Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sorry but why are people even getting dole if they commit a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They get it at the moment regardless. You seem to be advocating going further than I would if you're suggesting cutting them off completely.

Personally, I would like to see a set amount cut for each offense/conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I’d start with cutting off their social housing which is fully funded by the taxpayers.

But I’d probably get zero support so as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Who?

You believe that anyone convicted of a crime should never collect social welfare in their life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Well that is another problem isn't it? Getting free money while convicted of a crime...this country never ceases to amaze me, lucky we have Helen "I don't know what I'm doing" in the drivers seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sorry, was there a riot online? Must have missed that. I was of course referring to the riot in Dublin, which this legislation covers -

We do have this legislation (Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989) to cover the encouraging of hatred -

We have done this song and dance before, you were tripping over yourself before, so I am going to enjoy you doing it again. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Why do you are who someone else votes or, or what their opinion on a subject might be?

None of those pieces of legislation apply to anyone inciting anyone to violence.

Unless Frank Bulliet knows something noone else does!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes, giving these people less money will definitely encourage them not to steal....

It's a terrible idea from a party who's track record on law and order is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No.

It's anti democratic to threaten to Kill the Taoiseach, it's anti democratic to threaten to Kill the President, It's anti democratic to abuse politicians, its anti democratic to call for politicians to be murdered with gallows.

The updates to the 1989 law are in line with international human rights laws including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrinination and the European Convention on Human Rights.

The law tries to get the balance right between human rights to freedom of expression and human rights to be safe and free from torture.

The right here in Europe to freedom of expression is qualified and always has been

Article 10 – Freedom of expression

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

— The European Convention of Human Rights

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That's going to play well, especially since we have had a nearly 100,000 new entrants to the state over the last year and a half go straight on to full social welfare benefits not to mention the thousands of others that arrived here over the last 20 odd years that have lanquished for years on social welfare of some sort or other.

And this is also at a time where the murderer of a young woman had arrived in this country to get 10 years social welfare courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.

BTW will he get social welfare when he gets out of prison?

And it looks like the "alleged" attacker of three young children has also spent all his time in Ireland on social welfare of some sort.

Fook me pink do the morons in power have any concept of reality.

I also find it interesting to see if those bleeding hearts that normally will always talk about looking after the less fortunate will suddenly agree with this simply because it affects those that don't agree with the ones the beleeding hearts have now adopted as their cause du jour, the migrants/internaional protection seekers/asylum seekers/refugees/anyone exotic foreign and not here legitimately through nationality or work visa.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it's a fine then take that off dole at source, but if someone is actually assaulting people/arson/theft they should be in prison not getting X less of free money per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭crusd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Agreed, I argued this in a similar topic before but I was stating that gardai should be allowed to enter any home or premises whenever they wanted and do a search, along with the abiliy to take people to stations for questioning without the constraints of justifiable cause we have at the minute. It would really allow us crack down on certain elements of society and really the only people who would have an issue with this would be those with something to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I wasn't being literal, I was mocking the posters ridiculous point. Regardless, and I know posters like yourself like to play dumb to this, but it's very easy to tell the difference between an Irish person and a non Irish person, and I'm not even talking about racial differences, more so ethnic differences.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

How will they know they are immigrants, so they can stop and investigate?

Or maybe they should spend their time stopping everyone on the streets!

Leave it to their discretion however they want to do it. Same as they stop cars and check details.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Great idea. They could also board trains and buses demanding to see papers and your phone. If you've nothing to hide you shouldn't have a problem with that. If you don't give your password or unlock your phone a year in prison will suffice, again if you've nothing to hide then you shouldn't have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's really amazing how many people have blind faith in states, when states have don't very little to deserve it, and much to make us suspicious of anything they do.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Because there's laws to stop the state going to far? The EU would step in if the Irish government got out of hand.

That's actually quite a clever way of doing it. Many people in a confined space so it's much easier than stopping people on busy streets. Irish peoples phones can be checked for far right or unsavoury messages, memes or whatsapp groups/twitter profiles they follow and non Irish people could be checked for their immigration status, whether they have an active deportation order against them etc, etc.

Senator O'Reilly speaking on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Full length black leather jackets would complete the look. I really don't understand why people are getting upset about this. Sure there could be a case where a member of a Whatsapp group your in posts something on Twitter or Facebook that's mildly transphobic or sexist and they get arrested for it. Sure the guards might be examining their phone and find your in a group with them and they posted somethings offensive that you didn't agree with, you didn't share it or like it but that's not enough, your arrested also because the image is on your phone. The images don't need to be some off the wall racist or child abuse images, just one person being offended is enough under this legislation. The above has happened in the UK which doesn't even have legislation with close to the powers that are within the new Incitement to Hate legislation being proposed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Well I don't have specific ask in terms of what they wear but like me and @lmao10 were discussing yesterday whatever can be utilised to strike fear into whatever group in society we are targeting we'd be all for it. With some ambition who knows how far we can push this legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Mass migration was inevitably going to cause chaos, this censorship legislation exists in its entirety to silence the chaos resulting from mass migration.

An invariable failure from inception that will create even more chaos.

This is not complicated.

Advertisement