Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Is there something up with real time data output. I use bustimes.org to track buses as the real time is very inaccurate in the evenings. Nothing showing today for any buses I've checked that I know are running?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If the AVL is turned off or updating, they won't track. Same as if a bus goes 'Off Route' it disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The AVL must be working though as the real time data was fairly accurate this evening. No buses I tried on bustimes.org (C3, C4, 52, X25, X28) show any map tracking which is why I was wondering whether it was to do with sharing data with outside or an IP address change that bustimes.org aren't aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Looks like a specific website issue - the Transit app is showing live positions. It happens from time to time.

• Advertisement

Further update, the 44 is now also taking the correct route, bypassing the stops at the LUAS stop. Bad news is that the new stop on the bypass still doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I saw some interesting obversations on the L25 route earlier today.

There was an EV used on the one of the early L25 runs to Dundrum Luas this morning.

A few minutes later; a L25 bus was going out to service to Dún Laoghaire passing Annaville Terrace at around 6:30am this morning. The bus, which was an Green/Yellow SG, had all of the lights switched on inside and outside of the bus. However the bus display said it was out of service. It was very odd seeing it like that because the bus had stopped for passengers on Benamore Road when it went to Dún Laoghaire this morning.

Also there was no vehicle traffic on the road itself at that time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Not really that surprising considering it's not a cross city route so wouldn't require dual door buses all the time and Donnybrook have recently brought a number of buses out of storage for this phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The NTA CEO Anne Graham has said to the Oireachtas Transport Committee that integrated ticketing won't be available on Dublin City Services until 2025.

She said that the NTA are currently looking for suppliers of this tender at the moment. It will require a complete replacement of all of the ticket machines in the Dublin City bus fleet along with a new I.T. system to support the new infrastructure.

Billy Hann of Dublin Bus has said that car ownership in Dublin has doubled to 2.2 million cars over a 20 year period from 1995 to 2015.

There is also 711 drivers being recruited and trained with Dublin Bus since January 2022 and 99 drivers being trained with GAI for BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

She said that the NTA are currently looking for suppliers of this tender at the moment. It will require a complete replacement of all of the ticket machines in the Dublin City bus fleet along with a new I.T. system to support the new infrastructure.

considering this has been talked about for years, how are they only tendering for it now? I'm pretty sure they ran a tender for new machines not long ago that mentioned card payments, did I imagine that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that they ran the tender, and are now looking at the responses. Not surprised at the length of time, to be honest, I'd say that's about standard for a completely new system being put in place, and in fact is probably a slight bit optimistic.

The tenders have all been received and it will be awarded, they hope, in Q1 2024, with rollout in 2025.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, no surprises on the time line, actually 2025 sounds a bit early, I was thinking 2026.

It really is a big job, they are basically replacing the entire Leap system [1]. Not just adding new validators, but replacing all the existing ticket machines and validators, updating gates on rail, updating TVM and perhaps most significantly replacing the entire backend systems and all the code that currently makes Leap work!

Working in IT, I can tell you that replacing the backend systems and code will be a VERY BIG job. This stuff is very complicated, just think of all the various different Leap tickets and modes, a lot more complicated then just dropping in new validators.

My complaint would be more that they didn't start all this 5 years ago.

[1] Just to be clear, there will still be "Leap cards".

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Do you if this update will allow for contactless payment - so no more Leapcard. I use my VISA card on my phone in London. Just tap on and off and get a summary from Google overnight showing me what I spent. So simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Question following the Phase 5b implementation, In Crumlin village the bus stops are showing S4, 27 and 150. Is the 27 moving into Crumlin village or is it just a mistake on the poles?

Thanks,

Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There is one working of the 27 that goes to Eden Quay via Crumlin village in the morning.

It should really be a variation route number (i.e. 27e) to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Yes, these changes should allow Contactless, Google pay, etc. to be used. The leap card will still be an option, but it will likely be changed to an account based system, rather than the current need to effectively "load" the balance onto the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Thanks, never knew that. Everyday's a learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

It uses the normal route to Walkinstown roundabout, then Cromwellsfort road, Crumlin village and back onto Crumlin Road at the hospital. It does be fairly packed too from what I remember, going by the last time I worked it. (and that's not today or yesterday)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, this update will allow for contactless, both via phone (Apple/Google/etc. pay) and via contactless debit and credit cards.

However Leap cards will also remain for those who prefer it and also needed for the likes of child fares, under 25, free travel pass, yearly tickets, etc. [1]

It is the same in London, while it supports your Visa card (and thus contactless), it also still supports Oyster cards.

[1] BTW it is possible that they will also allow you to virtually load your leap card on your phone for all these other ticket types. The latest EMV standards allow for this and it has already been implemented in some other cities.

BBTW They also talk about supporting QR codes on printed paper tickets.

Note this info is all from public presentations by the NTA team working on this. It could of course change during the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't doubt it's a big job, I'm questioning why they didn't start on it years ago. It's not like this is new or cutting edge stuff - here's the NTA talking about it in 2014. In the intervening 9 years they appear to have done next to nothing to progress the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Am I correct in saying there is now no direct route from The Square, Tallaght to Dundrum Shopping Centre? I've checked the Bus Connects Network Map and I can't see and bus the links both?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

nc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

S6, just need to walk a bit to Dundrum Town Centre.

The S6 to Upper Churchtown Road or Taney Road and then either

1) Walk up Dundrum Main Street or

2) Take a 14 from the same stop on Taney Road if it’s too far a walk for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So there should still be 90 min fare, capping, etc. without having to have a physical Leap card?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The phased introduction of integrated ticketing took 12 years so that's nothing. These things tale up peoples entire careers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The TFI app seems to be going downhill rapidly. Half the routes have no map if you go into the timetables section, or worse it'll show you a map of a totally different route.

Then a lot of the time some stops just wont load real time info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You are correct. Its a big gap in the service.

You can walk up from the nearest stop but its probably a good 10 - 15 min walk.

• Advertisement

Yes, you can do all that with contactless payment in London bus.

The one catch, you need to use the same card/device each time to gain the benefit of capping and free transfer. E.g. if you use your debit card in the morning and then switch to use your phone later that day, then they will be considered separate for the daily/weekly capping.

Im more curious about how they handle the short fare. Get rid of it or introduce optional tag off.

Advertisement