Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

On Social Media? Doesn't really count does it?

Anyway the reality is apart from being hated he also is well liked, by the general public and other people in the media.

He was always going to get another gig. A lot of people declared he never could, so I imagine there is anger at the thought of digesting that humble pie.

Best of luck to him, I didn't listen to him when he broadcast here and certainly won't be listening to him when he is broadcasting from London.

If his fall from Grace speeds up the reforms public broadcasting needs then even better.

I doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Boggles I don't care what Tubs does, I was just pointing out that when he left TLLS originally there were a lot of questions about the Toy Man and if he might return to the show for that one episode

"It will be hard to say goodbye, but I will not be hosting it again in the future," he said, definitively ruling out any return to host the famous toy show - even as a once-off.

I don't see the humble pie being eaten by RTÉ, who have themselves pretty much highlighted the fact that their stars were overpaid, and if they wanted those wages they should have moved on, the only one that you could perceive to have had any effect on RTÉ was Gerry Ryan.

Good luck to Tubs in London, he should have left 10 years ago.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What would be your "reforms in public broadcasting" as a matter of interest?

I don't see the humble pie being eaten by RTÉ

I never suggested they would be.

We had the discussion recently on this thread.

• Advertisement

But you expect posters on Boards to eat humble pie because

He was always going to get another gig. A lot of people declared he never could, so I imagine there is anger at the thought of digesting that humble pie.

I am sure Dee Forbes' illness is gout brought on the amount of humble pie she's been eating lately. There is plenty of humble pie to be handed round, time for RTÉ to start the eating their dinners like good little children.

______

Yesterday

Yes, one of tenets of the anger and hate directed at him was he would never gain employment outside of RTE.

Do you need examples from this thread?

I doubt Dee Forbes posts here or has ever claimed he is unemployable outside of RTE, so I don't see the relevance.

I agree Boggles, I don't mean to pile on to Tubs, I don't think I ever have, I was just stating that there was a lot of puff pieces in the media on the idea he might return as a once off or the Toy Show.

The only time I bring up the top earns, is when their fees are released, and when Dee Forbes said at the oireachtas that their fees only amount to 1% of RTÉ's total budget and that 99% goes on other things <<< I paraphrase but she did point out that 99% of RTÉ budget went on other things ... this is a gauling take from someone at the top of her career.

And she should have know if 1% is a small amount then she wasn't funding children's content correctly as it was matching the cost of the top ten earners, same goes for Indo Drama on 2%. Other things!

The relevance is that she brought this about by suggesting he and the other RTÉ talent were vastly important to RTÉ. She would have much to say in any case, she's too busy getting some more pie from The Humble Pie Cafe.

I'd not be worried about anyone on boards eating humble pie, we aren't and haven't been in charge.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's a pity Ryan wasn't asked back for the Late Late toy show, it would have drawn a line under the issues and allowed for some healing in a country that has had a hard few years. Thankfully Patrick did a good job. Ryan was very generous by not making statements about the Toy Show during the week leading up to it.

Patrick is a very good presenter, it's just a pity that the circumstances of Ryan's departure has left him in slightly difficult spot, always spoken about in the same breath as one of the great broadcasters. Few plants grow well in the shade, but Patrick is doing well so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Only shade is in your head there 🙄

Patrick Kielty is an excellent funny and accomplished presenter .. Tubs very amateur and wooden.

I didn't see the show on Fruday but caught a bit on the repeat and everybody seemed so relaxed especially the children.. A much more pleasant experience all round.

I always felt nerves jangling from Tubridy and it made for uncomfortable viewing and a bit cringy.

Congratulations to PK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kielty is finishing off an already dying show.

People are afraid to say it because they are just happy Tubs is gone.

The Letterman / Norton format isn't working. But most of all it's back to the norm interviewing the staff and Z celebs who are hocking some shíté as well as anyone who was ever remotely famous from the North.

Of course the calibre of guest isn't really anyone's fault. Maybe a complete revamp of what it is and recorded during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes the guest situation is poor. Maybe go back to a panel discussion like in Gaybo's day when celebs were thin on the ground getting the audience more involved but keeping it light?

Thing is, I am now thinking of paying my licence this week which I have thought I would not do for the last few months, in support.

I am so glad RT is gone.

Now if we could get the money he ran off with back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There really wasn't a lot in the media about Tubridy presenting future Toy Shows.

He announced that he was stepping down from the LLS on March 16.

That article you linked to - where he very clearly states that he won't come back for a once-off - was also on March 16. The very same day he announced the departure.

So basically he had knocked any speculation about it on the head literally straight away.

Obviously it is completely up to you weather or not you pay our TV (...actually it isn't... it is technically the law :/)

But one event of the year would not be making me think to renew my licence fee, but then it is the law so one does what one must :)

______

Yesterday

He had indeed but I am just stating at the time there suggestions in the media, I am not going searching for more and more speculation to prove my point about the puff piece that were written on his exit or after his exit from TLLS.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Speaking as an avid LLS viewer under Gaybo and then Pat Kenny, I don't know if the format can be saved. Gay could do both serious topics and panel discussions and celebs. Pat was and is great on current affairs but is terrible at celeb type stuff. Tubridy was out of his depth in both but managed to get through some how. (I suffered through about a month of Tubridy on the LLS and gave up).

I realise the LLS is not just the presenter, its the producer too. Does the producer have the guts to get Helen McEntee or Drew Harris on for a chat on this Friday night? I would certainly watch that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sunny Boy and Bobson or whatever the name was are always good for a laugh anyway :) Play their roles well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

Mother of jaysus…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Weeds like Tubridy grew tall in the bad soil of RTE. It's refreshing to see an outsider like Kielty - someone with genuine professionalism who does not have Tubridy's nepotistic privilege - turn up and show the audience what they have been missing. Someone who can actually convince as a normal human being! Tubridy a great presenter? He's a nobody. Kielty has had many high profile gigs on UK TV: Tubridy is an unknown here. Could you imagine Tubs having to host The One Show and banter with guests? Lol! Deep down I think Ryan knows his limitations and won't do anything that will expose his ineptitude on a grand stage. He can be a big fish in a small pond in Dublin 4 and use his family connections to keep him in power but those days are over now. He's got a face for radio and a personality for crap radio so his new gig doing hairdresser radio to a small audience will suit him to a tee. For a fraction of the money he was on too :) God, his desperation these days just makes me smile. Couldn't happen to a nicer, more corrupt young fogey! Sitting on the board of directors of his company with his elderly mammy as the other director. What a sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Marty Whelan a legend? Another overexposed arsehole who could only ever succeed in the corrupt cesspool that is RTE. No ambition from any of these guys except to jump on the gravy train and ride it for life. Can't wait for the whole thing to come crashing down for all these RTE stars/money grubbing scumbags.

Leave Marty alone, he is a national treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Toy man persona was a self given PR title, most kids watched the intro and fell asleep, my nephew watched this years 3 times already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

I'll tell ya what... ya have to hand it to him... he would promote himself opening a can of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Ryan and Marty had swapped over drinks for the photo!😄

Is the photo from 2003?

2 ashtrays on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Well spotted. I'll take a chance and say Tubridy looks a bit younger and a slightly more roundy face. The ashtrays could be there for a retro style? I don't know. The photo is also inverted as the Guinness logo appears from right to left and yeah all the pint glasses appear to be the original style. So yes, I am also thinking it's an older photo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement