Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What tunnels? The doctors in the hospitals told us there were no tunnels under the hospitals and loads of posters on here repeated that, so there are no tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

In what way does Israel encourage or advocate aggression towards other countries or groups? (That's what warmongering means)

Lame excuse.

It was clear that day that many in Ireland were celebrating the actions of Hamas, posting "from the river to the sea" and putting up Palestinian flags.

Denying that reality destroys your credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭pjordan

I was living in the US during and after 9/11. One moderate neighbour of mine (who also just happened to be Jewish) told me that in the days after she actually called the White House with a message for President Bush, that she wanted the US to Nuke Afghanistan and reduce it to a barren wasteland of nothingness and maybe later the US could build some golf courses there! She said that the WH telephonist actually laughed at this (whilst apologising for laughing).

However that sentiment was disturbingly indicative of a considerable proportion of Americans post 9/11 in that their primary demand was for revenge above all else. Over 20 years later they finally withdrew from Afghanistan without having defeated the Taliban and actually let the Taliban back into power by their departure. Israel could learn a lot from that. They might get revenge but they are unlikely to defeat Hamas militarily. Indeed they may well have sown the seeds by their actions in the past 8 weeks of a momentum that will see Islamic miltants overrun what is the entire territory of Israel within the next 20 years. That would be a huge tragic disaster and undoubtedly result in a massacre of holocaust proportions if it were to come to pass (and if it were to happen none of Europe wound be safe either) but much of it would be traceable back to Israel’s actions of the past 8 weeks. One reaps what they sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Exactly. People ask why Irish people tend to be hostile to Israel. It's because we can imagine what would have happened had the Brits done to us what Israel is doing to Gaza, and the West Bank, and has done many times before. We imagine ourselves in the shoes of Gaza.

Thankfully our relations with Britain are good on the whole, and Irish people generally have a pretty positive view of Britain and the British people. Irishness is inextricably linked with Britain, we love their football, their music, their television, and we flock/ed to work and live there. In so many ways we have a deep love of Britain.

But there's still a very real distance between us and them, a slight suspicion, an ever present guardedness, and a knowledge that not insignificant elements in Britain still have it in for the Irish. There's still a residual hostility in Ireland to Britain and especially to these anti-Irish elements we know still exist.

These qualifications in our relationship with Britain and Britishness exist because of centuries of history, but most tangibly because of massacres which exist in living memory and vivid pictorial memory like Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy.

Could you imagine how much we would hate the Brits if they had done to us what Israel is doing to Gaza right now?

• Advertisement

And doctors don't tell lies because they, like nurses, are healthcare professionals and so operate on a higher moral and ethic plain than the rest of us.

"Could you imagine how much we would hate the Brits if they had done to us what Israel is doing to Gaza right now?"

Or how much they'd hate us if we did what Hamas did last month. Imagine if the IRA had killed 250 people at Glastonbury and another 1000 or so in their homes in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is a bit different though. US cities and civilians weren't in rocket range of Afghanistan. The US could go home.

Where does Israel go home to?

Whether they like it or not, Israel and Palestinians are in it for the long haul.

You can just as easily make the case that if Israel showed weakness after October 7th, it would be seen as appeasement and lead to more attacks not just from Hamas but from other factions in the Middle East that hate Israel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've heard this whole subject discussed recently (about why the British by contrast didn't carpet bomb nationalist areas in NI or behave much more violently) and a suggestion was that the British still had some respect for their Irish nationalist opponents - the Israelis seem to regard Palestinians as vastly inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can you imagine how much the Brits would hate us if we'd carried out atrocities like October 7th, by the armed faction of the regime in charge of the territory? If that armed faction wanted to extinguish Britain from the map, and was subjecting major British cities to rocket barrages on a scale not seen since the Blitz?

They would not be "good as a whole" would they?

Your comparison falls down on every level.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Of course there are British people who still hate the Irish because of things like the Birmingham and Guildford and Brighton bombings, Canary Wharf, Warrington, and so much else. I can understand that.

But those atrocities didn't happen in a vacuum.

Stating that is an entirely different thing from stating support for the Provos. I consider the Provos a nihilistic murder gang and I hate what they did. But groups like the Provos are the very likely outcome when you treat a people like shlt for decades, centuries.

Israel has treated the Palestinians like shlt since the 1940s. The conflict didn't start on October 7th, 2023. Atrocities like October 7th, 2023 do not happen in a vacuum.

Israel's cheerleaders simply do not acknowledge this. They outright deny historical cause and effect. It's a denial of reality and a rejection of truth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Agreed alright, the thing is though once you start putting an actual number on it (the actual reality) it becomes much harder for the politicians to justify

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The Irish Times (OK, Una Mullally, but they published it) manages to review Gig for Gaza without using the words “Israel” or “Hamas”.

It’s stuff like this that gives credence to the Israel President’s complaint that Irish people don’t care about what was done to Israelis by Hamas on Oct 7.

Also, utterly cringey headline on the article. I doubt that the gathering of a few hundred people in Dublin will have much impact on the military planning of either Israel or Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would be agree regarding heavy ordinance but I put my hands up and say I have no idea of how to solve this conflict. I only call out what I think is wrong and I think counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What is the gist of this article? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For me it's a sign of the pressure they(Hamas) are under. They are a spent force in northern Gaza.. They could be hoping that the longer the truce goes on the harder it is for Israel to resume the war. With this in mind the heads of Mossad and the CIA are in Qatar to discuss extending the truce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Helicopters you say ? Mind you it does sound like some in the background where this woman was hiding at the music festival. Probably Hamas propaganda

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Israel has treated the Palestinians like shlt since the 1940s. The conflict didn't start on October 7th, 2023. Atrocities like October 7th, 2023 do not happen in a vacuum."

Can you show where mutual abuse between the two communities in and since the 40s can not be characterized as 6 of one/half a dozen of the other?

Include the Arab neighbours in that if you think the mutual disrespect balance has been too lopsided within the boundaries of ,say Mandated Palestine and onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Truth: Hamas invades Oct 7 and committed atrocities, from what can be seen, for the lulz. Maybe to derail Saudi/Israel closer relationship.

Truth: Ireland feels some comradeship with Palestinians because of antisemitic sentiment long a part of the teachings of the dominant force in Irish society until recently, the RCC. Perhaps a bunch of delusional, BDS inspired victimhood plays a role, too.

Truth: No Palestine in the 1940's. It's a post-1970 concept. And unlike all the previous rules of that region, only Israel has allowed Palestinians to be part of government, vote, etc. Not like the Ottomans/Jordanians/Syrians did anything but treat them like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

I'd put that down to religious exceptionalism on both sides. Israelis generally, and successive Israeli governments in particular, have no regard for anyone who isn't Jewish. Non-Jews have scant rights under Israeli law and the Jewish faith considers gentiles to be 'half a person'. Muslims also consider non-believers to be kafirs and were happy to massacre non-believers en masse. We all know what Christians have done to infidels and heretics in the past, too.

Religions that claim they are the chosen people are going to be very disappointed come judgement day, having left a legacy of death, persecution, hatred and deceit behind them. So next time someone claims they know the will of God, go ahead and give them a wedgie.

• Advertisement

If you don't know what is right, how do you know what is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

UN security meeting on Palestine just starting.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 25,521 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't know what are the correct efforts to combat a group like Hamas but I do know that if your methods involve killing multiples of civilians for each militant then your methods are immoral. So I do know the difference between what is right and wrong morally. I'm not against Israel fighting and destroying Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

We can think we know what is right on the micro scale but not know it when we zoom out to the broader picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

See that's the false premise; there were no "Palestinians" in the 1940's. In the 1840's there were around 300,000 people made up of Arabs (85%), Christians(10%) and Jews (5%) living in what became Mandated Palestine but was then part of the Ottoman Empire and had previously never been a geographical Nation. By the 1900's, mainly due to the inflow of Jews and Zionist money, the population of Jews and Arabs had increased significantly. Then the First World War happened and the area came under a League of Nations Mandate, administered by the UK and France. Then there was a series bloody conflicts of what in reality were the ebbs and flows of a Civil War between the Jews and Arabs, both off whom were Palestinian. Then the League of Nations and the victors of the Second World War proposed a partition of Mandated Palestine into Arab and Jewish countries. The Jews accepted that but the surrounding Arab countries in the area didn't and in 1948 they invaded and annexed what is now the West Bank and Gaza. Israel annexed the rest of what was to have been Arab Mandated Palestine but for the most part it was desert.

In short everyone in the region has been treating the Palestinian Arabs like **** since the end of Ottoman rule. Mind you it was a walk in the park in comparison to the conquest of the Arabian Gulf by Ibn Saud when the British and French backed a tribe of fundamentalist lunatics so that the Hashemites wouldn't rule the region and pan-Arab nationalism wouldn't take hold. The level of savagery unleashed was up there with Rwanda and the worst excesses of the Second World War. The locals have good cause not to like the West and to resent anything that sounds or smells like colonialism but many of their leaders don't. Many of them were put in power by Western countries and are still kept in power by them now. The Israeli treatment of the Palestinian Arabs is nothing special in the region. What does mark them out is that religious divide.

Was the bombing of Hiroshima wrong? It was necessary to bring an end to the war, it killed 70,000 civilians, with maybe a tiny fraction of military killed.

That is why we have international law and the rules of war to determine what is allowed.

I take my news from sources which have an editor and a proper structure. I don't place any value on social gossip (AK social media).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That second one anyway is utter conjecture. I would counter that Irish people feel a kinship because they know what it's like to be forcibly removed from their land by force and then treated as second class citizens for generations while being gaslit by their oppressors.

Advertisement