Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

More of this please, the more research we do, the better informed our decision making will be

Two new research “co-centres” on climate change and sustainable food production are to be established on an all-island basis at a cost €70 million.

One research centre will look at climate, biodiversity and water, while the other will be dedicated to researching sustainable and resilient food systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

And?

Is your post just to agree with me and support mine or have you a point?

6+5 in 2010/11 and 2 more in 2018/19. There's your 13. Demand grew considerably in the period 2012-18 too but no Alerts as the new thermal generation matched the demand growth.

As I said, there were loads in 2000-09 because older plants were retiring (plus demand growth from the Celtic tiger) but this was sorted by Aghada CCGT coming online in 2009 and Whitegate at the end of 2010. Gt Island put a stop to them when it connected. The answer seems obvious. More thermal generation please.

Additional wind connections seems to do very little for abating the number of Alerts since it displaces potential new dispatchable thermal generation in the portfolio, then when wind is not available (like June or 2 weeks ago), we're relying on aging coal, gas and oil plant and scraps from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That's the new watered down NRL, with many of the original stuff either removed or changed to being voluntary. No doubt an improvement on what's there now, but a country mile away from what the NRL originally planned

• Advertisement

Aye, its a crying shame, biodiversity all across the EU is going to suffer due to the weakened version, though no doubt the lobby groups and vested interests will be happy. But as you say, its better than what is there now and it will be good to get it over the line so we can start seeing changes.

Still, as the saying goes, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat and we can see that there are other ways to protect and increase biodiversity with no further peatlands being used for forestry which will make it more likely they will be suitable for rewetting, the IFI looking for increased powers and penalties to tackle pollution of our waterways, the reduction (and hopefully elimination of) the derogation and so on.

Loads more still to come in this sphere and the NRL is only the beginning but will play less of a role than was previously envisaged

Don't know how ya can biodiversity is going to suffer due to the weakened version and then go on to agree that it's better than we have now. Which side of the fence are you on?

I posted about the peatlands stuff yesterday. Under reporting forestry emissions. In addition, forestry is expected to be a carbon source for decades to come. Yet we're hell bent on adding more forestry. Don't think we can add more and see emissions fall right away. Is that accounted for?

The rewetting in the NRL is voluntary but I'd imagine a lot of state owned land will be done. The downside is that CO2 will reduce with rewetting, but methane will increase. The neighbouring land impacts haven't been investigated yet either.

I don't know what IFIs game is but some semi state bodies and many industries would be rightly screwed if what they want came to fore.

Derogation will most likely go, putting Irish agriculture at a disadvantage and unable to benefit from our climate and ability to grow grass sustainably. Shame really, especially since it's a €9bn/annum industry that will be mainly impacted and carbon leakage will 100% occur. Global demand is to rise and one of the best places for satisfying that demand sustainably is being scaled back.

Don't know how ya can biodiversity is going to suffer due to the weakened version and then go on to agree that it's better than we have now.

Thought it was pretty clear, especially as I was agreeing with you, but I'll break it down further I guess

• What we currently have now is not particularly good, its alright, but mostly meh
    • But its getting better with further planned improvements across many areas
    • The NRL will play a part in that
    • But not as much as it would have in its original format

I don't know what IFIs game is but some semi state bodies and many industries would be rightly screwed if what they want came to fore.

I have zero problem with that. Pollution of our waterways should not be acceptable, regardless of the source

Derogation will most likely go

Maybe, maybe not, have to wait and see how the water testing goes over the next few years

The auld tone there of superiority is a sickner.

I quizzed you because you said this

Aye, its a crying shame, biodiversity all across the EU is going to suffer due to the weakened version

then this

its better than what is there now and it will be good to get it over the line so we can start seeing changes.

I don't understand how you can say that the NRL is going to see biodiversity suffer, then say it's good it's introduced so we can see changes and is an improvement on existing regulations. Bit of a Schrodingers' take on things 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

If all water is tested equally and not just cherrypicked to get results you want.

