact the EU Agency for Asylum stated that male applicants last year accounted for 71% of asylum claims. This prompted the Belgian government to proclaim that they would no longer provide shelter for single men seeking asylum, arguing that families, women and children should be prioritised.

So again, where did I say that I had an issue with men?

• Advertisement

Sure we have immigration controls in this country.

It's a good thing to disperse the refugee population around the country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement