Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

They have exceptional backs even outside of Lawlor, Deegan and Butler.

David Fogarty has been excellent and Jordan Molloy wing back has been phenomenal all year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Paraic Moylan outstanding for the Boro yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭usualstripes

To be honest these are poor comments. Lyng is the manager and if he wants them to contribute and they are willing to do so then that's good. Yes they are there for years but they can still contribute and having their experience around the panel is a positive. Walter can still change a game and even though he won't be an automatic starter he will give 100% for the cause.

I agree entirely even in the Walsh cup these older players are invaluable at that stage to bring on some of the new lads. There is nothing like hurling beside a man with experience and it gives the young lads every chance to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

"Some poster(s)" have forgotten more about the game than you'll ever know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Unbelievably there are just 2 (TWO) games (The u21 A semi final and the B Final) next weekend and somebody in their eternal wisdom decided to play them both at the same time. No game on Sunday at all. Not only does this rule people out of going to both u21 games but anyone who goes to one of these games can't go to either the O'Loughlins game or the Boro camogie game now either.

This is beyond stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

That is ridiculous alright, no thought put into it at all. U21 is a great grade as well, pity time of year it is played.

County board has to do something about the Leinster club fixtures also, none of the three teams had a single home game, how could that be the case. Clubs are enjoying the journey but tullogher will have had 4 away games, thomastown 3 and loughlins will have had two and then croke park sunday. That is expense on the clubs and the supporters.

If Thomastown were to win the u21 semi against the village and the Leinster intermediate against Bray, then they will play the All ireland semi final on 16th of December meaning u21 final would be 23rd of December. Very late finish but Village will have plenty to say about that Saturday I'm sure.

i think last year KK had home games but didn’t progress far enough to take full advantage Danesfort were beaten at home to a Dublin team and blacks and whites had their first game at home at least. I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Kilkenny please get real. Ye are a good top 5 team and no higher.

Wally was shocking bad in the final. 2 terrible wides and a ball into Nicki Quaid ...and a free against him for pulling Will O Donoghue. He was a liability. I didnt even realise Fogarty was playing until he got dispossessed after a solo in the secondhalf. Both were very very good players for Kilkenny 5 years ago.

I cant even talk about Buckley. Honest as the day is long but he wouldn't be within an asses roar of an All Ireland team. We ll see how it plays out . I think Kilkenny have much better younger options and ye are just holding back for another year the inevitable rebuild.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I didnt even realise Fogarty was playing until he got dispossessed after a solo in the secondhalf.

I thought he was taken off at HT??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Fogarty went off at halftime with a rib injury if I’m not mistaken

Come out of the fog boy 🤣

He had injured ribs and didn't start the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Missed a few months after that injury and the relegation final was the first full match he played with the club after the all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

And yet you'd think he was the only one who was poor on the panel according to some poster/s

Let the manager do his job as regards the older players , if he deems them good enough he will retain them if not he will let them go, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

I told you 12 months ago these lads gone past it

finding it hard to give up car and expense's all they are doing is stoping young people progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Second is the first looser

and as long as Buckley fogarty Walter Donnely Keoghan and billy ryan there that’s all we will be is second

fogarty had a good block in 70 minutes

in 35 in all Ireland he did not puck the ball

I said it last year and how right I was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Wally and Buckley were used more as subs the last few years and starting wally backfired in the all Ireland.Done well in a few matches when he came on. Lyng and Cody have tried the whole county in midfield and Fogarty infairness emptied himself and they brought on Cian Kenny when it opened up.

Lyng will definitely have to try and get a few fowards and hope we try find another Tom phelan. Is oisin knox from your club called in he got 2 goals in thomastown . Theres a few starters on the team who are after getting loads of chances alrighr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

What are the pros and cons that people see for this discussion? I don't think it's as straightforward as everyone is saying and I can see merit in arguments on both sides so what do you all see as being the rationale to argue one way or another?

For me personally, I'm leaning towards keeping things as is and below are my reasons.

Keep things as it is

Pros:

Players who come out of minor have a team at U19 to play on which is of more benefit to those who would not make the U21 team at the age of 18 (I'm assuming if it is changed back to U18 that the U19 team will be scrapped resulting in a 3 year gap from minor to the next team at U21).

It means there is no more than a 2 year gap between any team up until U21 which, to me at least, gives clubs a better chance of retaining players.

Cons:

17 is a young age to be leaving the juvenile ranks. If the U19 grade is not given a bit more recognition there is a risk that some 17 year olds leaving minor will stop playing at this point.

Change it back to even years

Pros:

Players have an extra year in the juvenile ranks and don't finish minor until they are 18.

Cons:

Only the strong 18 year olds will have any hurling the following year as those not good enough for U21 have no chance of playing on any team. Even those who can make the U21 team may only be able to play a handful of games at the end of the year as we all know the U21 competition at club level is never given much time.

Conclusion

I think the perception is that the U19 grade is not taken seriously currently and this is the real issue here. I feel if the county board are serious about keeping things as they are, the U19 grade should really be taken under the wing of the Bord na nOg and given a proper window in the annual calendar. Obviously the calendar is already squeezed so this is a challenge but the old way (even numbers) didn't exactly excel at keeping players beyond minor grade so to my way of thinking an U19 team has a better chance of retaining more than a jump from 18 to 21 does.

To put it another way, some lads got as many as 7 games at U19 this year. That's 7 games more than they would have got if we revert back to even numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

U17 is similar to he old u16. Bring back the even numbers and let young adults develop as players in there own environment. Asking 5th years to step into adult dressing rooms is outside there comfort zone. That extra year is massive for them development wise and socially wise. U19 is a non runner due to the leaving cert and fixture congestion in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Will that change though? If the vote goes through to change back to even numbers, those same 5th years (you must be talking about 18 year olds here who are no longer U17) will still be asked to step into adult dressing rooms. The vote won't change that.

If I understand your argument for change Village, it's that you believe the U19 doesn't fit anywhere in the calendar so in your view the gap is from U17 to U21 and this is why you would prefer to change back to U18?

Post edited by Ceist_Beag on

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Cons:

Only the strong 18 year olds will have any hurling the following year as those not good enough for U21 have no chance of playing on any team. Even those who can make the U21 team may only be able to play a handful of games at the end of the year as we all know the U21 competition at club level is never given much time.

Every club has a 2nd adult team now with a lot having a 3rd team. Any young fella with an interest will have plenty opportunity IMO plus they'll have the U21.

Your dead right that every club has adult teams to cater for everyone

It seems that the County Board want to continue with the under 17, 19 and 21. Well they'd want to take all of those age groups seriously and treat them with respect. As recently as last Sunday they provided no sideline officials or umpires at an under 21 semi final. Hardly the way to sell their preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Whats yere opinion on the OLG game tomorrow?

Good chance?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Neewollah

I think it will be the easiest game OLG have in Leinster if I'm being honest

If O'Loughlins were playing Naas I'd expect a very close match. Na Fianna beat Naas, so they can't be too bad. Hard to predict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

U19 and and u21 are played from August onwards, the new u18 can be played from March/April onwards. It makes no sense to keep the u17 competition, as I stated earlier it is like the old u16 and players are to young making the step up to adult hurling. U19 is not the answer due to numerous reason and is a failure. Clubs are losing to many players or some of the players are not making the step up.

Advertisement