Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

What was the motive for the IDF to attack the hospital if there was no Hamas presence there? Was it just because the evil Jew does that sort of thing? Did those nasty hook-nosed Jews decide that they would just attack a hospital and risk have a PR disaster because their evilness overrode their conniving nature? Are Jews, sorry, "The Jew" really that nasty? Thank goodness there's not a whiff of anti-Semitism framing this discussion!!

Oh, and who was shooing back at them? Was that the same doctors who said there were no tunnels or were they shooting at themselves? Was it the same IDF members that shot the kids at the Rave? Maybe it was Bill Gates or the Illuminate. Are the Lizard People in on this as well?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

"We're taught to hate Jews."

This is complete balderdash.

The far right who were out causing chaos the other night in East Wall and Clondalkin were screaming "Fcuk Palestine".

Perhaps these racists are actually the true anti-racists...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you ever find evidence of people changing their profiles, posting in support of Hamas as you claim in the days before Israel started attacking Gaza civilians.

You made this claim several weeks ago and were asked to show people supporting Hamas on the day of the attack and to my knowledge, you never showed evidence of what it is you were claiming.

You asked me to produce evidence to support my comment last nigh about conversations in the days after Oct 7tht, which I did, so maybe you can show the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It is not a good lesson though I think to deal with any conflict, people would not advocate a destruction of a city in most modern wars. Time has moved on from the 1940s.

If a war is just a war then why do people judge Russians for their actions more than say Israels. We do that because there are expectations on how wars are fought.

I'll take that of confirmation of my point that you saw no such evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just go back to the start of this thread to see posts supporting Hamas from October 7th? It's not that hard

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Russia and Hamas are the aggressors under international law.

Ukraine and Israel are acting in self-defence under international law.

That is why Russia is judged differently to Israel. There are different aspects to international law, depending on whether you are aggressor or acting in self-defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Nice attempt at history, but a lot of info/context missing. By 1900 the population was about 500,000 Arab and 22,000 Jews in the area that was Palestine. The Zionist movement had already been established by 1900 with the aim of creating a Jewish state in that area and they encouraged Jew to emigrate to that area. What evidence is there that the population increase was down to Zionist money? Regardless, by the time the British mandate was introduced, Jews still made up less than 10% of the population.

During WW1 the British made promises to 3 different groups based on the fall of the Ottoman empire, 1. They promised the Arabs an independent state of their own. 2. They signed the Sykes-Picot agreement with the French to carve up the Arab lands between themselves. 3 They introduced the Balfour declaration which promised the Zionists their own state in the area. As can be seen, these promises were contradictory and not realistic.

Much of the post WW1 peace treaty was about self-determination and the rights of ethnic/national groups to form their own countries....as long as they did not interfere with British/French or Italian interests too much. So in Europe, we seen the creation of countries that never existed before like Czechslovakia/Yugoslavia and the re-emergence of countries that had not existed for over 100 years, Poland/Lithuania etc. As part of this nation building, there was a commission of enquiry into the claims for a new state with representatives sent to establish the potential of any new state, this was led by Woodrow Wilson, the US President who was kind of a referee between all the major nations, Britain, France, Italy.

During the discussions at the conference, the British were bullish about having Palestine as a mandate as Balfour had promised it to the Zionists. The following extract is take from a book Paris 1919, by Margaret MacMillan about the Paris Peace conference.

"And Zionism" said Balfour "be it right or wrong, good or bad is rooted in age-long traditions, in present needs or in future hopes of far profounder import than the desires and prejudices of the 700,000 Arabs who now inhabit the land"

Wilson nevertheless insisted that his Commission of Inquiry into the Middle-East include Palestine. The two American Commissioners, reported back at the end of the summer of 1919 that the Arabs in Palestine were "emphatically" against the entire Zionist program and recommended that the Peace conference limit Jewish immigration and give up the idea of making Palestine a Jewish homeland. Nobody paid the slightest attention.

During the Paris Peace conference, Faisal who represented the Arabs was under the impression that any independent Arab state would consist of modern day Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, but due to the self-interests of the British/French and the Sykes-Picot agreement, no independent state was forthcoming with the French being given the mandate for Syria/Lebanon with Faisal as nominal king of Syria and the British convinced him to give up any claim on Palestine which they had ear-marked for the Zionists. So off the 3 agreements made during the war, the only one not kept was that to the Arabs. Britain/France put their own interests ahead of the Arabs.

Jewish emigration to Palestine continued as promised under the British mandate until the point that conflicts broke out, and then the British realising the problems they had created tried to stop Jewish arrivals in Palestine and were reluctant to see the creation of Israel at the end of the mandate as they knew it would be a mess. The UN went ahead and recognised Israel despite every other country in the region being opposed with the Palestinian Arabs again having no input and here we are still wondering how this is still a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yawn, been there, done that, plenty of times, see my much much earlier posts on this thread.

• Advertisement

I don't believe that the concept of rules of engagement are any different to aggressors or defenders. If you are defending for example it doesn't allow you to kill prisoners of war no different if you were the aggressor.

It was hard last night apparently when I was asked to go and find posts. Which I did.

But we'll leave the absence of posts here as I sign that what you are claiming was in no way common by frequent posters on the thread. I've no doubt there were occasional posters posting such for effect, but that isn't the picture being painted here today or over the last couple of weeks.

There's just "the media", not mainstream media. The rest is speculation and hearsay which, if verified or deemed credible, is reported in the media.

From the article; "According to a police source, an investigation of the incident also revealed that an IDF combat helicopter that arrived at the scene from the Ramat David base fired at the terrorists and apparently also hit some of the revelers who were there."

So when a helicopter attacks terrorists there can be collateral damage. Yes, we know that. That's what's happening in Gaza but on a larger scale.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

""taught from birth to hate" - what are you on about? Do you mean the catholic education that we all received?

In case you haven't noticed nobody's been paying a blind bit of notice about what the church thinks in this country for at least 30 years. If they did we wouldn't have voted overwhelmingly against their point of view in all manner of referenda.

I think you just want to believe that Irish people, by and large, support the Palestinian plight for any other reason rather than how the Israeli's treat them. I'm not sure why that is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Unless it was the Palestinians gassing the Jews in Aushwitz your point makes no sense.

The horrors inflicted upon the Jewish people by the Nazis (and all of the prior pogroms in other countries) don't give them a free pass to treat the Palestinians the way that they do.

He just thinks we are bigots. He has no evidence for that outside of we dont support Israel in this conflict.

Also a nice attempt at history but missing major context. As I said the War fostered and financed by the British in the Arabian Peninsula from the turn of the 20th Century, which resulted in mass killings, maiming's, mass displacement of people and oppression of all minorities, was to prevent the Arab state that you mentioned. The creation of Syria and Jordan as modern States predates the creation of Israel by months, and their recognition by the UN predates the recognition of Israel by those same few months. I'm sure the Hashemites would have preferred to still control most of the Persian Peninsula, just as the Egyptians always had their eye on Suez, and eventually took it. The whole enterprise was intrinsically colonial with the British in particular looking to maintain access to India through Suez and control of their Coaling Stations in the region.

Of course the Arabs in the region were against the Jews getting their land back. Why would they be in favour of it? But Partition and moving ethnic groups was the solution of the day. It was done in India, it was done in Turkey and it was done to the Jews across the Muslim world. It's the presentation of the creation of Israel as a unique event that I have a problem with, not to mention blaming the Jews alone for suffering of the Palestinian Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Not so much "misunderstand",I think as being unaware of many of the (large) details of the whole historical picture.

I was very unaware that the Jewish population was (forcibly?) resettled like that .

However,yes I am aware of the ways they were "persuaded" to leave Arab lands like Egypt(as well as some just preferring to move to what would become Israel.

I feel like one of the Americans we laugh about who apparently learn geography as a result of their various wars overseas.(even though I actually lived through the Suez crisis "in situ" and so have something of a head start in that respect.)

My issue with this debate isn't the criticism of Israel's actions in Gaza, as I think much of the criticism is warranted, rather it is the framing of the conflict as something that Israel started and then perpetuates in isolation. The only way that Israel ends this in isolation is if they decide to exterminate themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Absolute nonsense, and tbh, describing the Irish attitude as 'hate' is almost verging on anti-Semitism with it's disregard for what the Jews suffered historically at the hands of those who actually hated them

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

The creation of Israel was a unique event. Ethnic groups were moved around, but nowhere else was there a case like Zionism who sought to move to lands outside the continent where they lived to create a a new state. Of course there was the colonial states, US, Australia, South Africa etc. Do you consider the creation of Israel to be the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,521 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Another day another couple of kids murdered by the IDF in the West bank, its as if they're trying to illicit a response so they can start bombing there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

That is absolute nonsense. I grew up in the 80’s/90’s and there was no messaging about hating Jews… you’re reaching

They’re all banned. Trolls. All previously addressed. There is no one on this thread supporting Hamas. Questioning Israelis ethics and morals on this conflict is not supporting Hamas for the millionth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Russia intends to introduce a petition to be voted on at the UNSC for a peacekeeping force to be put in place to prevent more deaths and to ensure food, energy and medical supplies to the city are delivered.

Sounds reasonable, difficult to see anyone opposed to that.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Source for this please. It was never just Jewish land. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I haven't seen anyone defend Hamas. Maybe you could find the posts for us? Whatever about them having tunnels they would be mad not to as shelter against the bombing campaign waged on those innocents with no tunnels. The Command Centre has not been found in the hospital regardless of what the IDF said. It was an excuse for bombing and attacking the hospital. 6,000 innocent children murdered makes the IDF as bad as Hamas. Both murder machines without any morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And what do you call claiming that Hamas didn't kill as many as alleged, that no rapes were committed, that they didn't behead children, that they treated hostages very well? At the very least it's downplaying their actions, at worst spreading blatant Hamas propaganda.

Convenient to write them all off as trolls though. an almost 10 year old account with a couple of thousand posts? Some effort for a "troll". Pretty sure that person really held those views based on their previous posts on different subjects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We can see every day what they're doing - killing women and children (6,000 children).

Advertisement