Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Raw Superthread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Commercial free for the first hour tonight too. I think I'll have to stay up and watch some of it at least🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Commercial free but loads of WWE's own ads for Smackdown, NXT, shop, etc.

Will watch tomorrow after work but should be interesting. Who will interrupt whom? I mean Judgement Day lost so they may want to open the show. Team Cody may want to open with Randy and, of course, Punk.

TNT will take ads

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

A bit of a 'Raw after mania' feel to this episode

Apparently Orton opening with Punk closing as per dirt sheets on Twitter X

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It can wait until the morning and I'll watch it on Reddit then. Not sitting through 3 hours of Raw for it.

The "Steiner" Creeds are impressing in the tag gauntlet match

Daddy Orton not finished with Bloodline and now Judgement Day too

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just watched his promo and it was very PG Punk in the WWE it could have been a Rock or Cena promo just hitting all the WWE by the numbers points.

Also was surprised the pop was so small when he walked out.

The key thing I took from it was the line he is there to make money.

And do as he is told I'm guessing if he wants to make that money. I'd say the WWE legal went in big on his contract and acting the fcuk on his half and he is out and losing money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Yeah I thought his return promo at Collision was a lot more explosive, took a lot of shots in that one.

This felt a bit watered down. He played it very safe with all the right WWE buzz words put in.

Still very interested to see where they go with him now. I think he’s a big plus for RAW ratings

Post edited by Officer999 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tony Khan said he couldn’t talk about Punk for legal reasons.

I’d wager that Punk also can’t talk about AEW either for the same reasons, or at least was told to just ignore them to avoid any risks.

Also, let’s be honest, WWE barely have acknowledged AEWs existence on Tv. The chances of a Punk promo being anything else were pretty slim. There’s no way the leash won’t be kept tight in Punk and that he’s not been told one “shoot” comment they don’t like and he’ll be gone again. He will be scripted heavily enough for a while, to earn trust.

Ultimately, they don’t need much more right now though. A Corporate Sell Out Punk character probably has more legs in him right now anyway. Having Seth calling him a hypocrite, having Punk say he’s there for money and not friends, there’s more than enough room for WWE to book him in that more cookie cutter role and benefit from it. Seth vs Punk is a Mania level match they can build towards over the coming months, and WWE don’t necessarily NEED Ounk to be the pipe bomb dropper (in so far as, if it doesn’t work out or if his star fades back a bit, they’re still in an amazing place).

The Creed Brothers are great. I didn’t see much on NXT but I really like their style for that tag division.

And the crowd are goin to go nuts when Randy drops Rhea. Wonder if they can hold off till Mania for that RKO.

Yeah Rollins Punk is taking the same trajectory of Jimmy and Jey for Mania. Little embers starting to burn early.

Tbh it doesn't even need to be for the belt it's such a big match (but probably will be). They could give Drew a run with the title and have another Mania feud between him and Sami for example.

Randy though, man the emotion from him before he did his pose was great to see, you can tell he's just in such a good place off screen and now getting to come back and do what he does is a bonus for him.

Props to the R-Truth segment too, another return that maybe went slightly under the radar given what happened with Randy and Punk. He never ever ages🤣

Thank God I didn't stay up until for 4am for that. A heap of nothing.

The "I'm home" line was good trolling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

McIntyre making himself bleed on that headbutt was a great visual.

I took Punk's mention of a wise man as seeding for putting Rollins and Reigns in front of him. He's never won a Rumble after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sam Roberts mentioned that the idea of a rumble match where everyone is out to get Punk would be good. Maybe do that Roman screws him over and they have the in between RR and WM feud and leave it open for them to go their separate ways with Cody and Seth. Would require Cody winning the rumble again which is probably not ideal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pity there wasn't a line either about being back in the Big leagues or that the bucks I'm earning here aren't counterfeit.

Probably best for everyone if Punk's promos are toned down for a while, there's lots of interesting feuds and stories for Punk in the WWE without a need for any shoot or worked shoot style promos.

Apparently he did a "victory lap" just as they were going off air á la the Young Bucks on Collision the week after he left. That was the extent of his shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I kept forgetting Survivor Series was on Saturday instead of Sunday so every time Punk mentioned Saturday I thought he was about to take a dig at Collision.

But yeah considering what Rollins said, Punk was pretty mild. But we got an AJ mention. Hope we get to see her back in some capacity at some point as well.

So Nak's target was Cody. But who's Becky's? Rhea or Nia?

I was surprised Cody was Shinsuke's target, interesting feud but ultimately Cody will go over

I think Punk's time was cut as Randy Dom went over

It was an interesting timid promo from Punk, everyone was probably expecting AEW, Seth digs etc., but he just wants the money which he probably is getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah unfortunately that promo was fairly underwhelming which is a shame.

Just came off as fake. Should be mentioned that the line about about being there to make money might be a Scott Hall reference. I didn't expect him to shoot on AEW tbh, not sure why people did. Possible NDA aside, WWE barely ever mention AEW and making such a big moment into exposure for a competitor would be dumb.

I was hoping we'd get a confrontation, mainly as Punk works better as a promo when he has a target to aim at. I'd love to tell myself this is going to lead to some mammoth heel turn or something but really just a nuts and bolts promo which is step down for him. I also think this whole face Punk welcome home shtick shouldn't last long, we had that from AEW already and in general, give us something more interesting. Rollins programme could be great though, eventually.

Outside of that, Raw was decent but not the barnburner I hoped it would be. Creeds looked impressive for sure, opening promo with Randy and Rhea was great, when he hits her with an RKO the place will become unglued.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm guessing we see a long slow burn where Seth keeps refusing to acknowledge or fight Punk, treating him as an irrelevance the same way he did tonight, so Punk wins Rumble and calls the Seth fight. To stop things getting stagnant with that belt in the meantime, could even see a situation where Seth loses it soon, continues to dodge Punk, and then gets a later title shot again down the line (maybe even at the Rumble, or maybe later than that) - with Punk interfering to win it for Seth, so that Seth has to accept the challenge after Punk wins the RR.

Cody and Roman can be made happen some other way, getting reignited in the run up to WM.

Barring the Rock signing up for a Roman match, it feels like Seth/Punk, Jimmy/Jay, and Cody/Roman are all likelihoods for WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

There's mileage in Punk being the one guy Rollins-who accepts any challenge-won't face on principle, and the one guy Reigns doesn't want to face cause Punk was longest WWE champ of the 'modern era' (w/ Heyman at his side too).

Well Punk didn't bump the ratings really.

Either did Orton

Either R-Truth, though I would have tuned in for the Truth if I lived in America.

However having to sit through 3 hours of a RAW to wait for Punk I don't blame anyone for dropping out or not watching to be honest.

Wow ok then I had't realised RAW's ratings been so bad then for so long if 1.8m viewers is considered brilliant.

Got to say fair play then to Vince for being able to get billions off the cable channels for that viewership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

On Punk's promo, what shots did people expect him to take? Shots at AEW? Do you think WWE would even approve giving them relevance on their TV putting aside talk of an NDA?

The promo aped much of his debut promo on Ramage and it was clearly by design, topped off with his line into the camera about being here to make money. He was being purposefully fake and by the numbers, which will feed into Seth's promos.

A mild promo if you take it literal, but if you read between the lines it sets the foundations for what's to come.

Punk being the corporate sell out being "only there to make money" is the whole angle with Cena that started the Summer of Punk coming full circle. Rollins as the working champ taking on all comers but not getting the main events, similar to how Punk was booked during his own title reign at the time. It fits, it works, it will make a lot of money.

A Slow burner. I doubt Punk even has a match bar possibly the Rumble before Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm sorry man but I can't tell are you just trying to wind people up or trying to be petty.

"Raw's ratings didn't improve with Punk"... "I'm actually not even aware what their ratings usually are, they suck regardless".

When it comes to cable ratings, 1.8 is a good number. For example, 1.884 which RAW got would put it ahead of half of the episodes of HBO's House of the Dragon (Live TV+DVR) viewership. Granted HBO is it's own separate cable package (stuff like that is incidentally why they are quick to shout about ratings over a longer period of time and the streaming numbers now). There's only a few shows on cable you could say are bringing a massive number these days, outside of live sports and news.

Channels weren't paying just for the numbers (which are good) but also for the fact that they have a consistent audience that stays generally high and has a programme that does not go off the air. Scripted shows are great but how do you keep an audience when the season is over. Sports audiences can genearally be higher but those sports have an off-season. Wrestling doesn't and live viewership is important to advertisers as it's more likely to keep viewers engaged and pay attention to advertising.

You could look at the demos (remember when that was the way people insisted we measure wrestling) or look at how RAW is up quite a bit year over year, which is impressive considering ratings in general are falling nowadays. Either way, the number is decent. I'm not going to say it couldn't have been higher with Punk. They actually started over 2 million but dropped over time but the number itself is decent and as pointed out above, did show boosts.

I just don't get the need to be so hostile over ratings, especially when you haven't much of a leg to stand on. By your own logic if a viewership at 1.8 isn't worth much money, what does that say about a potential deal for AEW who could only dream of a number like that at this point. That's not dissing AEW's ratings, they have drawn good numbers too but this just seems like pointless stirring.

Advertisement