Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pork tenderloin, potato and celeriac mash, mustard and tarragon sauce.

A bit lacking in colour but it didn't last long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looks fab @PARlance, no wonder it didn't last long!

That mustard and tarragon sauce though! I love both flavours...

Is it easy enough to make? Cream or roux based?

Should be a very versatile thing to have at hand, but a great match for pork alright.

It's a night of using up what I have, so...

The baby potatoes are microwaved/steamed.

A mix of cavolo nero, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, onions, black olives is about done, but it'll keep...

I don't have any fresh meat or fish, but I do have a can of smoked herring? Hmm. Should have planned better perhaps!

Very easy @igCorcaigh, it's cream based.

Once the pork is done, take out of pan to rest. Put same pan on heat, add cream, a heaped tablespoon of dijon and another of wholegrain mustard. Bring up to temp and add chopped tarragon and parsley. I also add a squeeze of lemon juice to finish.

There's really no need for seasoning the sauce as there'll be plenty left over in the pan from the pork.

It's one of my favourite sauces, love both flavours as well.

Ah, the resting juices from the meat! Sounds perfect. Some people throw those juices away! 😖

(I love Dijon; Maille, or Lakeshore is also very good. Essential for gravy IMHO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Porchetta was a ... partial success. Pork itself was lovely and tender and was flavoured very nicely, though needed to be sliced thinner. The skin was nice and crispy in some parts, but it did need longer in the really hot oven to crisp up. Or it needed to be pricked a lot more / baking sodad beforehand. Might butterfly it as well next time. Lot of lessons learned for the Christmas day version this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That looks really good!

It's always going to be hard to get a rolled piece with even crackling. I usually take the skin off and crisp it up flat but that's not really an option here.

It's bubbling really nicely in places, I think it just needed a bit longer to get more of it bubbled. Obviously, the bigger the piece, the easier it would be as you'd have less fear of it getting overcooked and dry.

I'd call that more than a partial success. But I'm my own harshest critic, too!

Cheers, I was pretty happy overall with it but like you say - my own harshest critic as well! Next time will be better.

I still haven't tidied the kitchen, it's like a bomb hit it. Friends over, far too much wine was inbibed by everyone, I just can't face it today.

Though I am enjoying some nice leftover pork sandwiches with apple sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Slow cooked leg of lamb, roasties, carrots, sprouts, stuffing and a lamb gravy made with the juices.

I'm in an absolute stupor after it.

Shepherds pie with the leftover roast lamb.

• Advertisement

Ah, a traditional, real shepherd's pie 😍

I'm having it again this evening and there will be some for the freezer.

It's honestly the best shepherds pie I've ever made. I'm drooling thinking about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Chicken meatballs with spinach and orzo.

This was a viral recipe the missus did. Very good.

Roasted veg risotto, seconds were a fair bit dryer than firsts.

I needed something fast, and not in the mood for cooking, so a quick vegetarian Indian dinner made with a store bought aloo methi with added peas, black rice, onion, chilli pickle and kimchi. I added some cashews after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Meant to make a chicken and leek pie this evening but forgot to buy the pastry! Was feeling lazy at that point when I realised and had to go with a quick option.

Morgerley Steak and Kidney Pie cooked in airfyer with a microwaved jacket potato and peas for me. And quesadillas with some chilli from the freezer for everyone else. They were more cheese than chilli to make sure the kids ate them!

Would love to make my own steak and kidney pie but nobody else in the house will eat it. Was one of my favourite dinners as a child and one of the first I cooked when I was around 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This sounds weird, but looking at the potatoes above, I've just realised I don't think I've ever served my kids potatoes in their skins. Maybe a baked potato, but if so, it was a long time ago.

We just always seem to have done mash, roasties etc. Probably also just less potatoes than 20 years ago.

Maybe it comes from the fact that it felt like half of every childhood dinner was spent peeling potatoes from their skins...

Floury, buttered potatoes that are practically falling out of their skins can be delicious though, might have to revisit that.

I hated potatoes boiled in their skins as a kid. All that peeling.

Now I love them and usually eat the skins! If having baked potatoes, I'd happily forego the potato and eat everyone's discarded skins! Often bake baby roosters for the higher skin to flesh ratio 😂

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Growing up we never, ever left the skin on potatoes. Even if just boiling or steaming to eat with butter we'd peel them. But my wife's family only peel if they're mashing them or making roasts.

Gotta be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the skins. I'd eat them but definitely prefer peeled. It's probably because usually we have roosters and the skin can be quite thick.

Then again, I hugely prefer soapy spuds to floury ones and my missus is convinced I'm a weirdo because of this.

• Advertisement

I wonder is it the potatoes that have changed, my memories are the same, half the dinner was spent opening them up/peeling... but I remember them having rather thick skins, much thicker than today's spuds.

A quick search says that the longer they are left, the thicker the skin gets. We're probably getting spuds with much less skin on them these days which are easier to peel.

I also remember getting tasked with scrubbing them as a kid, you could have half a field of muck on them. I guess cleaning meant that peeling was often left undone.

Also recall that the arrival of "new potatoes" was a thing each summer. Think they were coming in from Italy at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I was told you're not really supposed to eat too much of the skin because it contains most of the toxins that occur in potatoes (glycoalkaloids). So unless we're having a few baby potatoes as a side (not a chance that I'm peeling those!) we always peel before or after cooking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Creamy korma style chicken curry. Served with rice and homemade flatbreads. Scattered a few flaked almonds over the top before serving as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Even as a kid I prefer the skins . Even the hard leathery ones 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Tonight we had Prawn bisque with sautéed leeks, toasted pine nuts and black garlic aioli to start, pork gyozas with garlic gochujang dipping sauce and then individual Baileys Tiramisu for dessert.

Spag bol from the freezer as the hubby asked for the rest of the curry for his dinner.

Mine was grand, but for some reason I had beans in there. Not very traditional, but there you go..

Boxty, fried eggs, rashers, hash browns on a roll. Yes, two potato products on a roll. I had stuff to use up and decided to give it a lash. Worked. No photo because I'm not sure my arteries could take looking at it as well as eating it.

Understandable. We can all be a bit rushed on a weekday night. 😋

I used a frozen breaded chicken thing from the supermarket, it was actually ok.

Spinach with chilli pickle and mixed nuts. Rice and some leftover potato curry ready meal!

Tasty enough, tbh.

EDIT: That errant onion on the rice is annoying me! 😅

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Advertisement

I spatchcocked a small chicken, slashed it a bit and slathered it in my homemade fermented chilli and pineapple sauce and olive oil.

I cooked this in a very hot oven for about 35 minutes with some squashed baby roosters. The chicken came out great. Really moist and cooked through and a little charred in places. Kinda piri piri like.

Served this with a pretty hot dal that I cut with lots of spinach.

Slightly odd but delicious combo.

Advertisement