Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't know what will happen, I'm only going by precedent and I don't see Greece holding up anything if the EU26 are happy.

Just on that, Greece may not be able to hold things up if everyone else is happy for the UK to be readmitted, but there might be other countries who see it as an opportunity to finally resolve a grievance. If there were a couple of countries looking to use that leverage, they could make things very difficult.

The Irish government is generally willing to "pull on the EU jersey" but other governments may need some persuading, particularly given the way the UK has behaved for the last decade, and seemingly for the lifetime of their current government at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just don't see it. Brexit is a festering boil on the continent. The worst is over but the only long term solution is reversal. Once we kick out the Tories, we'll have the adults at the reigns. I'm not aware of any pulsing issues that could derail the inevitable rejoin.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭yagan

If the UK were to reapply it would have to change its democracy first. Parliament being sovereign on behalf of a monarch is stuck in the 17th century.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, it absolutely would not have to change its democracy first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why? There are a lot of EU states that are monarchies. Don't get me wrong, we should absolutely dump the Windsors into a council house and have done with them but it's realistically not going to happen.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The UK had to change the FPTP voting for EU elections. It follows that it could be a precondition that the FPTP be changed to a more representative system. The EU could also insist of a written constitution, but probably not. Replacing the HoL with a directly elected second chamber could be another test for more democratic representation. Also, a proper system that controls corruption might be a requirement before re-joining.

It depends on how desperate the UK are to join, and how desperate the EU is to make sure they will behave, and on what terms they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A directly elected second chamber, like the one we don't have? and I'm pretty sure there are unicameral member states too.

The present UK system is nuts but trying to interfere with domestic poltiics to that extent would be too much for even the most ardent Rejoiners (unless it was what they wanted anyway but could conveniently blame the EU on it.. oh wait that sort of thing didn't work out too well last time)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The EU absolutely will not start dictating the UK's domestic constitutional arrangements. They won't touch that with a barge-pole.

The EU can, and does, require candidate states (and member states) to have anti-corruption mechanisms in place. But the arrangement which the UK had in place as a member state were compliant with EU law, and those arrangements are still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The EU is actually pretty clear on what new members are required to have and these preconditions you list above are not among them.

It's pure fantasy to think voter reform would be a precondition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭rock22

We have been here before.

"They won't touch that with a barge-pole."

But in fact, the Commission is obliged to examine the democratic and legislative process of the application state. It has to determine if the applicant meets the Copenhagen Critera and article 49 of the Maastricht treaty.

And "The rule of law implies that government authority may only be exercised in accordance with documented laws" . That might imply the need for a written constitution.

Of course the EU can abandon its' own rules. Ursula van der Leyen has said that the EU 'goofed up' over Brexit and a new EU could fix it.

• Advertisement

But we have written laws. They're just in Acts of Parliament which are much easier to change or repeal than a codified constitution.

H. H. Asquith

And therefore parliament, and a government with a majority, is sovereign and can change any law it disagrees with. So effectively no 'written' rule of law which legislators need to abide by.

But irrespective of what you and I think, the EU commission is obliged to test the 'democratic and legal framework' for compliance, as per Maastricht treaty and Copenhagen criteria. So I cannot agree they will not touch this with a barge pole. - they are legally obliged to do so in order to test compliance.

But there is written rule of law. The current system has been arguably the most successful in Europe. I've advocated several times for the abandonment of FPTP but the idea this isn't a democracy is absurd.

H. H. Asquith

Ah FFS would you stop.

The UK is just as democratic as the vast majority of EU countries.

from my previous post, which i edited as you were posting.

But irrespective of what you and I think, the EU commission is obliged to test the 'democratic and legal framework' for compliance, as per Maastricht treaty and Copenhagen criteria. So I cannot agree they will not touch this with a barge pole. - they are legally obliged to do so in order to test compliance.

Serious question: where did Ursula von der Leyen say this?

I can only link to a press report

Quote "At an event in Brussels on Tuesday night, von der Leyen admitted that European leaders had “goofed up” over the departure of Britain from the bloc and suggested the younger generation could “fix” it."

Of course the EU will "test the 'democratic and legal framework'" of the UK.

And it will be found within about 10 seconds to be sound and absolutely no request would be made for the UK to change its voting system or adopt a constitution.

I suspect that if it is politically expedient , you are right. And if the EU want to stall then it might take years to reach that conclusion.

No one could argue , for instance, that FPTP is a democratic system. Already the EU has decided it is not acceptable for European elections. Logically they can come to no other conclusion. Whether they fudge it, as I said, will be down to political expediency.

Does it reflect equal access for all citizens before the law when the sovereign can examine , modify and step outside any new legislation, something the Queen appears to have done?

Can the government appoint any unelected person as a minister (Cameron ) and does that conform to EU norms on equality , election of government by secret ballot etc?

I could continue. The point is , there is plenty of scope for the EU to find fault with the UK democratic and legislative system. Only when it thoroughly examines it , and it cannot do so in ten seconds, will we know if it is compliant.

The EU is not going to decree that FPTP is not democratic, not least because it would seriously piss off the American, who use that system, to imply that the US is not a proper democracy. There is no mileage for the EU in doing this.

The decision to require PR systems for elections to the European Parliament does not imply that FPTP is "not democratic"; just a decision that the European Parliament should be proportionally representative. It doesn't logically follow that other electoral systems are undemocratic.

I don't think any EU Member State has a law or practice of "election of government by secret ballot". Ireland, for one, does not. Nor does the EU itself; neither the Ccommission nor the Council of Ministers are elected. And lots of EU Member States (again, including Ireland) can appoint, and have appointed, Ministers who are not elected people.

The newspaper report to which you link does not report Leyen saying anything about "a new EU". And there's nothing in there to support the claim that the EU can "abandon its own rules". The notion is silly, and even offensive. The EU can insist that, in member states "authority may only be exercised in accordance with documented laws", and at the same time it is itself unconstrained by its own rules? Seriously?

• Advertisement

No one could argue , for instance, that FPTP is a democratic system

Yes they could. Rather easily. It is clearly not the most representative of systems, but it is perfectly democratic. Several European countries also use a mixture of FPTP and a List system for their parliaments.

If you could continue with something with more basis then please do, but as one counter-example, we can and have appointed unelected people as Ministers. Half of Europe also has some form of monarchy.

It is utter fantasy to think that the EU would require a change in domestic constitutional matters of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭yagan

They are constitutional monarchies. There's no civil constitution betwixt the populace and head of state, which is why you end up with Henry viii laws being invoked.

England never really progressed at that level since the henrician split.

It's still a democracy. The idea that it isn't is ridiculous, pathetic, and objectively wrong.

H. H. Asquith

I was probably too imprecise with my language, Peregrinus. You are right , there is no reference to a 'new EU' but rather a reference to "younger generation " or " I keep telling my children, ‘you have to fix it, we goofed it up, you have to fix it’". I meant new personnel in the Commission/Council not a new institution . I was trying to avoid referencing van der Leyen's actual children. My broader point was that Brexit, for all its' faults, was done according to the written treaties of the EU. I think the EU did not 'goofed it up', But perhaps I am reading too much into her remarks.

On the matter of FPTP electoral system I find it hard to see it as a democratic process if by democratic we mean that all the people, the demos, have an equal input into the government process. Representative democracies surely must demonstrate that their electoral systems are representative, surely. I am not sure if what happens in America would have any influence. But if the Eu decide not to examine FPTP because of fear of American reaction that surely that is down to 'political expediency', the point i made in my post.

Germany elects a third of its legislature with FPTP.

But the total seats are then adjusted via a proportional weighted system to ensure that the Bundestag as a whole is representative of the proportion of voters for each party.

I would take FPTP any day over the way French Presidents are elected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the EU would do anything, including a new treaty, to avoid the Poland and Hungary situation, where a Gov can undermine the rule of law or their own constitution.

Historically, the EU have always allowed existing members leeway when it comes to new treaties, but the UK would be an applicant state, and therefore have to swallow all the then treaties whole. Remember, article 50 was introduced as a way to deal with Greece, not the UK.

A new treaty saying what exactly? Poland and Hungary both have more representative systems than the UK. I would also add that the whole Brexit fiasco showed that the judicial system in the UK is far more capable of restraining the Executive than in many countries. It was a win for the Rule of Law, despite the fact the governing party were trying to circumvent it.

• Advertisement

Fair. Actually quite similar to Scotland's system.

It could be argued that our own STV system is less representative than the party list system used in most of Europe. It is all a question of degrees. And there is no reason whatsoever for the EU to get itself involved in the Constitutional underpinnings of each member state.

Representative Democracy as a name comes from having a representative to act for you in the legislature. It does not actually mean that that legislature must be perfectly representative of the national votes. That is a contortion of the name.

Advertisement