Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Not until January. That'll be for people to post gig reports, photos, etc., the same as the current Gigs for 2023 one.

At least, that's my understanding...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Where did people talk about gigs for 2023 in the future over the last few months? Thought it was all going into the 2023 thread.

Edit: I see it now. All very confusing 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We'll setup a 2024 chat just before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

the 2024 review thread definitely needs a better title, "2023 gigs" and "gigs for 2023" mean the same thing.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm headed to see Electric Six's 20th anniversary of their debut album show on Saturday night, then to the Darkness on Sunday night to watch them do the same thing. I'm basically pretending it's 2003 again this weekend. I might dig out some old jeans that are wrecked at the bottom from trailing along the ground, and get wet up to your knees when it rains.

Ah, the good ol' days.

The Darkness are a class act live

Looking forward to seeing the recent documentary

Yeah I saw them in the Olympia last time they were here, they were excellent . Desperately tried to get tickets to the gig in the Academy the tour before that but had no luck. My previous time seeing them before the Olympia was in Vicar Street 20 years ago 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ho! BC Camplight majestic in Whelan's tonight! Full band for most of it, just himself and the piano for a few. He's a hoot, really funny, killer lyrics, had the place in the palm of his hand. Personal Trainer superb support. Thoroughly enjoyable Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Stunning gig, the songs take on a new life live. The only time I saw him live was in Workmans last year when it was just him and his piano and that was brilliant too, but nice to be able to contrast the 2 experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Someone else said this but the name of that discussion (and this one) sounds too like the rumoured / confirmed one. Surely there is some way of making a clearer distinction between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Feel free to ask a mod to change the thread title. I don't mind.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Darkness were absolutely incredible this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They sure did! It was brilliant to hear it.

Justin Hawkins is an incredible front man. Doing a handstand at the start of the kick and kicking his heels together to get the crowd to clap. Getting on a crewmembers shoulders and playing guitar being walked through the crowd. Bollocking people out of it twice for videoing songs (he stopped I Believe In A Thing Called Love during the first chorus, told people to live in the moment and put the f'n phones away, and restarted the song) . Hitting every note. Owning the stage. Killing it in the catsuit.

It was such a good show.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

I've seen the Darkness before, I've seen the Darkness tour this album on it's anniversary before, but that was fcuking special. A beautiful love letter to the first album that was mine, nobody recommended it, the band didn't have a back catalogue, they were young, they were hungry, they were new and I got in on the ground floor.

And it's still one of the best pure rock and roll albums ever, don't even try to argue.

Fairytale into don't let the Bell's end was the highlight, but Justin calling out the **** who were recording everything was a close second.

I loved Justin calling out people for filming everything. I had to get up from my seat at Queens of the Stone Age last week and some kid sitting next to me gave me filthies and was shaking his head because I'd ruined his recording of My God is the Sun. Put your fúcking phone away you twat, you are never going to watch that again.

The Darkness are just an incredibly good band. I know they were huge at one point 20 years ago but they are somehow a massively underrated band today.

• Advertisement

They were in the pit as well, so they'd probably gotten there 3 hours before the Darkness came on stage just to watch the whole thing through a screen........... I hate people at the best of times but sometimes they make it easy.

Really looking forward to seeing the Welcome to the Darkness doc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

The House Of Love - The Academy: A 1hr 40min. set from HOL last night. The first 75 minutes was focused on the 3-album Fontana period, in which they proved that even some of the less well received lp's had some quality tunes on them. Delighted to hear Se Dest, disappointed not to get 32nd Floor. Chadwick then played a 3-song acoustic encore (including Blind). The band then rejoined him for a final triple-whammy of Christine, Destroy The Heart and a wonderfully building Love In A Car. Given the acts this year i think they'd make a fine booking for Forest Fest 2024.

Slow Pulp - Workmans Club: Sold out show in the Workmans main room on Saturday night. A (mostly) young and very enthusiastic crowd, the band were well impressed with the reception they got. Musically, they were fine. If you're into them they put on a good show. The trouble for me is i've heard it all before and done better. My problem with all these acts influenced by Pixies/Breeders/Throwing Muses/Belly etc. is that they sound redundant to my ears. None of them improve upon the template or even sound like they're trying to. If anything they tend to go poppier. I've no doubt some folks here would like them but i won't be seeing them again.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Last night was my first venture upstairs in the 3OIympia. Did not get a ticket when they first went on sale, then got one for the circle few days ago.

Justin never fails....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Was at Extreme last night, stunning band, Nuno is the best guitarist in the world for me. Just mad how clean he is at these really intricate and technical passages, and unlike a lot of shredders is very melodic. Fingers crossed for a 2024 gig in Dublin as they are back in Europe and the UK next year

Hope so I'd love to cross them off the list

There supporting Scoprions for a few gigs next summer

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Saw that, got excited they were coming back to London and then realised only a support. Bit of a waste of Extreme considering it’s their only UK gig of 24, although admittedly I’ve never listened to Scorpions

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭xyz13

Saw them in Glasgow last month, outstanding!

I asked Gary why they skipped Ireland this time around, he has no idea. 🤞2024🤞

3 sides to every story...

Hoping they might play Mad Cool whenever the feck they announce it's happening and release the line up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Extreme...ly unlikely for Mad Cool, perhaps not the audience but they have tickets to sell for their own show there.

Will be at Graspop where they on the bill. Scorpions are a great band on record back in the day, live these days meh, crap sadly.

Advertisement