Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

Worst year in a long time for lameness with ewes here.

I retained around half of the ewe lambs for breeding next year and none of them have been lame, they would have been footbathed twice since weaning at start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

No issues with sheep feet here...every time the are brought in for a dose or sorting the go into the footbath (Zinc sulphate) without exception. I did this for the last few years and would not change now. Id say I turn up about three sheep every year to do something with their feet. When i think of the hardship of my youth i cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

sometimes, you would see the glare in the water. Certainly you would not get three goes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

You can let it go nearly like slurry. Buy a hydrometer and test it every time your using the the footbath. Might only need a small bit of zinc to top it to strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

the solution lasts a good while, whereas formalin is dead once you use it.

Zinc will work even if the water is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tileman

Does zinc destroy the galvanise footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Question regarding clippers - found an old electric clippers thrown in the shed this last 20 years, got it freed out and working the blade and comb are sunbeam make and look identical to most clippers blades and combs - are these blades in co ops universal will the fit any clipper head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i buy my replacement combs and cutters online. the ones in co op usually for cattle i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Ya usually all standard combs and cutters….don’t buy them in the co op they are stupidly expensive when sold as a comb and cutter on their own buy a box of 10 online, change when blunt and then bring your 10 to someone to get sharpened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭DJ98

Texel ram lamb here this morning with very large blister like lumps on his top and bottom lip and seems to be affecting his breathing and ability to eat. Wasn't seen yesterday but was perfect on Tuesday. Anyone any ideas what this could be, can't get vet on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Want to gather round a few lambs tomorrow for heading to the factory during the week. I'll be mixing these lambs with another batch. All ram lambs.

Question is. How much if any weight would these lambs lose from Sunday to Thursday. Father always says the weight will fall off them. I think if they are fit tomorrow they'll still be fir Thursday.

He won't use a scale so won't be weighing them. I know that's old school but with small parcels of land everywhere it's hard to get him to take the scales. I'm not about to help out myself tomorrow or during the week. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

just got sheep welfare payment 12 euro a head i taught it went up in budget to 20 euro a head

just seen the 20 euro payment is for next year not sure thats fair when sheep prices are so bad be less sheep farmers in country next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tileman

At least u got it. Apparently I forgot to submit it. Ffs only my own fault don’t know how I didn’t press submit as I remember completing it.

sorry to hear that as its easy to make a mistake online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone still waiting on their SIS payment, still nothing showing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Where online do you get your combs and cutters?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommieG90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

went down to look at sheep yesterday evening around 4:30 and spotted a new ram out with them, copped him a mile away , worse still he looks to have scab , loose bits of wool on him, i seperated him with quad and moved my ewes onto 2 fields down, so a field between them, i had to leave the ram there and try get hm out or move him in day light, he was gone back to neighbouring field today. some guy has a few sheep in about 4 acres of lawn type field in front of an old house which is derelict this 20 years, so the fencing wouldnt be overly great for a sheep that really wanted to get out but mine never bothered with it, usually never sheep in it always either a horse or two or cut twice for bales thats all it was done with it. just wondering i guess im screwed and have to inject the whole 80 ewes with dectomax now? wouldnt like to chance it, he was out for about 36 hours i would think, had a fight with my own ram to by looks of blood on my own lads horn/head. very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

well Dectomax would be cheaper and easier to do in fairness and be definite to kill all stages of eggs /mites in one shot. just wondering would anyone chance them or would that be far to risky? i have to bring another 50 ewes home from an outfarm at scanning in 3 weeks, so was thinking in next 10 days to hit them all with Dectomax. i wonder would that up risk of resistance building hiitting ewes with no need for a worm injection. i had early stages of scab last year around december and gave dectomax to all ewes in group and it cleared it completely.

are you increasing the resistance to dectomax by injecting all?. Might be worth doing all as a preventative all the same.

I'd be afraid of the resistance..for the sake of 2e per head a shower spray and a piece of mind. If you have a good set up for penning then it's less hassle than injecting.

And put the rams owner into the shower also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I didn't get much satisfaction with the shower , the big advantage of sheep dip is that it protects them for a mth after where as dectomax only works for about 48 hrs and scab stays in the ditches for seventeen days if the ram scratched anywhere.

yeah i wouldnt like the idea of the shower either to be honest, Dectomax is very good and one shot, it kills all stages from eggs, yeah i think a lot of lads forget the 17 day period afterwards where scab lives on bushes etc, i spole to two farmers with sheep in last 48 hrs and both actually cut me off mid sentence when trying to explain the 17 day thing , they literally didnt listen just cut in and said "ah no it will stay forever aaround a place always has". Yeah because people put the sheep back into infected fields. same last week with a guy who dosent keep sheep really just buys a few store lambs an odd time, he asked me what i dosed with and told him then he told me what he dosed with and asked how long it would do them for fluke and i said it depends, id have to look it up and see does it do all stages of fluke or adult only etc, i asked him what stages it covered, he just shrugged and goes " oh i dont fuckin about that shiite, sure it be grand" , how can you help some lads

anyway getting back to it, is their anyone here that would chance it seeing as said ram was only in among the ewes fro max 36 hrs?

• Advertisement

No I'd say you're better off preventing than curing after it runs ragged. Definitely don't take the chance

Advertisement