I explained it twice 🤷‍♂️

I didn't think you'd appreciate a MS Paint picture explaining it further so I called it quits

Paint away. No getting away with you expecting biodiversity to take a nose dive despite improvements in legislation.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@[Deleted User] @roosterman71

Quit the bickering or you will be threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Now now, if you're going to post the articles at least give them an honest representation. Here's what they actually said and you'll see the additional context makes all the difference.

"Pressure on supply has been heightened by increased electricity demand; a delay in new generators coming onto the grid; the withdrawal of some planned generators by developers; decreased availability of existing generators as they age; and the need for essential maintenance on other generators."

Eirgrid are quite good at forecasting demand as no new LEU gets a connection agreement without their blessing. So, while demand has gone up, this is not a surprise. The real issue is the lack of reliable generation being brought on. We have over 6GW of wind installed and more coming yet it is proving to be quite the albatross around the grid operators necks.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

As I said, I tried twice, didn't work, so I called it quits If you wish to keep going, by all means do but you'll be in an echo chamber.

Anyway, moving on, looks like the Irish delegation have a good goal for this years COP

THE IRISH DELEGATION at COP28 is set to push for fossil fuel companies to ‘pay their way’ as countries look to strike deals to ramp up climate action and avoid catastrophic temperature rise.

The Taoiseach, Tánaiste and three other Government ministers are set to travel to the COP28 climate conference in Dubai over the next two weeks, where countries will assess the level of progress — or lack thereof — made on important targets for preventing temperature rise that were agreed eight years ago.

This year’s COP, which begins tomorrow, comes against a backdrop of an overwhelming amount of evidence detailing the scale of the climate crisis. 

I don't imagine they'll have much success, but its a bold move nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Standing unmarked, ball in hand in front of an open goal and putting the ball over the bar is also a score I suppose .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

These events are held under the auspices of the United Nations which for me at least goes a long way to explaining.

The last few were nothing to write home about either. Egypt was nothing much more than " Show me the money" and Scotland was China, India and Japan making it clear that their economies were their concern and they had no intention of giving up coal as a cheap energy source

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Must be a mistake and I’m sure da cor will be on to blame farmers.

was out for a couple of drinks last weekend with friends one of whom works for a company that’s involved in sludge and other such environmental stuff.talking about how farming gets the blame the whole time and he said how when there’s heavy rain forecast they never get a call from the sewage facilities they serve.its all just automatically released into the rivers to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This may be a pill hard to swallow by some of our resident all-things-green experts...

The US will lead a push at the COP28 climate summit to triple the amount of installed nuclear power capacity globally by 2050, marking a major turnaround for the controversial technology at the climate negotiations.

The declaration will call on the World Bank and other international financial institutions to include nuclear energy in their lending policies, according to a document seen by Bloomberg News. The US will likely be joined by the UK, France, Sweden, Finland and South Korea in the pledge to be signed Dec. 1 in Dubai, according to people familiar with the matter.

That will be followed a few days later by a nuclear industry commitment to triple generation resources from 2020 levels, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the information isn’t public.

“Nuclear is 100% part of the solution,” John Kerry, the US special presidential envoy for climate, said at the Bloomberg New Economy Forum last week. “It’s clean energy.

Well, for once we can agree with John Kerry, but it beggars belief how long it took him to reach that conclusion. My guess is he’s invested in some company that will benefit. After all, we know that despite him being a sociopath he’s also a greedy bastard, so…

Alongside that are shady oil deals, COP28 focusing on food and agriculture over fossil fuels and Ireland pushing for countries to pledge billions to be handed over to poorer countries (who I suspect would gladly take it and pocket huge amounts of it seeing as most are corrupt, and spend the rest on oil/gas)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

He was never far off it, but now he has turned into a complete fantasist.

He complains about fossil fuel companies making large profits while supporting a marginal pricing policy where we pay for renewable generated electricity at the rate of the most expensive fossil fuel in the generation mix. If, as we are being constantly told, renewables are cheaper than fossils fuels then aren`t the renewable generating companies making even larger profits, so why no mention of hitting these.

This latest renewables world economic plan of his is nothing more than a "whose going to think of the childer" from someone who cannot even give costing for his own renewable energy proposals. On top of that he wants to throw countless trillions to some of the most corrupt countries on the planet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement