Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Immigration controls? In this country, surely you're having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

One of the polls you cited was a Tonight Show live poll. So compared to that, I find your questioning of this Ipsos poll laughable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 joeymcg

Tonight show would be quite reliable I would think

I’m not questioning the reliability of the TV show,I’m questioning the reliability of a live TV poll,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What’s good about it?

More people in small communities having difficulty accessing their GP?

Good for the local hotelier maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1129/1419046-international-protection/

Very interesting statistics coming out about the extreme rise in the number of International Protection Applicants Ireland is processing. 25% of them coming from designated 'Safe Countries'. Emm Hello and Goodbye to ya! I would argue 25% should be a lot higher!

My local regional town is an utterly changed place in the last 3 years. I don't recognise the place to the town it once was. I do feel intimidated in it now.

Planning permission lodged looking for a new Islamic Cultural Centre. Emm, great!

Limited creche places, limited school places, extortionate rent, skyhigh house prices, A&E waiting times for days, no GPs taking on new patients and week long waiting times, no services for my special needs children as priority is given to new locals shall we say, special class places gone, thousands on local authority housing lists, crime rising all the time.

Ah yeah I feel totally culturally enriched!

I knew we were up sh*t creeks 5 years ago when I walked into my local national park with my family and there were 50 muslims sitting in front of me in separate groups of men, women and children. Couldn't even integrate in their own culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

At this stage, it seems a lot of it is good only to inflate a sense of moral superiority.

There is no plan, only slogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

100% write to your local TD detailing all of the above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TokTik

Ah this fairytale again. The men just leave the women in war zones/poverty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Is there any hint of a plan forthcoming from the government on this? Are they just gonna stuff every hotel in the country with refugees? If so it might be reasonable to tell people in tourism to forget about it.

In march this year the government had taken half of all beds in Donegal for refugees and I've no doubt that figure is higher now.

Where does it stop 70%? 90%?

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2023/03/30/summer-concerns-as-50-of-donegal-tourism-beds-contracted-to-state/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

100%, we literally have to take everybody from everywhere that wants free stuff, regardless of their actual circumstances because if you don't you are far right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The use of the term "Far Right" for everything involving negative comment on the current situation completely dilutes the dangers of the ACTUAL Far Right. They can then sneak in under the radar, knowing that everyone is deemed to be the same, but in fact they are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

More ridiculous nonsense about NGOs.

Have you even read beyond the first few organisations on that list ?

Do ye not know that not only are NGOs doing important public service for decades in Ireland they are not particularly well funded by the government for the work they do ?

" Lots of money changing hands " ,eh no , there isn't ! That is the root of the lie being spread here .

It would cost the Irish State multiples to do the work that those NGOs do.

Or are you saying we could do without them ?

Like .. Irish Heart Foundation , the Irish KidneyAssociation , Age Action ,Women'sAid , Mens Aid , Irish Men's Sheds , Irish Disability Federation , Irish Wheelchair Organisation , Hospice Foundation Ireland .

Ireland would not be a good place without these organisations and I doubt if anybody thinks that we can do without them .

Of course you know this ..

Or maybe you don't realise you are being used to spread misinformation ?

And before you say it again , every poster who disagrees with you guys is not on the payroll of an NGO... that's just attempting to invalidate other opinions .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a tricky one. The real 'far right' are definitely creating a lot of the talking points on social media: 'unvetted males', 'men of fighting age', 'economic migrants' etc. This stuff then gets retweeted and enters the general discourse, to the point where it all becomes a bit of a blur who is actually far right and who is merely rehashing the talking points and the buzz words.

We're seeing similar things in the UK with the likes of the Tory Party and the Daily Mail / Telegraph moving even further to the right in the last two or three years and it becomes difficult to ascertain just who is right wing, far right or extreme right....it's all something of a blur and a mishmash of right wing talking points (especially around immigration / refugees).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You have obviously never had any dealings with people living in conflicts.

Calling it a fairytale without knowing anything about fleeing conflicts or warzones, is just ignorance.

Men are more likely to be killed in conflicts then women and children.

Women and children are more likely to die whilst undertaking a dangerous journey, the majority of those drown in the Mediterranean are women and children.

If there is mandatory conscription into any military service, it is always men.

And, just fyi, the UN state that 50% of all refugees worldwide are female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TokTik

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The depressing thing about the situation is that if I want to emigrate to Canada for example I have to fulfill all sorts of requirements.Is Canada a racist country because of these requirements?

Why is Ireland and other European countries not allowed to have very strict requirements about who can and cannot enter the country, why are we not allowed to deport people immediately who enter the country illegally?

Genuine fascists tend to arise because reasonable queries like the one above are not listened to and so people are forced to vote for extremists in order to get issues fixed.Extremism arises because reasonable opinions are deemed unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

50% of refugees being female makes complete sense, so why are such a high proportion of "refugees" in Ireland male then ?

We all know a lot of the refugees are gaming the system and aren't real refugees so why can't they be called out for it.

• Advertisement

We do.

if someone wants to immigrate here they have to fulfil all sorts of requirements also.

Others just arrived and destroy there documents , skilled workers they are not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Another article that lays the numbers bare here:

Some of the highlights that raised my eyebrow a couple of inches...

"Citing Central Statistics Office (CSO) data, the report said immigration rose to 141,600 by April of this year – a 31pc increase on the year before."

In the teeth of an  intractable housing crisis, why is this being allowed? We're surely not getting 141,000 doctors and nurses. How many Starbucks baristias and Deliveroo drivers does this country really need?

"There was a surge in work and education permits issued in Ireland last year. There were 85,793 permits issued to non-EU citizens in 2022 – a significant increase on the 34,935 issued in 2021.

The report said that, as usual, education was the most common reason for permits – representing almost half of all permits issued in 2022. The report said the number of valid permits at the end of 2022 was 234,057 – the highest over the last 10 years. The most common nationalities of permit holders were Indian, Brazilian and Chinese."

Ah I see why it's being allowed, the usual 'business interests' are making too much money, be they visa mills, sorry, 'language schools' or the dodgy landlords that cram 10 Brazillions to a room and charge them all a grand a peice to rent a hovel. A quick and easy fix would be to shut down the visa mills and thousands of rental properties would have to come back on the market, but of course there's not a chance in hell that will happen.

"The increase in emigration was driven by Irish nationals, who represented 48pc of people departing. The number of Irish people leaving the country rose by almost a fifth from the year before. The report found there had also been an increase in EU and UK emigration, while emigration for those from the ‘rest of the world’ dropped by 16pc."

Meanwhile the Irish can't get out of Ireland fast enough.

I noticed that when you go on to the Deliveroo website they are advertising for staff in Portuguese, never thought I see job advertisements in Ireland in foreign languages and not English

The figures are being skewed by the number of Ukraine refugees. The net migration of 77,600 includes 42,000 Ukraines. So if it wasn’t for the Ukraine war our net migration would be only slightly higher then the two years preceding the pandemic - 35,600 compared to 34,000 in 2018 and 33,700 in 2019.

Irish people also return to live in Ireland. Net migration of just Irish nationals in 2022 was -2100, last year it was -900.

Jesus, you must have been knocked over with shock when An Garda Siochana had a recruitment drive in 10 different languages!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

It's all a big laugh to you isn't it?

Well laugh it up while you can, because in less than five years I guarantee you won't be laughing any longer.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit pointless as you really need to be fluent in just English to get through their recruitment process let alone interact with the public if you are hired.

You can maybe get by not bothering your arse with English, other than a few simple phrases if you're a Deliveroo driver.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement