Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

How can i be offended by someone so clearly either on the wind up. As before if you are not on the wind up you obviously don't know anything about football.

5-1 Villa

8-0 Sheff Utd

4-1 PSG

4-0 Palace

3-0 Man Utd

4-1 Chelsea

Boring. As. Hell.

🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I said I don’t watch them much, not this season anyway. I recall watching them v Arsenal last season and I said I’d avoid watching them again if there was another game on. I was talking about the game last night and for a club with the money they’ve got I found them boring. They were there to park the bus and I’m not a PSG fan but I was delighted that Newcastle didn’t get the 3 points.

I assume you mean the game last season at the Emirates. I agree it was backs to the wall. We fought hard and gained a point, opening away to a team who finished 2nd is hardly a sensible game plan.

Just like last night, away to a giant of European football. It's hardly going to be free flowing expansive football. Needs must in certain games and in both of the above games we have gained results.

We are clearly not a boring team to watch, in fact we are superb to watch for the most part. Maybe you should watch some more of our games to see that. If i had to hazard a guess you're an Arsenal fan so you're disdain towards us is understandable considering the manner of our deserved victory a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I have no interest in watching them and will avoid them unless there’s nothing better on. They’re your team mate watch them all you like.

Ok.

Confine your viewing of Newcastle to away games against elite European teams such as Arsenal and PSG.

You will then of course be in the best possible position to form a very balanced and fair view about how bad a team we are.

About as sensible as your manager has been in the wake of Joelinton's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

7 shots on target is pretty respectable, Newcastle were good but psg had a host of huge close range changes spurned in the second half by muani, dembele and barcola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They don't say tbf but we both agree on the handball and that's the one causing outrage so I am making an assumption it's that and not the Gordon one.

I do admit it seems strange to stand down the var for the handball but not the ref who ultimately made the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The var was in action this evening. The ref is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

7 shots on target is one thing (much higher than the average of 4.5 shots on target per game per team in this season's CL), but that ignores all the shots (big chanves) that went wide from close range shots and that is why xG is so useful as it puts a value on the chance rather than just on/off. A player can miss from 6 yards out by blowing it over the bar and that is a big chance which is shown in xG but is not shown in an specific on/off model.

You can get a better idea of how a game flowed with xG rather than just using on/off shots. Of course goals is the real defining metric but it sometimes doesn't tell the full story of how a game played out over the 90 mins. Those Mourinho games down through the years being some examples.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But xg will not take into account a rebound that might then lead to a second shot or third shot that should also be considered the one chance and not 3 separate chances and it a not uncommon occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Welcome to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Great finish from Garnacho. Never seen a ref tell a player how he should celebrate a goal.

Gala looking dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

How they can give a pen last night but not there I can’t understand.

• Advertisement

Wow wow what a stunning finish from Fernandes.

That shut the angry fans up immediately. Watch it back live if you missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

It wasn't a penalty in a million years last night, so its not a fair comparison. The VAR official has been dropped as result.

That one was touch and go, it did look like McTominay tried to move his arm back and out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mistake or not I'm getting sick of this performative bullsht of standing down or relegating an official to the lower leagues for a few weeks.

Fans who require this public flogging are such sad little b1tches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Agreed on this, almost as annoying as the conspiracy theories that the fans of almost every team in the Top 6/7 of the PL have that VAR deliberately works against their team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Onana..... what a keeper..... shocking again.

That's disgracefully embarrassing from Onana there. He tried to fist punch the ball away there. Crazy decision. How can you put up with that as your goalkeeper?

So so easy to score against United. It's incredible how little to no control they have over a football game.

I definitely expect another one or two for Gala here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

What a 1st touch that was for the 3rd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a rocket 3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Interesting to hear the commentator; "There's a winner in this for Manchester United!", completely against the flow of what we're actually watching... like, objectively, you've got to fancy the team who've scored the last two and are dominating the later stages of the game...

Neither team seems bothered closing down runners from midfield.

It looks like it's 5 v 5 and neither side know how to defend.

Great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Brilliant game this

Gripping stuff alright - though at what stage do Gala start shoring things up? It's United that have to win, a draw is grand for Gala as long as Copenhagen don't beat Bayern (unlikely) later. They've got Copenhagen in the last game - hold the draw here, and beat Copenhagen and they're guaranteed to finish second.

• Advertisement

This is insane. It’s like an over 40s 5 aside of a Thursday night

What the fuk just happened there.

That was a great watch in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Great stuff, very much helped by the fact that Gala went a bit suicidal after getting the equalizer, going all out attack despite a draw being a great result for them. Any other game, the team in their position would be bringing it to the corner, time wasting, and slowing things down at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think it was this thread I previously compared Onana to Karius. That was doing Karius a disservice. Onana is worse. Cost his team again tonight.

Were Copenhagen to beat Bayern, Man Utd will be out. More likely all 3 will still be in the mix next week though making for more excitement in that group.

Hard to see beyond Bayern and Gala at this stage alright though, if Gala need a win against Copenhagen I reckon they'll just go get it (though a draw might well be enough for them too).

Meanwhile, Bayern haven't lost a group stage match since 2017 - crazy record!

There's something really satisfying when each player in an attack all score in a game - Arsenal just done that, with Havertz, Jesus, Saka, and Martinelli with one each today now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You can add Odegaard in for good measure too 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

My God the TNT commentary are so bad. The bayern coach was going to be booked the ref calling him over does not move and finally just shows the yellow. They just argue he was right. It was a corner not given. The main commentator went the fourth official should just say it was a corner. The other guy goes not allowed and the other goes ya but still argues it still should be done

Useless last night for the Milan match too.

Said on a number of occasions that the "Dortmund fans were making all the noise" when it was clearly well used Milan chants. Said Pioli was "uncharacteristically out of his seat" a few times too.

Don't understand why the have the best post match analysis team in UK broadcasting but allow these clowns who seem to never watch football during games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They also sound like they are sitting in a room sprawled out with one line cliches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Neuer keeping united CL hopes alive, incredible save just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

VAR really covering themselves in glory between Bayern tonight and Newcastle last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 5 Results

Group A

FC Bayern München (GER) 0 V 0 FC Copenhagen (DEN)

Galatasaray A.Ş. (TUR) 3 V 3 Manchester United FC (ENG)

Group B

Arsenal FC (ENG) 6 V 0 RC Lens (FRA)

Sevilla FC (ESP) 2 V 3 PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Group C

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 4 V 2 SSC Napoli (ITA)

SC Braga (POR) 1 V 1 1. FC Union Berlin (GER)

Group D

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) 0 V 0 FC Salzburg (AUT)

SL Benfica (POR) 3 V 3 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

Group E

Feyenoord (NED) 1 V 3 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

S.S. Lazio (ITA) 2 V 0 Celtic FC (SCO)

Group F

AC Milan (ITA) 1 V 3 Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 1 V 1 Newcastle United (ENG)

Group G

BSC Young Boys (SUI) 2 V 0 FK Crvena zvezda (SRB)

Manchester City FC (ENG) 3 V 2 RB Leipzig (GER)

Group H

FC Barcelona (ESP) 2 V 1 FC Porto (POR)

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 1 V 0 Royal Antwerp FC (BEL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 6

Tuesday 12th December

17:45 Kick-offs

Group B

PSV Eindhoven (NED) V Arsenal FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sports 2

RC Lens (FRA) V Sevilla FC (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 4

20:00 Kick-offs

Group A

FC Copenhagen (DEN) V Galatasaray A.Ş. (TUR) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Manchester United FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on RTE 2 / TNT Sports 1

Group C

1. FC Union Berlin (GER) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 4

SSC Napoli (ITA) V SC Braga (POR) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Group D

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 6

FC Salzburg (AUT) V SL Benfica (POR) - Live on TNT Sports 8

Wednesday 13th December

17:45 Kick-offs

Group G

FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) V Manchester City FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sports 2

RB Leipzig (GER) V BSC Young Boys (SUI) - Live on TNT Sports 3

20:00 Kick-offs

Group E

Celtic FC (SCO) V Feyenoord (NED) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V S.S. Lazio (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 4

Group F

Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Live on TNT Sports 3

Newcastle United (ENG) V AC Milan (ITA) - Live on Virgin Media Two / TNT Sports 1

Group H

FC Porto (POR) V FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Royal Antwerp FC (BEL) V FC Barcelona (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Very quiet here for last game day in the group stages.

Come on Bayern & Harry Kane! 😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sevilla finishing bottom of their group having been in top seeds due to the Europa League win is probably not the shock it should be.

Little or nothing to play for outside of United who have their own thread.

United in with a shout now that McGuire is off injured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement