Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And that's exactly why he's even a remote possibility for Ireland. Every single one of these older managers linked with the job have had some absolutely turgid putrid performances with clubs. If they hadn't, they'd not be within a million miles of Ireland. He's well past the peak of his powers, but I'd have him in a second over lads like Hughton or Warnock or Bruce.

But as I said, I'd personally rather go the other promising-but-unproven route with someone like McKenna if that was at all possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I see your point. But he made me hate watching Everton. Can’t forgive him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

Rafa's not the only manager to nearly get Everton relegated in recent years.

He is too divisive a figure for the Ireland job IMO and after the last couple of years of the fanbase (online at least) being split on Kenny that's really not what we need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

What has McKenna done to deserve the job. He was a coach during a disastrous spell at United.

To be honest, I think McKenna has actually done too much - I think he's probably out of our league now. And it's ridiculously harsh to be putting blame on an assistant coach for what happened under Mourinho at a basket case United.

He's got loads of experience developing youth players at Spurs and Man Utd, and has gone on to do brilliant stuff with Ipswich, dragging them up to promotion contention in League One in his first season, before comfortably being automatically promoted in his second to the Championship, going 19 games unbeaten in a row in the process. And now he's somehow got them pushing hard for automatic promotion to the Premiership, sitting comfortably in second place. We'd be really lucky to get him at this stage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

He won League One in his first senior job with Ipswich and they are currently second in the Championship. There is zero chance he is taking it anyway. Any young coach within a mile of the PL won't be giving up that opportunity to manage Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,298 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rafa is having a poor season with Celta, he'll probably be free for work in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I don't know who the next Ireland manager will be but I can guarantee one thing, they won't be getting bought of a contract. So you can rule out anyone that's employed currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’d bite your hand off for Rafa based on the current names going around.

Every older manager linked with the Ireland job will have a chunk of club football that can be criticised but he’s the most successful out of all the other names. They loved him at Newcastle too.

Honestly don’t think it’s a realistic option but he’d be miles ahead of Lennon, Bruce, Allardyce, Keane etc.

This is what makes me think it'll probably be Lennon. Available, and has already said he wants it, while knowing the financial problems at the FAI. I've a feeling they'll just go the 'path of least resistance, and least cost'.

I'm glad he's interested though, he sets the bar at a level that's at least reasonably respectable. But I hope they still do their due diligence and see if they can do better (which I've my doubts they will).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Or weeks. He won’t probably be the next manager but lads who just will never get the job like keane are way ahead in the betting.

He’s a pretty horrible man judging by his touch line demeanor at Celtic. Maybe he’s mellowed. I’m not sure the fai want him as a major symbol of the team though.

its carsleys if he wants it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Here is the list of names on the PP website for next Permanent Ireland manager. Polls aren't possible within a post, so why not tell us who YOUR 5 names from this list would be?

Next Permanent Republic of Ireland Manager

Lee Carsley

Roy Keane

Neil Lennon

Chris Hughton

Steve Bruce

Sam Allardyce

Robbie Keane

Gus Poyet

Jim Crawford

Anthony Barry

Rafa Benitez

Ralph Hasenhuttl

Tony Pulis

Willy Sagnol

John Eustace

Chris Coleman

Brian Barry-Murphy

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Chris Wilder

Dean Smith

Franck Haise

Neil Warnock

Scott Parker

Keith Andrews

Mick McCarthy

Michael O'Neill

Damien Duff

Mark Kennedy

John O'Shea

Herve Renard

Sean Dyche

Stephen Bradley

Graham Potter

Kieran McKenna

David Moyes

Frank Lampard

Phil Brown

Jose Mourinho

Phil Neville

Shay Given

Antonio Conte

Emma Hayes

I'll go first - whittled it down to the below, basing it on who I think are realistic targets firstly, and then who of the realistic targets I would like to see in the shortlist.... in no particular order...

Lee Carsley

Ralph Hasenhuttl

John Eustace

Chris Wilder

Damien Duff

I'd love Hassenhuttl, but I'd say we've no chance with him. Think the only reason he's not in a job is that he doesn't want to be - at worst he's a top half championship level manager, and could well get a Prem job if he was interested. But he's long talked about wanting to retire by 2024. That gives us some little chance of coaxing him out for the part time aspect of international management, but i'd say if he wanted an international job he'd be looking higher than us - could maybe see him take over his own Austria after Ragnick leaves post-Euros.

What's the craic with Eustace actually, any word on what was really behind his sacking at Birmingham, since he was doing alright? They've since plummeted under Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tom Brady wanted a big name manager is basically why.

Oof, not looking a great call now... from 6th down to 16th in less than 2 months since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

If we went from having Stephen Kenny as manager to Rafa Benitez as manager and people still weren’t happy then I am not sure what to say.

He is levels above Kenny, and probably completely unobtainable but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TokTik

Pretty much anyone would be levels about Kenny. Benitez, in my eyes, would be the same as Bruce, Keane etc in that football has passed them by. Benitez seems to get a bye because he’s foreign.

• Advertisement

Ah christ, there are levels like. He's not what he was, but he's still tactically head and shoulders above Bruce and Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I could be wrong but I wouldn’t fancy Rafa at this stage of his career. Rafa would be at least 2m a year for a part time gig. Nice work for your semi retirement. Who’s going to pay his salary?

The personal motivation of the manager is also a factor. So someone like Carsley although he’s not that young would have something to prove and might even see Ireland as a stepping stone to other jobs. Lennon would be motivated to repair his reputation. Keane would see it as a last chance to do something real in the game bar sitting in a Tv studio talking about others doing it.

I don’t think Rafa would have a personal investment in it. He’d just come in, say the players are no good and take the money with him.

If Rafa wants 2 million then forget it. He might like it as a less intense gig close to his home in Liverpool where his family lives. He gets sacked by Celta, can accept 500k a year then we should sell him on the job. I personally don’t think it’s as bad of a job as some do.

but I don’t expect him to get it, I don’t expect him to be offered it unless carsley turns it down. I just think Rafa is a far more likely candidate than others who are near favorites for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There are very few managers in world football who have never made a mistake on a player evaluation or never been fired from a job.

Focusing in on the failures or experience gaps of candidates willing to take the Ireland job is a foolish endeavour. You can weave a strong narrative against ANY of the candidates mentioned to date.

Benitez is hugely tactical and has been successful at the highest levels of the game. He has had bad jobs, but also good jobs where players and fans regarded him very warmly. In terms of where we are today, Benitez is a manager who we could expect to come in and assess our playing pool diligently before formulating a tactical approach that plays to our strengths.

Hyper focusing on a single decision from a long career doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He'd be the most decorated manager we would have had ever surely?

Can't see it.

Think he'd tick all the boxes.

LoL at the "game has moved on posts" when you consider who is being talked about

Don't remember Steve Bruce or Roy Keane winning European and UEFA Cups and finishing in the top four of the Premier League multiple times.

We can't just tar managers with experience as 'has beens' and managers without many failures as 'exciting'. There are levels and nuance to all of this.

The thing Benitez was excellent at was winning ties in European competition. That expertise in tactical preparation for once off ties against often superior opponents is a quality we could really use. This contrasts with Keane for example, who doesn't appear particularly tactical in his thinking and would be a big knock on his candidacy.

• Advertisement

Rafa Benitez will not be the next ROI manager. Despite how much Liverpool fans want to make a case for him.

Trapp is considered to be one of the greatest managers of all time. He won it all at Juve and dominated Seria A for years in a row when it was the top league in the world. It was just a couple of decades in the past when he landed with us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He has failed at his last 3 jobs. How about that?

He was successful 15 years ago.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Most things in Irish football don’t surprise me but some occasionally still do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rafa wouldn't be a patch on Trap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I have low expectations of Ireland getting a manager that will immediately appear as a great choice. Major teams like England, France, Portugal, Spain, Croatia have managers that would not have appeared inspirational choices when they arrived.

I would rule out most up and coming club managers (outside of Ireland) that work every day with their teams and the club. People in that life are 'all in' and most would have no interest in swapping to the international game when they are in a job that is going well.

The other regular managers across Europe are people who have done well within the league of the country and take on the national team as the major job in that country or have worked in the underage structure. Will Ireland want to do that again after Kenny?

That would leave the group of those are out of work or looking to ease into a less intense role.

There’s is no chance Benitez is going to do it for €500 k a year LOL.

Who’s the 3 rd party? If there’s someone willing to do that I hope they’re smart enough to take some good advice on the best manager possible for their money.

I’d imagine it’s a man who’s played a few rounds of golf with Brucey but I don’t know who.

Honestly, would be fine with Steve Bruce. I think International Management would suit him, people like him, he's good with the media and popular with players. And he has worked with players around this level for most of his managerial career.

Clear upgrade from Kenny, and a realistic candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I don't think the name or profile of the next manager is as important as what their mandate is. Trapattoni and O'Neill were brought in to get results by any means necessary and qualify for tournaments. Stephen Kenny's possession game was a lot better to watch at times and he played lots of younger players which put bums on seats again.

There's a happy medium there somewhere but I don't trust the FAI to get anything right. Having a limited budget could be a good thing in narrowing down the options and what demands they can make of a new manager.

The mandate needs to be squarely about winning competitive games and trying to qualify for tournaments. If we make progress on same, the bums will be back on seats.

The Kenny delusion is over.

He was about 15 years ago, how’s he getting on now? Failed at Real Madrid, Newcastle, Everton, in China and at Celta.

I don’t think there’s any need to discuss Benitez’s record further until he is more in the frame for the role. Same with almost everyone apart from Carsley who’s clearly in the frame. Everyone else isn’t. They are just being linked by media with no basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

Agreed to be honest, international football isn’t really about coaching players or creating very intricate tactical set ups because you just don’t have time for either.

Its about being able to pick the right team, motivate them (I really don’t think this is an issue tbh) put a simple but effective tactical plan in place and create a good spirit around the camp.

I see no reason why Bruce couldn’t be a decent manager for us. He was a solid Premier League manager for a lot of years. I don’t think there’s a requirement for international managers to be at the cutting edge of the game tactically for the reasons outlined above so that wouldn’t be a concern for me.

If pushed I’d probably go for Carsley just for the potential of what he could be but I’d have no problem with Bruce. Get a couple of decent coaches in with him and he’d be fine in my opinion.

I thought the problem with Kenny was he was found out for in game tactics.

That was one of many problems

Kenny was very very badly found out in terms of ingame tactical adjustments against Greece and Holland. But never settled on a team; never established consistency of performance; never seemed to be maximising our strengths / minimising weaknesses.

Additionally he was poor in media appearances (although the media were as kind as they could possibly have been).

Bruce can do an awful lot better across the board here.

I think the question should really be what’s an achievable target based on the players we have and if we meet that, how do we improve in the next campaign.

Putting the target consistently at qualification = success regardless of the actual quality available to us and the minutes they get at their club team means we’ll have managers revert to the total risk averse policies we’ve seen in the past.

Qualification is the target for all international teams. That’s the whole point of qualifiers. With the current crop we should be aiming for they via Nations League or playoff.

Not really. Lower quality teams don’t expect to qualify but they do look to improve(with some noteable outliers). It’s more than a 2 year project.

If you ignore the quality available to your team and try and qualify immediately, you will most likely employ must not lose tactics, which in irelands case is play with most behind the ball.

Problem is, we would be very lucky to draw our way to a tournament, so we would have to go and beat a higher seed which we’d be totally unprepared for.

• Falling short on qualifying but bringing it down to the last round of fixtures
    • Losing a playoff
    • Winning games in the Nations League

It’s not qualification or bust right now, we are in a completely terrible position after being taken backwards as a football nation during the Kenny reign, and everyone knows this.

But it’s about winning games and getting results. We’ve had years of skirting around those core objectives and it needs to stop now.

Taken backwards in what sense? We're still in Nation's League B and we're likely 3rd seeds for next set of qualifiers. New manager will be picking up where Kenny picked up.

In the sense that our world ranking is lower, our seeding is lower, we have lost hope of being able to get near qualifying for things and our competitive results have been horrendous through four successive competitive campaigns.

You seem to uniquely think Kenny’s reign was not a disaster? How have you reached such a conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Under the long-term 9 group qualifying system, we could/would be 4th seeds. That we remain 3rd seed for the next WC is because they have increased it to 12 groups. So it's not a sign of stability.

Ditto Nations League status - the main reason we maintained B status because they increased A & B from 12 teams to 16 teams each. Our underlying trend (FIFA Ranking, UEFA co-efficient, Nations League position) has been the wrong way.

Short term (2024) target for new management should be to finish Top 2 in the Nations League Group, and pick up enough ranking points along the way to move from #29 to #24 within FIFA rankings (of UEFA countries) to place us Seed 2 for the WC draw. Not an outrageous target, we see ourselves as a long-term Top 24 UEFA country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement