Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Anti-semitism might not have been official state policy in the late 20th century, but I distinctly remember one of my primary school teachers going on a deranged rant about how "everyone hates Jews" going back to the Romans or something. Crazy, but I'm starting to think she was right one sense - the level of hatred and vilification of the worlds' only Jewish state - a state that has been fighting for its existence and to protect its people from being driven into the sea since it was formed - can only be explained by either anti-Semitism or possibly some other really warped ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Sigh.

With respect, the whole British/Irish thing has been discussed to death. Just scroll back one hundred pages and fill your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

No idea about the search issue but 2,000 killed out of 40,000 Hamas fighters is some context to the present situation.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's under a headline titled "Biden says 'the chances are real' that the pause in fighting could open the door to a longer ceasefire". Scroll down to that and then click 'show more' and it expands the article. It's not some big conspiracy or security feature. The full article is hidden until you press show more.

If only 2000 out of 40,000 Hamas fighter have been killed and there is overwhelming pressure on Biden in the US to withhold aid to Israel unless they agree to a permanent ceasefire...

If all that then the US may have to choose between abandoning Israel or abandoning US democracy if the Dem voters refuse to vote for Biden and Trump gets in again as a result of their abstention.

Ukraine might be the next domino unless Europe steps in for America.

• Advertisement

If Trump wins the next election the choice may not exist (and US democracy may also be taken off life support)

Trump could care less about pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Good news.

Less people will die in coming days. Not no people, we've seen Israel's behavior during the ceasefire so far, but less. And that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

It's also important to put political, military and terrorist acts in their political and historical context. Their correct political context. because without that then the facts on the ground are meaningless. That has been severely lacking in this discussion here and in the Irish Media.

"That sounds like luddism or broken logic. Media is 'the main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the internet) regarded collectively.'"

Unless there's an actual editor with an actual name and a contact address then it's not a proper media source. I don't care if it's print media or on the internet and I don't care if it's published on paper or through social media. The NYT or CNN or Sky or even the would-be Guardian Journalists in RTE and the Irish Times are proper news sources. What some anonymous person posts on social "media" is just speculation.

I'd love to see more actual investigative Journalism, or even just actual journalism, in the Irish Media rather than exposés on things that everyone knows already from RTE or endless opinion pieces from former celebrities in the Indo or more opinion pieces from Sinn Fein mouthpieces in the Irish Times. Good journalism is a wonderful thing and really good journalists are as rate as hens teeth.

Has that been verified by an actual news source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Yes, try putting in google " children killed Jenin " you can take your pick of them to read. It only takes 5 seconds.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

It takes a strange mind to watch a video of kids being shot dead during a conflict in which there is widespread acknowledgement that thousands of children have been killed and to ask has the video been verified.

Like, what do you expect the final moment of the 5000+ dead kids looked like? They just curled up, went to sleep and didn't wake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's been many challenges to videos on this thread (often from Israeli sources), questioning whether the footage is actually from the current conflict.

Did you challenge such posts along similar lines? Pretty sure you did not. So what does that say?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Three civilians shot dead in Jerusalem. Yitzhak Rabin was right. You will never convince hawks like Gallant of that, unfortunately.

Israel has proven itself to be unreliable in terms of the content they have been publishing. They know this themselves, given the amount of it they have deleted.

That's not the question you were asked though, was it?

Oh and everything Hamas or pro-Hamas sources have published has been reliable has it? You know it has not.

You've been reading the thread, you know the utterly false claims that were bandied around about hospital car park attacks. Don't pretend otherwise.

This is just an example of the blatant double standard in your post.

You tried to allege that Israel's claim about hostage mistreatment was unreliable. Hostages have been mistreated - something you tried to deny, acting as if the notion of a hostage under duress was impossible. As per the witness evidence cited on the thread, which understandably would take time to emerge.

So which source is unreliable?

There's about 5 different topics in this post. Pick whatever it is you want my opinion on, and I might respond. I might not, I don't have to do anything you demand of me.

You apparently want me to undermine my own position for you. What sort of nonsense is that?

My point still stands, 5000 kids are dead, everyone accepts that, but you guys are casting doubt on a video purporting to be 2 of those deaths. Not with any counter evidence mind, but just a demand that suggests you're going to want kids holding up todays newspaper as they are shot as evidence you will accept.

There are lots of verified examples of children that have been killed by Israeli forces. I'm looking for verification that these two cases seeming to show children being deliberately targeted by sniper fire have been verified by an actual media source.

Why do you think it is strange to ask if a video posted on Twitter has been verified as real?

I don't understand how the second part of your post relates to my question.

Nope.

Where did I demand anything? Is that an example of a playing the victim posting tactic ?

You were the one challenging claims about hostages, demanding proof.

And when the actual evidence was produced to backup the reasonable expectations of posters, nowhere to be seen.

I'm not demanding anything of you, I am pointing out that your position on hostages was completely undermined by actual evidence.

Therefore any declarations you make as to what is and isn't true about this conflict are unreliable, or what opinions are or are not legitimate.

I am pointing out that such selective responses demonstrate a complete double standard - that only one set of "guys" can legitimately challenge points.

Now again, you are casting aspersions on those making counter evidence claims.

What was entirely reasonable query - given the level of misinformation about the conflict, which in some cases is just the fog of war and in some cases is misinformation, and in some cases is active disinformation. And, contrary to your selective take on events that Israel is unreliable without any acknowledgement there has been all of the above coming from Hamas and pro-Hamas sources.

Therefore, as long as it is not a "just asking questions" charade ... it is an entirely legitimate to question social media claims about such an incident, despite your attempt to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement

Which position of mine was undermined by actual evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Ok, we can establish that you very clearly support Zionism. There is no comparison between India and Israel and trying to make such a claim is disingenuous, there was no Ideological movement to bring Muslims or Hindus or Seikhs to India, they already lived in that area side by side in large numbers and again, it was British involvement that screwed things up and created the Divisions that came to exist within India. The huge movements of people only occurred after partition when people found themselves on the wrong side. This happened whenever you had partitions along religious/nationalistic/ethnic divisions.

There was no large population of Jewish people in Palestine in 1900 and the movement of Jewish people to Palestine was done with the expressed aim of creating a state on the lands occupied by other people, that is very, very different to what happened in India or anywhere else around the World for that matter.

Zionism was always an ideological movement and I cannot think of any other such movements, perhaps you can point me in the direction of such a movement? As was noted by the Commission of Enquiry in 1919, the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine was not a good idea, but that was ignored in favour of ideology and here we are still dealing with the consequences of putting ideology over realism and pragmatism.

You tried to spin the position that the concerns Israeli officials expressed about mistreatment of hostages were shown be unreliable based on some debateable early hostage release scenarios.

An argument discredited by the emerging evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

So the truce lasts another day. Hopefully it can continue. Doubt it though. Theyll go back to the rinse and repeat of violence on both sides. You have to wonder how much violence is enough before they sit down and organise a peace. I'd say it'll be decades. It'll calm down at some stage and in a few years we'll be back here watching the same. You'd think people would learn from history. But they never do. And as the ones in power slaughter the innocents suffer.

I didn't spin anything, I alluded to facts.

Facts that for the most part have not been refuted. I haven't seen any posts from anyone at least doing so.

You seem to be having this argument like as if you don't realize the rest of us have access to the internet or television and can see for ourselves what footage is emerging from the area.

'Alluding to facts' is not the same as stating the truth is it? It can deceive by omission.

It is a fact that hostages are often mistreated in these scenarios.

What's been undermined is rushing to judgment on the treatment of hostages based on early scenes of release, which were possibly conducted under duress - a possibility you refused to consider when pointed out to you.

You haven't seen any posts from anyone doing so?

This was posted to the thread in last 24 hours, strange that you didn't see it...

A Thai foreign worker who was released in recent days from Hamas captivity is quoted by Channel 12 news saying that Israeli hostages with whom he was held were beaten by their captors, including with electric cables. He says there was little to eat for the hostages — a pita a day, sometimes a tin of tuna to share between four, and sometimes a piece of cheese. Held for more than seven weeks, he says they were allowed to shower once. “We were with Israelis, and they were guarded all the time,” he is quoted saying. “The Jews who were held with me were treated very harshly, sometimes they were beaten with electric cables.”

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121435115/#Comment_121435115

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Hamas treats Israeli hostages badly. Israel states Palestinian prisoners badly. No one wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

3 innocent people were killed in Jerusalem.

2 gunmen opened fire at a bus stop full of people going about their day.

Will we have any marches or demonstrations against this war crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I didn't spin anything, I alluded to facts.

Nonsense.

The post of yours has been completely unverified, so you cant call it a 'fact'.

• Advertisement

I'm neutral on Zionism. I've no dog in the fight. I just like to base my opinions on fact.

Before 1840 there weren't many people of any ethnicity or religious belief in Palestine. The population growth corresponded with the influx of Zionist Jews. Therefore the assertion that the Muslim population of the region can claim lineage going back to antiquity is false. It is true to say that the vast majority of the 300,000 people who did live there before the Zionist influx were Muslims but that's not the same thing at all. It also doesn't delegitimise the argument that the Jews had no right to move there and that Zionism dispossessed and, at the very least, disenfranchised the local Muslim population.

I agree that the report of the 1919 King-Crane Commission was against the establishment of aa Jewish State but it also assumed (or maybe hoped) that the Mandates it recommended be established would turn into liberal democracies. That is particularly the case with Syria, the country that they envisioned would encompass Palestine. The reality is that the Ottomans, themselves an Imperial colonial power, had kept the lid on the fundamentalists for generations but the First World War blew that lid off.

The actions of the Western Powers from before the turn of the 20th Century until after the Second World War created a myriad of problems in the Middle East (and elsewhere). That is at the root of the current conflict.

I'm certainly not saying this applies to you but those blaming Israel in isolation shows a wilful lack of historical knowledge.

Advertisement