Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So UFOs aren't a theory anymore - but we still don't know what they are

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

What is your take on this whole thing King?

Disinformation campaign? If so, its not really working as the general populace doesn't give a sh!t. If it is for foreign adversaries, they have their own intelligence on these things

Is it to gain more defence spending / budgets? Again, there are other ways of going about this, not annoying congress and hiding things from them.

If it's secret American tech, then they have been flying saucers since the 1940s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's just the usual bunch of true believers who dwell in a perpetual story generator, that no matter what the outcome there will always be a reason for aliens. Need better evidence, give us more money. No proof, then the government is hiding it. There is no drip, drip; just more recycling. Say hello to the new fuzzy photos, same as the old fuzzy photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,037 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

To jump in here with my take

Some 40% of Americans believe in "aliens". That is a large market. Within that market naturally there is a demand, e.g. look how well Ancient Aliens does on TV. Popular fiction and sci-fi also helps demand. There is money and fame up for grabs, so of course that will entice believers, grifters, cranks and that whole circus.

Essentially a significant number of people "want to believe" and as such an ecosystem exists for that. It operates in much the same way the conspiracy circuit works, by slowly feeding hype that the next big revelation is "just around the corner", the "drip-drip" of exciting and tantalizing info that never produces anything conclusive but always hints there's something big to come.

As for professionals standing by their accounts - people, regardless of background, can 100% believe they saw "something". This has occurred for centuries with e.g. "ghosts".

As for experts/officers/etc from the military. These are human beings, susceptible to the same beliefs as the rest of us. The DoD in the US employs nearly 3 million people, if 40% of Americans believe in "aliens" you can do the math there.

It all feeds into itself.

However when we strip away all the hearsay and conjecture, and we look at 70 years of verifiable evidence - we have nothing.

Instead it's 100% blurry photos, blurry footage, personal accounts, second-hand stories. As I've mentioned many times, point a million cameras at the sky, we're going to get stuff that can't be identified. Chilean military and scientists were stumped for 2 years with some footage, declared it was a UFO, some guy online identified which flight it was in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Instead it's 100% blurry photos, blurry footage, personal accounts, second-hand stories. As I've mentioned many times, point a million cameras at the sky, we're going to get stuff that can't be identified. Chilean military and scientists were stumped for 2 years with some footage, declared it was a UFO, some guy online identified which flight it was in a couple of days.

As I've said before the conspiracy is that the conclusive evidence is being concealed.

To be honest I'm not sure there is a conclusive photo or video anymore that wont be branded a hoax, blurry or in 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Isn't that all just so convenient...

The real conspiracy then, being, why do these aliens always managed to get covered up by these authorities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

The problem that modern skeptics overlook is that people even in ancient times reported seeing strange objects in the sky, not a new phenomenon created by TV or media. The phenomenon of unidentified flying objects (UFOs) has been documented throughout history, with accounts dating back centuries and longer

In ancient times, people witnessed and recorded sightings of objects that defied explanation. These reports often mentioned strange lights in the sky, objects that moved rapidly and silently, and even encounters with beings that were described as non-human.

One of the most intriguing examples of ancient UFO sightings comes from cave paintings. These paintings, which are estimated to be thousands of years old, depict entities that resemble the modern notion of grey aliens in UFO lore.

The release of this new information from Reporters is fascinating, as it sheds light on a previously little-known group within the CIA. This revelation raises intriguing questions about the source of their information, as it appears that people must have provided them with the necessary details.It does seem as though there is a growing trend for individuals to leak UFO information to the press.

Personally, the Grusch information revealing that Pentagon ATTIP UFO program tried to take Lockheed Martin's UFO from them and wanted to give it to someone else, but the CIA intervened and said no, was a significant revelation to make to the public. This revelation should astound and captivate the world public, as it suggests that a private company possesses an alien spacecraft and is keeping it hidden from the rest of the world.

Grusch's claims and the absence of a public denial from Lockheed Martin is very interesting. Grusch is not just a ordinary guy making claims; on the contrary, he was a highly influential figure in the Pentagon and had extensive contact with members of Congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

No, it's contradicting because it doesn't match up with the claims being presented in the hearing where the UFOs weren't cloaked at all.

If the UFOs could cloak, then they would do so all the time. There wouldn't be any reason for them to only cloak some times. If the aliens go to the bother of inventing a cloaking device, then they don't want to be seen by us.

On top of that, if that's the contention, then it also runs into the problem that there's better ways for the craft to remain unseen, such as not entering the atmosphere at all.

And then it runs into the same problem as before. Where the aliens have hyper advanced magical technology that is somehow kinda crappy and unreliable.

And yes I think it's a very large omission from the hearings that these UFOs are able to cloak (sometimes) and that we are able to outsmart this hyper advanced system.

Makes one wonder why this wasn't brought up under oath, but rather in a sensationalist rag.

I agree with the summaries provided with dohnjoe and silliussoddius.

I also agree that there other ways of bilking money out of the US government. However being a UFO proponent is a much safer and easier way to do it it seems.

Unlike overbudgeting a defense program or similar they don't need to produce things that might actually function. Such a thing requires a lot of money and expertise.

It also bares highlighting, like the others said that UFO belief is quite popular, so to be seen I'm agreement with it is a good way to generate voter support for yourself. And you're unlikely to get much push back or negative consequences from the government since there isn't really anything to uncover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

It is undeniable that the U.S. government operates under a budget framework, allocating resources for various projects and initiatives. It stands to reason that various departments and agencies within the U.S. government have a vested interest in securing sufficient funding for their operations. However, it is a wild claim to suggest that individuals in the government are actively seeking larger budgets solely by leveraging the UFO phenomenon.

But then you have to admit that section of the government is running a conspiracy against the American public to convince them that they have captured a whole lot of craft from aliens or non-humans.

If this phenomenon of UFOs (Unidentified Flying Objects) is real, there is a higher chance of receiving bigger budgets for further research. However, it is crucial to keep in mind that beings in these crafts may not be cuddly teddy bears, and there may be more to the story than meets the eye regarding the government's decision to keep this information hidden.Either way if there is a threat or whatever, better to be informed.

The world isn't in an ideal state, and as humans, we often find ourselves caught up in conflicts and struggles. The existence of UFOs is confirmed, it has the potential to bring about significant improvements. The knowledge gained from studying UFOs could revolutionize our understanding and lead to new discoveries in science and technology.Fairly certain some of world's best scientists are not working in UFO retrieval programs due to silly reasons of need to know and preventation of leaks.

UAPs may not be from one source.

We have no idea of the variation in source or type of craft, there could be multiple races/AI's or other.

In that situation the craft could be different, the intentions could be different, the desire to hide from us could be different, whether they can cloak could be different.

With regards to unreliablity I've repeateatedly said this is unknowable unless you know the frequency of visitation which no one does, moreover some craft may be akin to unmanned probes which are probably more disposable.

But ALL of this is pure conjecture and it would therefore be impossible to say "they should all do this" or base any opinion on feature sets all of the craft should have in general, to do so would just be akin to wild guessing.

• Advertisement

But it's less likely that they are from multiple sources. It's already a huge assumption for one alien race to be able to find us, traverse the distance between us and visit us regularly in such an odd contradictory way. It would be even more so if it's multiple alien races from many different planets.

This still leaves the problem that if some of these races don't want to be seen, then they wouldn't. They wouldn't even need cloaking devices. If some races didn't care if they were seen, then reports wouldn't be so ambigious. Their ships would be plainly visible as they flew all over the place.

Yes, I believe that characterizing their cloaking devices as unreliable is accurate as according to your source the US military with its inferior technology is able to defeat this cloak with regularity. Unless of course you're going to argue that there's millions of invisible undetectable visits again.

Yes this is all conjecture. It's conjecture to claim that these reports are the result of aliens or "NHI" or whatever.

Conjecture however can be consistent and make sense. It can be pointed out when conjecture doesn't make sense and is contradictory to itself.

The reason I don't buy into your beliefs is that you conjecture isn't consistent and doesn't have any answers for the problems I've highlighted that are satisfactory to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yep in many ways you are correct.

But think about this. Until this year AGI , Artificial General Intelligence, was always a few years away, nobody could prove that it could be created. Decades and decades it went on like this .

AND now it's here, just this year basically and now moving at an incredible rate. And you get folks saying sure we knew it was possible. But they didn't 'really' know.

And with the proof of artificial intelligence it increases the odds of alien intelligence being distributed widely tremendously.

Eventually we will get proof of aliens. I'm pretty sure of it. Here, there when or where, I don't know, but I'm convinced that they are out there because to think otherwise is preposterous.

But they said all that before when some other news came out about UFOs that supposed to be the start of full disclosure.

Then the hype died down and the UFO circles started to laych onto the next big thing and hyped that up, forgetting all of the claims made before and pretending it never happened.

Same thing will happen now. The dust from this one hearing will settle completely and nothing will come of it. All the claims were seeing on this very discussion will be erased from people's memories.

Then the next big thing will come along. Some documentary maybe. Or some one claiming to be a whistlblower (with nothing beyond his own word.) Or the grifters managing to get another hearing. And the cycle will roll around again.

Also I wish folks would stop defaulting to the the misrepresentation that we are arguing that aliens don't exist. No one here holds that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

With regards to the UAP footage that you see around, and in some cases from reputable sources..

As a person without one iota of a scientific background, I can only form an opinion on what I see.

The 'fuzzy object(s)' travel at speeds beyond our capabilities, the abrupt stop and turn maneuvers are uncompared to anything we know.

To me, the phenomenon captured on tape appears to be pulsating..? What does that mean? Is it a biological entity? Is the pulsating effect caused by velocity? Maybe a distortion of the surrounding atmosphere?

I don't think the 'object(s)' are of a solid mass.... More like a ball of concentrated energy?

You see the phenomenon separating and then re-forming again - That's not a solid object, that's like the bubbles in your tea when you stir it quickly, the bubbles separate before contracting back together again (crappy example I know...)

Keeping in mind my non science background.. I believe light is the fastest known method of travel. So would it not make sense, that maybe an advanced civilization could send light particles to survey the Cosmos? These bundles of concentrated energy would have a short life span, gather whatever information they were looking for - chemical elements, temperature, atmospherical content etc... Resend the information back and basically dissolve into nothing.

We send tin cans with wheels to explore our nearest Planets, surely an advanced race would have progressed beyond that. The known Universe that we can see, shows no signs of life. If Planet hopping was so easy to the advanced races (if they exist), they would surely have left many relics throughout the observable galaxy that we would have seen?

Are the UAP's just balls of energy dissipatating at speed? Maybe that have no pre-planned path, and just burn out in the atmosphere when their energy is spent?

I find the subject interesting, but lean towards an electrical anomaly at the moment. You see forked lightening zig-zagging in a split second, is this a similar event that somehow manages to retain it's energy for an extended length of time?

That's some creative thinking. Isaac Asimov had similar ideas in his books where civilisations ultimately evolved to become light beings bouncing around the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

If you believe in evolution, we used to be slime clinging to rocks by the sea... Later to evolve to Astronauts walking on the Moon...

Moon walking to light beings in no more amazing than slime evolving to building rockets..

It could be that the universe is teaming with life. With thousands of civilizations per galaxy. We dont see them due to the way they husband and use energy.

A Galactic contract similar to our climate COP ( honour based / non enforceable ) on visiting non space faring planets for those who sign up to a prime directive equivalent.

A solar system buoy ( beyond our technical detection ) left at a specific Lagrange point or other warning that the third planet in has a primitive species, showing methods to evade detection as per above COP, with fines for breaches.

Trying to find patterns in anything visiting would be akin to taking a cup of sea water analysing it and making a call on all sea life.

I don't think your suggestion is very realistic. It depends on a very sci fi notion of how light and energy work rather than a physics notion.

For example, there isn't really "concentrated energy" in physics as in blobs of energy that just fly around. When you see a fork of lightning, or a spark from an electric shock, what you're seeing isn't "energy" it's plasma. It's physical air molecules that have been heated up enough to become plasma and then emit light. The actual energy is what heats up the molecules and then gets emitted as light.

So if the aliens could send a blob of concentrated energy or light in a manner different from say just shooting a laser or flashlight it would still run into some issues. If this probe was to send data back to it source somehow, it would need some method of doing that. If it just arrived, gathered data, then fizzled out, then there's no way for it to get the data back. The only way for it to send the data back would be as light or some kind of energy blob. And that kind of return journey would require the same kinda method and power it required to make the outward journey in the first place.

If all this probe is collecting is "chemical elements, temperature, atmospheric content etc... ", then it's also being very inefficient as we, as lowly humans are able to collect this kind of data from far off planets now, in half the time it would take a probe like this to do so.

Astronomers are able to use spectroscopy to determine this kind of stuff. And since they are using light that's already made the trip once, it's much quicker than sending out something at light speed and waiting for it to come back at light speed.

Aliens, if they have the ability to control light to a degree that they're able to make probes out of it somehow would also be able to use spectroscopy to a much better level than we can.

There are of course ways for aliens with advanced technologies could get around problems like the above, but if you are positing those, you can also posit that they might be able to get around the problems of their light probes being visible. Or posit that they have an even better method of observing from afar.

Also, this the issue that this explanation doesn't really fit with the claims being made by the believers in UAPs. Such as the UAPs seeming to react in real time to things. This wouldn't be possible in your idea as the aliens are restricted to light speed, and wouldn't be able to control the probe.

Or more importantly to the claims about the physical craft and wreckage being recovered.

Indeed, however I haven't come across any credible evidence that any such info is being "concealed". And that's over decades.

Instead it comes across as a myth perpetuated by people (even individuals in the military/intelligence) as a diversionary attempt to explain why there is no verifiable evidence, rather than face the fact that (so far) there is none.

Grusch is turning into a shining example of this, a guy who comes across as gormless and appears to have believed everything he's been fed by others. He's not the only one, the ex chief scientist for a major UAP report recently? Turns out it's some guy who believes in the supernatural and appears in all sorts of "aliens/UFO" media. Ex counter intelligence special agent and ex director of AATIP? Arch loon Luis Elizondo.

Experts and professionals can be quacks/believers, I'm not surprised if some of them have worked their way into gravy train DoD jobs within UAP/UFO programs. I'd actually be more surprised if they hadn't.

TLDR, there's no credible evidence of dramatic info being concealed, but plenty of evidence of devious/gullible/loony people creating a narrative that there is

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

"TLDR, there's no credible evidence of dramatic info being concealed,

Physical evidence in terms of hardware I agree.

Physical evidence in terms of Stuff like the tik tok...we know they did conceal it. Radar and infra red and visual is physical evidence too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Ekano

Just wondering, did anyone here ever see a UFO? If so, did you get a chance to video it? I've heard two reliable stories but they were before smartphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

It's utter drivel like this which gives UFO chasers a bad name.

So tell me which part I started wasn't physically possible ?

Do you understand that time is relative first of all? So.for an advanced civilisation that can command a solar systems level of energy they could accelerate their ships close to the speed of light and benefit from this effect. Michio Kaku has written some good books on this.

Even for the most pessimistic estimates it will take just 300 million years to spread through the Milky Way.

**"""Mind you, this simulation is conservative. It assumes that the ships have a range limited to 10 light years — about a dozen stars are within this distance of Earth — and travel at 1% the speed of light. Also, they assume that any planet settled by these aliens takes 100,000 years to be able to launch their own ships.""**

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/how-long-would-it-take-for-an-alien-civilization-to-populate-an-entire-galaxy

Tell me your understanding of relativistic time, let's get started on that part ? We will work on the other stuff later such as panspermia.

Think you are going to struggle a bit lol.

Indeed, however I haven't come across any credible evidence that any such info is being "concealed". And that's over decades.

David Grush a man at the center of UAP investigation swore under oath that he believes there is better evidence and its being concealed. The inspector general found his complaint "urgent and credible".

Karl Nell, the recently retired Army Colonel who worked with Grusch on the UAP Task Force said of Grush : "His assertion concerning the existence of a terrestrial arms race occurring sub-rosa over the past eighty years focused on reverse engineering technologies of unknown origin is fundamentally correct, as is the indisputable realization that at least some of these technologies of unknown origin derive from non-human intelligence,” link

Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet: "Congress is slowly realizing is that they can't exercise the necessary oversight to make the best decisions because the information is being blatantly withheld from them. Zoom out and look at the bigger disclosure picture this is what we're encountering and talking about we are encountering again off-world non-human uh entities and however they're able to be here whatever they're operating vehicles or what and that is just the story of the 21st century" link

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), along with a bipartisan group of five other senators, introduced extraordinary legislation on July 13, suggesting that the U.S. government or private contractors may secretly possess recovered UFOs and “biological evidence of living or deceased non-human intelligence.”According to the legislation, “non-human intelligence” is defined as “any sentient intelligent non-human lifeform, regardless of nature or ultimate origin which may be presumed responsible for” UFOs. link

All of the above statements are fact where people have gone on the record.

What exactly in your mind is credible evidence of info being concealed.

Gone on record saying that they were told things that aren't on record or under oath or they didn't do much to actually verify. Gone on record about things they believe are true.

We've already seen that one of the people you list has gone on record under oath supporting a story that is false.

More credible evidence would involve pointing to specific documented instances of evidence being concealed. Actually pointing out the event and people involved and also getting them to testify under oath.

This would be far more credible evidence than vague suggestions about these events with no verifiable specifics or details based on summaries of testimony from anonymous, unverifiable sources who are not under oath. That's just my opinion on how evidence can be deemed credible or not.

Let's break this down.

David Grush

Grusch swore under oath he believes the stories he was told by other people. I believe he believes them. Completely meaningless without credible evidence.

Karl Nell, the recently retired Army Colonel

"I believe in Grusch". Great, meaningless without credible evidence.

Rear Admiral Tim Gallaudet

Rhetoric, zero evidence.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer

He's a politician who simply thinks "large amount of blurry footage and claims = there must be something to this". Volume doesn't mean anything. Multiple politicians fell for the most hilarious fakes in Mexico.

What exactly in your mind is credible evidence of info being concealed.

Consensus among whistle-blowers and leaks.

Grusch states X, the head of AARO contradicts it. Grusch states 40 people have evidence, 30 of them are interviewed, none have direct evidence.

This isn't new, this has been going on for 70 years. Never once has a single claim from any of these people been verified. When you have 1 million cases of this type of BS, you think that's evidence it must be true?

On the contrary, it demonstrates the opposite.

What's those slow moving triangle ships that they have flying around since at least the 80s?

There may not be any alien tech but the Americans are good at hiding some of their secret programs for many decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well it seems they upgraded to tic tacs in recent years.

• Advertisement

Sorry are you saying concesus from whistleblowers and leaks is credible evidence ?

Please be explicit on what exactly is credible evidence. Something that is not ambiguos .. ie is 99% concensus ok?

Advertisement