Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JCB 3CX Mechanic in Meath/Cavan

Options
  • 28-11-2023 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all, would you know of any JCB 3CX mechanics in the Navan, Kells, Virginia areas? I have a grey cab model that needs help.

Ideally a mechanic that will get all jobs done on her (expert in this machinery), and knows way around JCBs. Someone that can do the job here at the farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 woodseythelegend

I’ve an ‘87 3cx she’s in rag order but starts on the button and functions as a great front loader(king pin gone on back actor). Noticed recently that she’s moving very slowly and very sluggish switching from forward to reverse. Dipped the transmission fluid and it doesn’t look great!! Lots of foam and feck all else. Does this fluid degrade? Is there a filter? What’s the story with the foam? Could there be water getting into it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'd imagine the filter and oil should be changed at a recommended interval, every 500-1000 hours. Yes the oil would degrade and not do what it was meant to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Maybe she was over heating in the hydraulics and turned the oil to froth. Either way, do a fresh service and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Hydraulic pump on the way out I'd say. Change oil and filters first and see if that make a difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do a google on Borg Warner transmission. Or else Neks will be on here shortly. He has a couple of them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the answers lads. I’m totally clueless with this stuff-so please excuse my ignorance ! I thought the hydraulic oil system and the transmission fluid system were totally separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The Russell lads over near Kilmainhamwood, they do Fast Traxxs so they might know something about your machine. I don't know anything about them but have seen the adds on done deal.

You could also maybe ask John Conaty he might know someone.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Try tom hoey either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Gilroy

Ideally it would be a independent mechanic that can call out and not cost the sun, moon and stars. JCB dealers could be to pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

They might end up cheap in the long run, if they diagnose and repair the issue correctly first time around....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@hopeso so true, you often pay some of these lads for the first few hours while they stand scratching their head trying to figure out what is wrong, where as a guy who knows the machine will have it stripped down & working on the repair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note 2 JCB 3cx threads merged into one.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Full flush of hydraulic oil and see if the foaming reoccurs, you're probably looking at €400 to €500 for a fill of oil in that yoke. Have you opened the bottom plug to see if there is water in the sump? When was the last hydraulic oil change?? JCB says it's good for 5 years 'ish......

I have her since 00 and never flushed or emptied anything! Engine oil and filter. Diesel filter, transmission filter, air filter. That’s it. My problem is in the red transmission fluid (forward/reverse). Is this linked to the hydraulics? I thought they were totally independent systems??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Are they fun, i always wanted one on the farm when i was a teen

Used to require about 10 buckets of the front loader to fill the muckspredder, id say a 3cx would fill it in one go

Best craic you’ll get on a farm-with your clothes on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Correct. Totally independent. Take off the transmission filter and change. It should be underneath in line with the steps or near enough. Drain the oil and refill. That oil can be slow to fill as the inlet pipe is quite narrow so you might need it to settle to get a proper reading. Use transmission fluid. Red stuff. Also known as ATF. (Automatic transmission fluid). Probably some help on you tube if you have a look.

@Sacrolyte Hey lads anyone know what the Perkins filter equivalent of the JCB 02/100284A would be-its for the transmission fluid. Or is there anywhere on line to find out? Thanks

Advertisement