Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's stunningly pathetic behaviour. And in a week(s) when it's said the Starfield player count has tanked - I think I read it dropped back below Skyrim even?

By all accounts it seems a perfectly mediocre game but it's funny how that ain't good enough now. Hollywood knocks out forgettable "mid" films that make a squillion bucks - games do that and it's panic stations and autopsies abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, new EA patent allows you to speak into your mic, EA records your voice and their tech makes the main character speak in your voice. Yeah.... your voice is gonna be used fire NPC's for the rest of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It'd kind of be bad enough already, but some of the reasoning they're using is just so hilariously bad.

"Some of Starfield's planets are meant to be empty by design - but that's not boring. 'When the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there. They certainly weren't bored.'"

Firstly, they put that in quotation marks as if it's a well known saying or quote. And secondly, the astronauts were actually on the f*cking moon!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's entirely possible that all these responses are actually just Todd Howard, he gets pretty salty at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally, I think Bethesda’s resources would be better spent making an interesting game rather than lurking in user reviews trying to defend the deeply uninteresting one they’ve already put out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

You’re playing it wrong is never a good response tbh - the game probably gets more hate than it deserves but there are clearly legitimate criticisms that Bethesda should just take on board and move on.

They bring this on themselves though, promise the world pre release(while being pretty selective on previews), then defensive when people criticise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'd be very surprised if they were employed to do that and not just going off on their own.

The usernames at the top of the posts are marked as [developer] and with Bethesda usernames, so it looks like it really may be from proper Bethesda accounts.

I get the desire to try address the narrative around the game having empty planets, repeated outposts etc, but they're trying to say the negatives aren't negatives rather than praising the positives. From what I've heard the main experience you're supposed to get from the game is going through New Game+ repeatedly, and how things change, how you can do things differently, how that can affect your next NG+, and that once you get into that cycle you do far less "exploring" and more just belting through the bits you want to play.

But when you get down to "Yeah, there are loading screens, but think about how much info the game has to generate!" and then in the next post "Sure, most of the planets are completely empty, but think about how much fun you can have on an empty planet!", people aren't going to pay attention to the positives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If they're not getting paid to write "While there may be loading screens in between fast travelling, just consider the amount of data for the expansive gameplay that is procedurally generated to load flawlessly in under 3 seconds. We believe that shortcoming will not hinder our players from getting lost in the world we created".... I'd be even more concerned 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Hollywood can't even knock those movies out anymore, people have gotten sick of them and all of the major releases this year outside of Barbie and Oppenheimer have massively underperformed.

With Starfield it is a different story though, I honestly think the last game I remember with that level of hype was Ocarina of Time. It needed to be absolutely brilliant and it was just OK at best.

• Advertisement

Cyberpunk was at ludicrous levels of hype and was in a far worse state when it released in fairness.

That is true but even still Starfield and OoT were in a league of their own, seen as how they were both the one great hope of underperforming consoles. I also think the Zelda series and the Bethesda RPGs had a larger cultural cache that TW3, which was CDPRs only really high-profile game to that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And they turned that game around.

Which is kind of what Bethesda should be doing if they are serious about it.

I would say that’s a far bigger challenge.

Cyberpunk was broken on release but fixable - I think the issues with Starfield are baked into the game or limitations with the engine rather than something that can be corrected with further releases.

They could I suppose at the very least customise the outposts the player finds on these planets instead of having them be copied to such a degree that players already know what items they’ll be picking up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The problems that Starfield has are more fundamental though, it's not really tech that's stopping it from being great, it's the design choices made early on in the development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How trends have changed doesn't matter in the context of how Blockbusters have worked: unless something's ostensibly geared towards a "shared universe" or sequel bait, if a thing makes a billion dollars, then it's a job well done. And in many ways, that's also how Games used to operate too. Make game, sell game. Lots of sales? Hooray!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In good gaming news has everyone else seen the latest videos of Dragons Dogma 2? It looks so good!

