Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Who bolts monitors to the desk? That makes no sense!

Sorry to hear of your sight in one eye. I do mean that.

Still has nothing to do with this thread.

I'm a middle aged, white Irish male. Working class (hate that term) background. You can count the amount of **** without fingers I give about complaining about people who don't choose to better themselves and complain or are privileged people who don't have a worry and chat about their activism over an expensive bottle wine.

It's parenting full stop. Teachers aren't parents. Deis schools have resources I could only dream about. I'm sending my youngest to a school that's cost me a fortune to get that level of facilities.

I didn't get a boost up in my life because I'm a white Irish male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't agree that privilege is earned... it is awarded , inherited, or granted as well as earned . Otherwise agree with your posts.

Your problem with vision is a loss of ability.

There are many able bodied people in the workplace who take this privilege for granted , and while nobody should be made feel guilty, that would be ridiculous , just being aware that not everybody shares that privilege would make life easier for those with less able bodied workers . The IT guy for example could ask where on the desk you want your monitor placed ( and hopefully not offer to place it somewhere out of the sun ;) )

This is just an example of how these lessons could be applied without everybody getting their ..knickers/ boxers , in a twist .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Not at all, the next logical step is to develop processes which reduce the barriers which other people may experience which aren’t an issue for you, and by that same token other people who are equally exposed to the concept will develop processes which reduce the barriers you may experience due to barriers which are issues for you!

Reciprocity if you like, rather than enabling people playing the victim.

It’s true that teachers aren’t parents, it’s also true that parents send their children to schools to be educated by teachers acting in loco parentis - in place of the parents.

DEIS schools have resources that you could only dream about, but those resources don’t belong to the children who attend those schools who need the extra resources in order to be educated to the same level as your children that you’re paying a fortune for!

You didn’t get a boost up because you’re a white Irish male, and neither did anyone else solely on account of being a white, Irish or male. The school is getting the boost there, in order to provide education to children who attend the school.

Never said I went to a deis school.

Please explain your overall point. I'm curious. So disadvantage areas get more money without characterisations of skin colour, nationality or sex? I'd hope so.

I didn’t say you went to a DEIS school either? 😳

Yes, disadvantaged areas get more resources because they are disadvantaged, with the idea being that the children attending the school have the same opportunities in education as every other child.

Nope. Education starts at home not with a new AstroTurf pitch. It's optics and a money grab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

“ lack of access to healthcare “

have you ever been to A + E ?, it’s always full of travellers ? , travellers visit health care facilities for sport as it costs them not a red cent and they have plenty of time on their hands

you’re post is absolute nonsense

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

I agree with you that education starts in the home, but that has nothing to do with the a school receiving funds to construct an astroturf pitch. Optics would be receiving funding for a digital whiteboard at a cost of about €8k for one that’s all bells and whistles, now that’s a total cash grab! 😂

Would I wish to deprive them of it though? Much as I think it’s overkill, I’m just not that petty really, it’s a small thing in the grand scheme of things. Same with the astroturf pitch - I’d imagine it could be justified in terms of providing the children with opportunities for physical education.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

If you want to see privileged, have a look at what punishment all these people will get for this. None I bet. But if you or I attacked someones house like this they would lock us up and throw away the key. I doubt very much anything will happen to these guys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterford/comments/1619h6a/any_idea_where_in_dungarvan_this_is/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=3&utm_content=1

No? Sure you’re hardly arguing that a DEIS school should be deprived of an astroturf pitch are you? Because that would be petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

“This is a watershed moment for Irish prisons. We now have a prison population that is growing at a worrying rate and without strong action from government the problems caused by this rapid rate of increase will continue.”

Replace the word "prison" with nearly any other crisis in the country, and bobs your uncle.

Everything is connected. Easily. The title of this thread, that thread, this problem, that problem. Commonality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In an era of infinite demand on services, we all have to pretend to be outraged that there isn't a perfectly scaling infinite supply to respond. Hence every crisis Ireland is currently facing being addressed as some random event which fell out of the sky. Rather than a perfectly predictable quagmire which people identified from the 1990s onwards, and even before then. Meanwhile the demand on services keeps on increasing.

The official solution as always is to somehow, someway, increase supply to match infinite demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I see UCD is signing a anti-racism comment in September. Part of the document lists a commitment to race equality across students and staff. I don't know what this means. How do they propose they bench mark it? Whatever about students, but the idea that UCD staff should match the proportion of black people in Ireland is ludricious. You wont be finding many senior academics in many fields from the Irish black population. Sure you can find them from the global population but that would exactly be breaking these (imaginary) glass ceilings.

• Advertisement

To describe it as a mugs game is too easy.

Everything is overcrowded, everything is suddenly lacking.

That's all we ever hear

Meanwhile, the totally, totally, swear to God, totally, dont-even-think-it concomitant gigantic increase in population is pure coincidence.

All is connected, from the insipid attempts to reconcile children to ignore reality through outlandish racist propaganda, right through to there nor being enough guards, everything is easily connected.

No lizard people here, just simple cause and effect.

Will you stop.

You know exactly what I was saying.

Funding is not an issue for deis schools. No issues here with extra dosh to give a leg up. Happy about it in fact...if it works.

Your posts are not as smart as you think they are. Bit of gaslighting thrown in for good measure. 👍

I DO know exactly what you’re saying, it’s why I wasn’t accusing you of being petty, while I take your point that it looks like a cash grab. As you’re saying - it’s a DEIS school, happy for them to have the extra dosh to give them a leg up, because it benefits the children to be able to have opportunities they otherwise wouldn’t have if it weren’t for the school receiving the extra funding.

I don’t agree though that funding isn’t an issue for DEIS schools, they still have to organise fundraising events to cover the shortfall in public funding in order to cover their costs or if they wish to offer parents better education for their children that the parents couldn’t normally afford to provide themselves.

I wasn’t trying to be smart or trying to gaslight you.

Apologies so.

It has to come from home though. I know quite a few teachers there who are at their wits end. They care, but what can you do?

A great initiative is the TAP programme (trinity access programme). Seems to work very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

If there is "white privilege" then there has to be black privilege and Asian privilege and male privilege and female privilege and age privilege.....or essentially it's all used as a scapegoat by a particular group of a particular ideology for the various challenges we all face in life. But that's not what this is about. "White privilege" might or might not be appropriate to the United States - where (perceived) racial inequality is a major issue. But to strong arm a version of this political theory into Irish schools is for nothing more than a narrative.

• Advertisement

"We're specifically targeting this group of children based on ethnicity..."

Yeah, that's all you need to know.

Peadar Tóibín parliamentary question to Norma Foley

Foley evades the question as to why skin color white is dishonestly associated with the Americanized construct of "privilege". Such contempt! Irish people are not the 'privileged' beneficiaries of history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Even if it’s “good intentions”, you can see how promoting and encouraging people to think of themselves more so as an ethnic or tribal group within a country, rather than a common national identity can lead to troubles down the road.

especially when certain groups are identified as having “privilege”, basically having favoured status, needing some sort of remediation. leading to resentments on all sides, who will perceive discrimination against the identity they belong to (are have been assigned to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

All I have to say is please fook off with your americanised horseshit. Anyone with half a brain cell can see through it as such

That's exactly what somebody with white Irish privilege would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It seems like we are just desperate to follow other countries down the toilet so I guess we might as well welcome it as it's being cheered on by our virtuous leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its hard to tell reality from parody in 2023

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

How sad and pathetic is that; a bunch of zombies talking to each other.

What baffles me is how anyone can look at how US culture war politics has impacted that country, and then come to the conclusion that this is the kind of divisiveness we should introduce here.

The only conclusion I can come to is that those promoting it actively want to cause that division for ulterior motives.

It must be absolutely resisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭bloopy

The bit at the end is like a responsorial psalm at a mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The more honest reply would have been "white women look fvcking stupid with braids you gobsh1te".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

How often have innocent lone males being at the wrong end of an unprovoked assault?

All of what you describe above I agree is totally wrong but the world we live in is not a nice place and being a white male does not make it any better.

I hate racism and discrimination in every form but if you go to an African country as a white person let me know how that works out for you.

Anybody that stands out for any reason tends to get negative attention from SOME people.

When I was attending school all the teachers and students were white native Irish.

Back then people who were poor got bullied people who any kind of disability or disfigurement lived a nightmare.

I judge people as individuals based on THEIR behaviour and THEIR words.

I think people from the upperclass trying to lecture people from disadvantaged backgrounds about privilege is insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I just saw the twitter thread. The woke Social Democrats have a councillor that is trying to hush up anyone who is understandably outraged by this. And the school in question has deleted its twitter and the twitter of the principal. No doubt due to "harassment" and not getting exposed.

When I was being taught religion in school in the early 00's, it was a doss subject that no one, even the teachers really believed in. Well now, this is the new religion and the parents and their children absolutely must believe it or else face ostracism from the state institutions they pay for.

Gentlemen, things are not going well for our democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Worries are small these days in school if someone gets all outraged over a white girl wearing braids.

Bog bodies have been fouund with braided hairstyles dating from the Iron Age so its not as if big bad whitey has been stealing any ideas from Africans.

We are raising a generation of kids who will be afraid to do anything in case someone gets offended.

Post edited by Galwayguy35 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,626 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You'd miss the AH woke thread with craic like this. 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Advertisement

This Wednesday, 18th October, is the last day you can submit feedback via the online survey and via Email to sphedevelopments@ncca.ie

Get em in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Norma Foley gives her view on the draft curriculum...

Fecking hilarious.

Might write to her and say she's racist and sexist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Can literally see her cheeks going red answering the question. If the draft said what she said, people would most likely agree with her.

I wasn't aware that there was a compilation of this much self-hatred. Of all the self-hating morons who prattle on about 'white privilege', the worst are those who would convince the Irish people that they - a historically brutalized and impoverished people - have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Cordell

Between white Irish who grew up in the poor Ireland of the 80s and white eastern Europeans who grew up in the poor parts of Europe the blacks who are born and raised in Ireland are the ones that are privileged.

Change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have to laugh at this rubbish.

Privileged!!!

My father was born and lived in a house with no indoor toilet.

My mother studied in school by candlelight, no electricity, and had to borrow books from other children.

What a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

These people are completely nuts, you'd often wonder what bloody planet are they living on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭archfi

Extraordinary. Notice the women and their 'intersectional lens'

Notice the very weak men.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Thats a fantastic list of idiots people should avoid voting for in the next GE. To think with the salaries they are on and the issues this country has, that they are wasting valuable Dail Chamber time on absolute nonsense.

It makes the Dail look like an infants class, maybe someone should have handed them some Play-Doe or some colouring books and crayons.

No wonder the country is in such a mess if that is the level of discussion being had regarding the running of the country.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jayus lads were fauqed if this is what our children are going to be forced to learn

• Advertisement
Advertisement