Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think there will be substantial pressure to pay more attention to the URC play offs this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leo has Leinster continuously in the top 2 in Europe. It's important to remember when he took over the players he has now we're academy lads. Leo led the development of these players.

He's overseen the development of JOB, Keenan, kelleher etc. Compare this to any other club.

Leinster are playing poorly. There's several reasons for this. I'm not sure they'll win anything this season. We don't know what happens in house but I'd say having Goodman playing coach elsewhere and Nienaber just arriving is a reason. Also the last generation of players are retired or past it and the reintegration of the international lads is bothersome. Still, Leinster have won 4 on the trot. Leo is excellent and should be given leeway.

Tbh, I hope we prioritize Europe. The league is nice but gimme the heino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This probably isn’t a popular thing to say in a results orientated sport.

However, the most probable reason for losing two finals really closely will involve a good deal of chance.

Logically, i’d give a coach who got us to that point a lot of rope.

Edit; sometimes there isn’t anything major to be learned other than ‘let’s do that again’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Well said.

People love to point out the result and draw all their conclusions from the result alone.

But luck plays a huge part and if anyone thinks their own teams success didn't come with a massive dollop of luck is sadly mistaken.

We lost the last 2 European finals by a last minute or so score (an aggregate of 4 points) having been ahead. Part of it definitely comes down to chance and luck- or lack thereof.

Some people point to how its not unlucky if it's happened twice. But it is still absolutely possible.

We were lucky in 2018. We were also lucky against Clermont in 2012 in the semis. Doesn't take away from or achievements. But chance played a factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont think many other coaches especially one from outside would have been given as much leeway as Leo has been given. The semi last year was a terrible call that many other coaches would not have survived.

The acquisition of Jacques is a great move, and a big move by Leo to have somebody like him in the coaching team. It shows the willingness to succeed at all costs, many people would have to much of an ego to work alongside him.

Yeah, we played horribly in the 2018 final and absolutely no one remembers that or cares. History is 100% written by the victors.

Equally, the 'great' South African team who won the 2019 RWC did so by losing their opening match (fairly handily) to NZ, beating Italy, Namibia and Canada to get out of their group, and then beating Japan, Wales and England to win the tournament.

Hardly a fearsome slate of world beaters.

No one ever remembers and no one cares about the performance if you get the luck and win.

The semi last year was a terrible call that many other coaches would not have survived.

That's a bit over-dramatic. He absolutely got it wrong, a decision I agreed with massively at the time, but it's hardly the sort of thing coaches get sacked for in rugby over. That culture isn't there anyway.

Pat Lam has squandered an absolute fortune in Bristol and is still clinging onto his job.

• Advertisement

2nd paragraph describes leo to a tee. Unselfish, driven and willing to accommodate others to try to improve.

Lei bashing is futile. I mean Leinster have been going through a transition these last few seasons. He's kept the team competing during a period where Toner, Sexton, Nugget and Fardy retired. Other players moved on, R.O.L, Murphy, Jack McGrath . This season He's used Boyle, Pat McCarthy, McGuire all academy lads in the front row. Keeping the squad competitive during the international windows! Leo is fantastic! If Leinster have a poor season he will survive, if he chooses.

You are right. Lam is a joke. Bristol are a middling team.

Leo of course got it wrong in the urc semi last season. I too agreed with the selection. We were beaten by a better side. Lesson learned.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

No-one has been bashing Leo but there is an ongoing discussion around Leinster's under performance in the last decade with the resources they have, lions share of the Ireland team who have been there or thereabouts on the world stage for most of that decade (RWC aside). I agree that the pre SA URC is not a great benchmark of excellence, Leinster won 4 on the trot but asterisk on quality and a footnote that Munster and Ulster were at a fairly poor level in those years. 1 HC in a decade, again is not much of a boast given the resources, though that competition is steadily fearsome. France always has at least 1 team on fire every year and England often does. I disagree on the bounce of the ball from glory stuff, Leinster were out coached by ROG for the last 2 years, close matches yes but no-one could look at the last LAR match and say Leinster were unlucky. They didn't fire a shot in 50 minutes and LAR mounted one the greatest comebacks we've seen. So Leo is fine, but I'd never say he is a great coach. Would he have won anything with Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I know the season has only just begun but I can't help but look to seasons end. Michael Ala'alatoa heading to France, Charlie Ngatai and Jason Jenkins more than likely on the way out of town and Cian Healy seemingly seeing this season out and riding off into the sunset. What are some targets you think Leinster should be trying to lure to Dublin in order to push on even further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He really has a serious issue with that.

At this stage there's probably an element of his reputation preceding him but he really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

needs to spend more time in the coachs box and less on the side line

I heard from a good source that he had applied and had given his best shot at being Nuciforas replacement leaving jacques in complete control but he didnt get the job, if that is true or not i wonder what his prospects are long term. I cant see him being in serious contention for the Irish Job if / when it comes up so you have to wonder where he goes after Leinster whenever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ngatai given another year. He had injury problems last season for a spell but has largely been available. He's also been consistently very good for us; it feels like he makes at least one big moment that has a big influence on every game he plays. He turns 34 at the start of next season so probably feels like retirement would be premature and I think he's still giving plenty of value.

Healy shouldn't/won't be replaced. We're stacked in terms of promising options coming through at loosehead.

Ala'alatoa will definitely need to be replaced. I'd be happy for us to use that spot for a NIQ player but it would need to strike the sweet spot in terms of being a relatively high quality player but not one that will be disappearing for test rugby for stretches of the season. In a perfect world, that would be someone like Thomas du Toit who is high quality but missed out on the Springbok squad. He's moved to Bath now so is off the table (and is likely to be back with the Springboks again in the next couple of seasons).

He has signed a new deal with the Stormers but someone of a similar profile to Neethling Fouché would be ideal. Very solid scrummager, sometimes captain of the Stormers and isn't involved with the Springboks (and at 30, probably won't be).

We could potentially replace Jenkins although I can see us examining where our demands are greatest. If we have Ryan, McCarthy, Molony and Baird able to play there along with some youngsters coming through, are we better served by looking at something like a utility back row player? We've a few guys getting on a bit there and have been fortunate that Scott Penny has been incredibly robust over the last two years, covering openside and 8 at times.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty skeptical on your "good source". He signed a new Leinster deal in February to take him through to 2025, when it was widely known in October 2022 that Nucifora was leaving post RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The squad has Leinster in the top 2 in Europe, not Leo. The squad that Leo has absolutely wasted throughout his tenure. Leinster are in the top 2 in Europe in spite of Leo.

I can see Farrell keeping the Ireland job until after the next World Cup and then I can see O'Gara taking the job for the foreseeable future. Leo will move into a director of rugby position with Leinster and a big name coach whether Nienaber or someone else take on head coaching responsibilities.

I think with Ciaran Frawley, Jamie Osborne and Jimmy O'Brien all capable of filling in as the utility back, I would guess that Ngatai might not be kept much longer. Jenkins unless he pulls up his socks this season is as good as gone.

If they decide to play Ryan Baird as a full time lock then I think they don't need another lock, but I think for Leinster and Ireland they would love for Baird to claim the 6 shirt long term.

If he is a full time flanker, a lock is a must. I can see them using the NIQ designation on a lock, any suggestions?

I agree fully about TH, it is a significant need in the short term (1 to 2 years) I feel very good about Rory McGuire in the long term but short term we will get absolutely obliterated in the scrum against high level competition if Michael Milne and a very young Rory McGuire are coming off the bench. Leinster should be targeting an aging prop who still has a couple seasons left in them who probably like you said no longer be considered for international duty. i have mentioned Trevor Nyakane before but he might be a bit long in the tooth by the team he lands in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Well said TRC - we ARE lucky to have Leo and everything is great with Leinster.

Great to see you've shirked your oppressive and exhausting negative tone and are willing to offer constructive points now.

Long may it continue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What would change about the current situation if Cullen's job title changed to DOR? That's essentially what he's been since Lancaster came in, and it's continuing with Nienaber.

Probably wouldn't be as involved in terms of boots on the ground. It would be more of an oversight role rather than being in the dressing room. Basically similar to what he is doing now but with a nicer title pretty much.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how wrong it is

Advertisement