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If I remember right, Cyberpunk's biggest issue on launch was bugs, and lots of them.

Starfield's problem isn't bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Advertisement

Jesus: I hadn't even realised Weta wasn't a Peter Jackson company anymore (though bought at that price, I'd sell it too). Though I guess it happened in the teeth of COVID lockdowns so no wonder it passed me by; what an absolute piece of shít manoeuvre - why even buy the company if you 're just gonna shutter it 2 years later?

I'm guessing the cynical answer is that they had some propriety software Unity really wanted and all those pesky human beings, and award-winning, if not market leading, FX talent an inconvenience to be gotten rid of at the first opportunity.

JFC Unity, what happened you? You used to be cool. Positively indie!

Capitalism, essentially. More specifically, former EA shitbag John Riccitiello.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Embracer will probably keep ownership of all the IP as well even though they're closing the studios. So no chance of a new TimeSplitters.

100%.

I've always said it's just an IP grab. Borrow money, buy company with lots of IP, close the studio and write off the borrowings as losses.

You end up in control of hundreds of great IP, but also proprietary tools and tech.

Embracer will eventually just go into receivership, some one else will pick up all the IP for peanuts and the Embracer debt will get written off in bankruptcy.

Oh they are proper accounts. I just don't think the higher ups came along and asked developers to stop coding and start replying to steam reviews.

More likely it's Devs that spent 3-5 years working on a game with hundreds of colleagues and are proud of the minor miracle they achieved to actually get a game out there, and are trying to explain why things are the way they are to people who are questioning the choices around the technical limitations they had to over come, or design decisions they made.

It's also not just one person so if one explains the loading screens, and one the empty planets, they are likely on very different teams addressing very different aspects.

Now could it be said better? Sure, I think starting out by acknowledging the planets feel empty but the design choice they were trying to get across was x y z, or loading screens are needed but we managed to condense X amount of data into that 3 seconds which took a huge effort and hid massive amounts of texture pop ins that was a worse narrative experience, would have been better.

But people give out all the time about Devs not talking, that the industry is more secretive than MI5, but when they do talk they get bombarded.

I can 99% guarantee that corporate will have a word, they have gotten a slew of death and rape threats for "ruining the game" and will never talk to anyone again.

For what? Talking politely to someone in a comment thread.

Edit: Ah scrap that, I just saw them all signed off by customer support with a template 🥴. I just saw the [developer] tag beside the name and assumed they were Devs.

Yeah that's customer outreach or some such.

This one’s a bit convoluted, but Weta digital - which was sold to Unity - is actually just the ‘tools’ part of the company. The traditional FX side remained separate so isn’t impacted by this. What makes it confusing is that the whole entity was called ‘Weta Digital’ at one point, before the split.

Regardless, f*ck Unity and f*ck Embracer and f*ck Epic for leaving so many hundreds of people out of work solely due to corporate incompetence and misjudged acquisitions. Modern capitalism at its most pointless.

Yup yup. The sad part is that this is all entirely how it's meant to work, if you believe its advocates. Just part & parcel of the game. This isn't an aberration but Late Capitalism functioning perfectly.

There's absolutely no way developers would be allowed engage on a public forum like steam reviews with upper management approval and if they did their job would be on the line. Also it's a complete waste of resources to allow Devs to do this.

My educated guess is that a style guide was made for replying to reviews and this has been farmed out to contractors which explains the stilted responses.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's customer support. The tweets were blurred on purpose so I didn't see it at first. But each one is signed with the same template with a big paragraph about "Starfield is an RPG with hundreds of hours of quests to complete......" And signed off by customer support.

But that happens, they have someone write a template and they have to stick to it. But at least they ask for feedback and say they are still working on improving it.

But it's not uncommon for actual Devs to engage online. It's frowned on if they appear to speak for the company. But not if they are just talking.

Advertisement